Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 12:52am
Back in the 70s, possibly 80s, there were a couple of large bunker-like constructions on the shore between (I think) Seacombe and Egremont. They were in pretty poor condition, the tops were cracked and broken. I have no idea what they were or what they were used for (if anything) in the past. They were built up against the sea wall.

Can anyone help with info about these strange objects?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 2:21am
I was told as a kid that they were 'bathing stations' in victorian times. One for fellas, one for lasses. They by eggy ferry. Me dad aka 'coot' told me that
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 2:23am
Ie 'bathing stations' i mean a place to get into swimwear!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 3:25am
Doubt in the 1970s or 80s they were "bathing stations" as they tended to be 'wooden wagons' on wheels that could be moved with the tide. They were often found nearer to New Brighton / Harrison Drive area.

Something I will look into...
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 11:23am
Thanks for the replies.

By 1970s these structures were looking pretty dilapidated and the thought of getting inside them would be pretty unpleasant! But if they were Victorian they'd be 100 years old (pre-dating Guinea Gap Baths?) so not surprising they were in a bad way.

I've an idea there were steps built into the front or side of them but I might be imagining that. Haven't got a photo to check, unfortunately.
Posted By: buddy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 11:39am
I remember these structures well - don't know what they were for, but fairly sure there wasn't an entrance to them - they just appeared to be huge concrete blocks
Posted By: william Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 4:06pm
Were they not bunkers from WWII? There were quite a few of them after the war along the mouth,. of the Mersey and beyond.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 30th Jan 2010 4:42pm
I can recall the steps built 'into' the concrete blocks. I'd go up the steps, walk the length and then be lifted off
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 11:51am
I don't know what these were for but remember playing on them when the tide was in by putting one of the ladders over the railings. If anyone had moved the ladders we would of been stuck. They couldn't of been bunkers as the tide would bring the water over them. Here's a picture of them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: buddy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 1:12pm
Thanks for the photo ahbaldy - brought back memories
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 6:32pm
Great photo - they look smaller than I remember, but I guess there was less sand in the 70s! I wonder what date that picture was taken?
Posted By: john1788 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 7:06pm
here is another view

thanks for the pic go to ahbaldy

Attached picture yw98.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 7:31pm
Slightly off topic but whats that building at top of slipway?
Great pics btw and yes they do look smaller than i remembered. Hmmm, dying to know what they are.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 7:37pm
for any info or pics of eggy ferry ahbaldy is the man to ask/pm. he has loads of pics of that area.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 7:51pm
think the buildings are the Egremont Ferry pub on the left and on the right Davy Jones Locker a club which was all that was left of the Egremont ferry and pier
Posted By: Tatey Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 9:11pm
They wouldn't be anchor blocks with chains connected to the pier would they?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 10:30pm
They may just be breakers to stop waves going over the buildings. Or caps over large sewer outlets.

Seem to remember some blocks a bit smaller than that by woodside area, these were below surface water outfalls and were there to stop massive holes being dug into sand/mud by the cascading water.
Posted By: MrG65 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 10:39pm
Took these blocks out in 1996 as part of the Wall/groyne works. They were hollow (would have cost a lot more if solid!). I was led to understand they were 'alongside' facilities for ferry boats, similar to the vertical/horizontal timber latticework that existed around Egremont headland (grooves for the verticals still visible).
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 2nd Feb 2010 11:52pm
This is a picture of the buildings at the top, taken in 1908. On the right was the night club, Davey Jones Locker. Then in the middle was the old payments booths for the ferry which they took apart and was used by a sailing club. Then on the left was the old bandstand.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 12:01am
Here's a picture for you before the 2 blocks were built and look at the town hall!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 12:29am
According to Wikipedia the Town Hall opened in 1916. Again it would be good to get dates for these pictures. I much prefer the idea that the blocks were to do with the ferries than that they were sewage caps! (Where are the outlets on this bit of the coast? All I can think of is the sewage pipe at Harrison Drive that was between where the old shalets were and where the Derby Pool was.)

Fantastic info coming in - thanks for helping to answer one of those little mysteries I lived with as long as I can remember!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 8:53am
I've seen a picture in one of my Wirral books (cue for scrabble through the bookshelves) showing a Wallasey ferry beached near Egremont. Done on purpose for a quick inspection job or to remove anything caught in one of the propellors etc.

Remember my Dad telling me that when this happened, hoards of youngsters would be on the beach to have a look.

The ferry wasn't near the wall or those blocks though. Quite a few yards offshore. MMmmmmmm ?
Posted By: buddy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 9:42am
(Where are the outlets on this bit of the coast? All I can think of is the sewage pipe at Harrison Drive that was between where the old shalets were and where the Derby Pool was.)

There were sewage pipes between Seacombe Ferry and Guinea Gap (nearer Seacombe Ferry)- Two I think
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 10:03am
I remember the boats being beached for repairs, seem quiet often but things were always bigger aswell. Here's a picture of the mountwood being re-floated.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 10:31am
Thanks ahbaldy. Saves a visit into dry dock. Reeeeeeeel cheap !
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 10:33am
Nice pics, fond memories of Seacombe,Egremont.
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 10:42am
Talking about beaching boats, here'e a good one in New Brighton.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 11:21am
I wonder if this was a deliberate beaching or not? I seem to recall the "beach" around the lighthouse is exposed rock. Not a good place for the old girl to rest her bottom !

Maybe the skipper had been on the cooking sherry and turned right a bit too soon ?? One of those "Oh sh*t" moments !

Another great pic. Thanks.
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 12:25pm
Is it an Isle of Man boat? I can just make out King Orry at the bottom of the photo.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 12:27pm
Yes, one of the pre-war I.O.M. Steam Packet Co's vessels. I think there were two more King Orry's after her.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 12:48pm
wikipedia says the King Orry (3) in the above photo was one of the company's losses during the Dunkirk evacuation in WW2.
Posted By: ahbaldy Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 1:27pm
I bet no one remembers this beaching, must be one of the first. It's the Great Eastern Of The Mersey in 1889

[Linked Image]
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 1:39pm
Ahem. Great Eastern... wink
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 2:58pm
On a recent holiday to Salcombe, Devon, we had a trip in an old lifeboat. The crew heard our accents and said they had one of our ferrys in Salcombe Harbour. They took us up to see it and it was the Egremont.....all in one piece and being used for youth training activities,
Posted By: john1788 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 3:28pm
this is the ex wallasey corpy ferry egremont in salcombe,devon

Attached picture 800px-Egremont_ferry.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 3:33pm
It looks as if she's well maintained, unlike the poor Royal Iris. Would look even better if they re-painted the funnel with a black topping (as was)and did away with the obvious add-on shelter on the afterdeck. That looks a bit tatty. However.....
Posted By: john1788 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 3:39pm
if you think that she's the same age as the royal iris she is doing well me thinks..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 5:01pm
Agreed !!
Posted By: Wheels Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 5:44pm
amazing thread and pictures guys! thanks for all you effort.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 6:11pm
Looks good externally, but all machinery has been removed.

Bob.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 6:23pm
Interesting thread. I have a couple of recent shots I took of the Royal Iris and Royal Daffodil in the same place but at different times.

Attached picture 100_4417 [800x600].JPG
Attached picture 100_1614 [800x600].JPG
Posted By: jimbob Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 6:44pm
there is an piece and photo about that I. O. M. ferry on the beach at N. B. in one of the wirral books by Ian Bo-? It was after a storm I think.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 6:48pm
I Thanks jimbob. I posted those pictures in the wrong thread and it won't let me delete them now. blush eek
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 8:15pm
I stayed on board the Egremont about ten years ago in Salcombe - it was pretty basic but better than having it destroyed.
Posted By: abcdefgh The Egremont Salcombe - 3rd Feb 2010 8:27pm
Thats just how we saw the Egremont, brilliant photo....thanks for that
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 8:30pm
What was it like on board? any photos?
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 3rd Feb 2010 9:50pm
I did have some photos but they've gone AWOL...

My overwhelming memory is of rust! It could have done with a coat of sealant/paint or two. Fixtures and fittings all looked original (including moth-eaten mock-velvet on some of the seat coverings) but it was functional (shower = hosepipe) rather than luxurious!
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 4th Feb 2010 3:24pm
Thanks for that Ros,
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 11th Feb 2010 10:44pm
It would be great if the Mersey could have all the old ferries in service again, including the sinking Iris, but this is fantasy....
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 11th Feb 2010 11:00pm
Im interested in the ferry stuff but i would really like the original 'topic' answering-what where the concrete blocks for?
Posted By: MrG65 Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 11th Feb 2010 11:12pm
I thought I had a stab at that earlier in the thread - something to do with the ferry coming alongside shifty

I remember the excavations around the headland where Egremont Ferry was as part of the 1996/1997 wall works - some large cast iron gear wheels were unearthed - part of the original machinery that used to extend and retract the end portion of Egremont Ferry. A consequence of the large tidal range in the Mersey. The end of the landing stage could be extended or retracted from a motor house on the prom.

One of the Contractor's engineers got a whole load of old coins from under the line of the old ferry landing stage once excavations commenced - he had a metal-detector. All the coins must have been dropped by people passing on and off the old ferry.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 11th Feb 2010 11:18pm
Apologies, i thought this was a theory!
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 12th Feb 2010 12:03am
I posted this on wrong thread I think
Posted By: johnk Re: Seacombe to Egremont - sea wall - 10th Mar 2010 10:00pm
As a lad in the 50's I often swam off these Blocks when the tide was in, we use to call them the 'Boomdocks' and I was led to believe they were part of the Egremont Ferry Pier that had been struck by a ship in 1947 and was dismantled, incidently the building is part of the old ferry buildings and was used for a social/youth club for some time in the 50's. out of sight with just the canapy showing is the main ferry building which was used by the West Cheshire Sailing Club to store dinghies and where I learnt to sail.

nb; we always swam on the incoming tide because they released raw sewage from Liverpool when the tide was going out and you had to dodge the 'Mersey goldfish'.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral