Forums
Posted By: Christine12 Dawstone Park, Heswall - 14th Dec 2009 9:20pm
Does anyone know anything about the history of Dawstone Park in Heswall? I believe it was owned by ancestors of mine, the Edges, throughout the 1800s?

Thanks smile
Posted By: kimpri Re: Dawstone Park, Heswall - 14th Dec 2009 11:54pm
The Park was opened to the public in 1931. Heswall Lower Village Conservation Area was designated in April 1979; its boundaries are drawn to encompass the original nucleus of the small fishing village, which pre-dated the suburban expansion of Heswall after the arrival of the railway in the late nineteenth century, as well as some of the earliest and best of the later suburban development. The heart of the original settlement, based around Village Road, Raby Close and The Lydiate, can still be discerned and retains much of the character of a typical English Village, including its church and rectory, public house, village hall, shops and groups of cottage scale dwellings, and former farm buildings such as Lydiate Farm and the Old Smithy.
Resources:
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dawstone Park, Heswall - 15th Dec 2009 12:16am
Nice one kp
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Dawstone Park, Heswall - 15th Dec 2009 9:33pm
The Edges of Heswall in 1851 can be found by -
1. go to http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/Search.aspx#Tab4
2. choose Heswall in the dropdown list, Search

You should get 13 pages listing all Heswall properties on the 1851 tithe map. At the end of each appropriate line (i.e. showing a member of the Edge family) click on 'Map' and you will be taken to the relevant plot on the tithe map.

NB - that site does not work well with Firefox - if that's your normal browser try using IE instead
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Dawstone Park, Heswall - 17th Dec 2009 6:12pm
This is great info - thanks all!!
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Dawstone Park, Heswall - 17th Dec 2009 6:16pm
Just looked at website - this is really useful thanks greasby_lad smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral