Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 1:28pm
[Linked Image]

^Picture taken in 1960.

I've always presumed that this pub was the old 'Nags Head' on Rake Lane, Wallasey but the licensee of the Pub says it is not. John Humphreys, the licensee, asked regulars and all confirmed that its not the pub that once stood where Stanleys Cask stands today (Rake Lane). The pub being demolished and the new Nags Head being built a little further down.

In a book called "Wallasey From Old Photographs" it does have the same photo listed as the Nags Head on Rake Lane. All very confusing.

Anyone shed any light on it?
Posted By: john1788 Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 1:38pm
could it be the farmers arms in wallasey village
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 1:43pm
Its got a Nags head on the pub sign.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 2:19pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Its got a Nags head on the pub sign.

The general feeling is its a "Nags Head" in a totally different part of England! For years this picture has floated about and people have said its the old Nags Head on Rake Lane...but...could that be a mistake that has continued on for some years? Looking at the buildings next to the pub they don't fit what was there before!

It's a bobby dazzler!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 2:36pm
Originally Posted by john1788
could it be the farmers arms in wallasey village

I was going with that thinking as the design is similar. The building to the right would then be the Phoenix Cinema and the buildings to the left being demolished to make way for a car showroom. Without pictorial evidence I can't verify that thinking.

...but...there is this picture :-

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 2:40pm
Should of added The Farmers Arms modern day picture

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 4:25pm
Paul , I have a faint memory of a very similar type of pub up on Moreton Cross, years and years ago, when I was a kid. Haven't been up there for ages so don't know what the cross is like now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 5:18pm
That could be The Grange you are referring to?

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ange_47_Hoylake_Rd_Moret.html#Post289061

Posted By: daisy_kat Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 6:49pm
this looks like the pub at moreton cross to me too. the buildings surrounding it do no look like any in wallasey old or new.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 7:01pm
The only one I can think of that even comes close to the design is the Plough Inn in Moreton

[Linked Image]

Will have to dig out some maps...
Posted By: smallboat Re: Where is this pub? - 3rd Dec 2009 11:51pm
Hi Paul this is the royal oak in liscard. i remember it as a child. Hope this helps
Posted By: delta6 Re: Where is this pub? - 4th Dec 2009 12:32pm
Originally Posted by smallboat
Hi Paul this is the royal oak in liscard. i remember it as a child. Hope this helps

i was going to say that too mate.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Where is this pub? - 4th Dec 2009 2:34pm
That's not the one Paul, I distinctly remember a pub with mock Tudor frontage, the missus remembers it too, it's just a bit hazy about the exact configuration of it. It's just that it was so impressive at the time. When we saw it we knew that the shore wasn't far away. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution. Even the candy twist chimney stacks are striking, a lovely building.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where is this pub? - 4th Dec 2009 2:42pm
Bandy, your thinking of the Coach and horses on Moreton Cross or is it just the Coach.

Attached picture coach1.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Where is this pub? - 4th Dec 2009 3:08pm
is there still a Nags Head in Wallasey
if so any pics of it please
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 4th Dec 2009 5:36pm
[Linked Image]

I can't see it being the Royal Oak as the shape just doesn't fit right. Unless the origianl Royal Oak was pulled down and the one pictured is the new one then it makes sense but the roof is completely different and so are the windows. I appareciate some windows can be knocked together but thats a lot of work.

The question therefore is..if it is the Oak then the one that is present in Liscard has to be a rebuilt one? I've never heard of the Oak being demolished as it was part of 'Dean's Terrace' which were built in 1782 and the Oak is the only surving part of it.

Hmm, food for thought!!
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Where is this pub? - 9th Dec 2009 3:02pm
Perhaps this link might solve the problem?

http://www.chesterwalls.info/nagshead.html
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where is this pub? - 9th Dec 2009 3:09pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred

Well done that man!! Huge thank you for solving the question.

Posted By: bert1 Re: Where is this pub? - 9th Dec 2009 3:11pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred

Reckon so.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Where is this pub? - 9th Dec 2009 3:12pm
There are a few Royal Oaks on the Wirral maybe it's a completely different one like Neston or Bromborgh??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Where is this pub? - 9th Feb 2010 2:45pm
Just noticed along the CHESTER Nags Head it now has "built 1597, rebuilt 1914" written along the top of the building, it also has a rebuilt date of 1920 or 1980 (can't tell from photies), as well, guess it is "restored 1980" when Boots took it over.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Where is this pub? - 18th Feb 2014 8:32am
Stanley's Cask is the old Nag's head. Whitbread's built the new one further down and transferred the licence at midnight as was the custom. They sold the old Nag's Head and were very concerned when it re opened as a pub. They had slipped up badly and not thought about this happening. They tried to take legal action but failed. The old Nag's Head had a public bar in the front. It had a huge gas lamp still fitted in the ceiling but not working right up until being sold. The site where the 'New Nag's Head' was built was previously occupied by prefabs.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral