Forums
Posted By: derekdwc the boundaries between New Ferry, Bebington - 27th Dec 2009 3:10pm
what are the boundaries between New Ferry, Port Sunlight and Lower Bebington

trying to decide if these pubs were New Ferry or Bebington or Port Sunlight
all were close to Bebington Station

Queen's, Wirral Bebington Road, Wirral, Merseyside
Station Hotel, Wirral Bebington Road, Wirral, Merseyside
Railway Inn (de Railway (The Railway)) Bebington Road New Ferry
Posted By: derekdwc Re: the boundaries between New Ferry, Bebington - 27th Dec 2009 3:33pm
just read on Trearans' site

http://www.newferryonline.org.uk/

the boundary between Lower Bebington and New Ferry is the railway line

so the pubs are in New Ferry
Posted By: SUExx Re: the boundaries between New Ferry, Bebington - 27th Dec 2009 3:34pm
its hard to say, the aldi right were the queens was is known as aldi bebington store but i would have said it was new ferry store and under beb bridge is lower beb, as i live by the aldi i say im in new ferry on the border of bebington.
Posted By: SUExx Re: the boundaries between New Ferry, Bebington - 27th Dec 2009 3:38pm
so i was right then, common sense really. But aldi like it to be known as bebington.
The Wirral council website used to show a map for townships within the council area. I don't think the map has survived the website update. Here it is -

Description: Townships within Wirral council area
Attached picture Townships - Wirral council area.jpg
I cannot give the date that the townships in the previously posted map were established.
In the 1844 tithe, OS c1875 and OS c1910 maps the areas now shown as New Ferry and Port Sunlight were within Lower Bebington township.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: the boundaries between New Ferry, Bebington - 28th Dec 2009 2:23pm
thanks for the map and info
Posted By: Trearan Re: the boundaries between New Ferry, Bebington - 4th Feb 2010 12:35am
Originally Posted by susan
so i was right then, common sense really. But aldi like it to be known as bebington.

Susan is quite correct - the snobs who run Aldi decided that "Bebington" was a more middle-class location than "New Ferry", so - although their store is built in NEW FERRY - they thought they were close enough to "the border" to get away with calling it "Aldi Bebington" to attract a higher class of clientele. They'd better watch out, because us New Ferry ruffians might decide to set up border control posts under the railway bridges and charge a toll for those upper-crustie Bebingtonians coming onto our patch to buy their groceries cheaper than Asda (which itself is located in that remote corner of East Wirral known as Bromborough) laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral