Forums
Posted By: hayabusa bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 5:46pm
hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows the location of any sites, im more into urban exploring but just fancy trying to locate some old victorian refuse sites to have a dig about,
thanks
Posted By: lansyp Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 5:58pm
dont know if its true but the allotments in bebington near tesco used to be a victorian dump but i could be wrong
Posted By: Snodvan Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 6:36pm
I seem to remember a past post about a bottle dump at Moreton Common (?)

Snod
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 7:05pm
One of the lads in work has been digging Victorian dumps for years. He will know every site on the Wirral but I am not working with him at the moment. I remember him telling me about one next to Woodchurch road next to the Cricket club. He was also poking round the building site off Gorsey lane in Wallesy (behind Somerville health centre. The site of the old school)when we where working on the health centre. It was also a Victorian dump. Most of it was just broken glass but he found a couple of intact bottles and a pipe. You could see the layers of soil and glass where they had dug the trenches for the drains.
If I see him I will try and find out more locations for you.
Posted By: 24424m Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 7:26pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
I remember him telling me about one next to Woodchurch road next to the Cricket club.

Whereabouts on Woodchurch Road do yo mean - I may have a nosey myself?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 7:46pm
I could have got the wrong end of the stick when he was explaining it but I think he was on about the area at bottom of the hill by the roundabout that joins to the motorway. I did not work out the exact location he was on about. I remember him saying that a large mound there used to be a big pond that was filled up with household rubbish in the Victorian era. Sorry to be so vague but I was not that interested at the time so I did not try to get any more information. He has dug there before so it must be on a bit of exposed waste land.
Posted By: 24424m Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 7:55pm
Right - I think you may mean the Old Instonians field, which is on the immediate right if you come down Swan Hill and go under the railway bridge (i.e. over the fender but before the motorway junction)?

If so, I recall this was completely churned up during the motorway excavation work, and reinstated as a field later, so may or may not be too promising now in terms of potential finds?

Edit - or perhaps Solly Rec, a field on the right behind the houses on Woodchurch Road just before the railway bridge?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: bottle digging - 7th Jan 2010 8:20pm
ask Robbo about when is his next trip with volunteers for digging in Williamsons tunnels in Liverpool
UE and finding things
Posted By: hayabusa Re: bottle digging - 8th Jan 2010 6:23pm
thanks for your help fellas
Posted By: pacef8 Re: bottle digging - 8th Jan 2010 7:56pm
yeh we found allsorts when we where on the tunnel dig, mostly shells and rubble but you name it and the history of liverpool went down that place.
Watch for the next dig announcement and come along to help.

ta

pace
Posted By: Anonymous Re: bottle digging - 8th Jan 2010 8:16pm
Shells.... as in seashore, or shells as in BANG ! ?
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: bottle digging - 9th Jan 2010 4:14pm
Originally Posted by 24424m
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
I remember him telling me about one next to Woodchurch road next to the Cricket club.

Whereabouts on Woodchurch Road do yo mean - I may have a nosey myself?

I deffo remember a sh*t load of old bottles half way down townfield lane on the left when it used to be a field , where flatt lane is now , if you go a bit past the flatt lane junction theres a bit of grassy patch with some bushes close to the new houses where you could have a dig also theres a substation just up from the corner of shavington which has a strange patch of moss running towards the bushes across the grass .
it has always puzzled me why is it moss and not grass surley it must be concrete under the moss or something??

im not an expert on geology but this site has learnt me the tell tail signs of non natural patches of land that i never noticed before
Posted By: kimpri Re: bottle digging - 9th Jan 2010 6:30pm
Go through Bidston village Stop by the pub on left walk down the old road over the railway bridge, Were the hedgerow starts dig under them on both sides loads of old bottles there?
you will see were its been dug before. smile
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: bottle digging - 11th Jan 2010 8:57am
Ahh good stuff smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: bottle digging - 15th Jan 2010 9:45pm
field on ashville road seacombe, used to be a brewery there wink

the field next to wallasey tunnel approach rd
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: bottle digging - 15th Jan 2010 10:22pm
I spoke to the guy in work yesterday who I mentioned before about potential sites but it seems the hardcore bottle digging community are a tight lipped secretive bunch. He said he only tells people about the sites that are no longer accessible. I suppose they want to keep them secret so no one else gets there first. I tried anyway.
Posted By: Wench Re: bottle digging - 15th Jan 2010 11:35pm
Busa - we used to get ours at Otterspool. Got lots from there and they were all intact - beer bottles, pharmacy bottles etc.
Posted By: john1788 Re: bottle digging - 18th Jan 2010 12:41am
Hi all,don't know if this is of any help but around 20 yrs ago my dad worked on the level crossing at leasowe station and went for a look at a hole that the diggers had made where the new houses are now and found 2 old glass bottles,1 has MAYBLOSSOM B&DMWMCoLo BIRKENHEAD..it's also got a cork inside it...the 2nd has got THE FLINTSHIRE FARMERS LTD WALLASEY AND BIRKENHEAD on the front and on the bottom J BARLOW 79 VAUXHALL RD LIVERPOOL..2 nice old bottles that iv'e kept for some reason.He also found some other bits and bobs but can't remember what and he's not around anymore to ask.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: bottle digging - 18th Jan 2010 7:15pm
Pics of the bottles. wink
Posted By: john1788 Re: bottle digging - 19th Jan 2010 2:22pm
a milk bottle and a codd bottle i think but no idea of dates.

Attached picture 096.jpg
Attached picture 097.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral