Forums
I'm doing a conservation project for a college course and we're focusing on the Dee Estuary, sort of the last 100 years and the major changes that occured due to people and industry. We will be making it into a sort documentary film and I'm looking for old photographs that we can use, if anyone has photos of bathing in Parkgate, family members who mined in Neston, or if anyone has family that help build the canal to Chester and trainlines going from Wallasey direct to Wrexham, it would be fantastic to hear from you.
There's tons of stuff in the 'Yesterday's Wirral' series of books. Get from the library.
I've seen those and we will be asking permission to use images from them. I wanted unseen ones, ones that maybe people have forgotten about maybe find out the stories behind them.
I've attached a couple of photos if this is the sort of thing you want private mail me an email and i will send you a load.I can also put you in touch with the parkgate society who will be able to give you loads of information

Attached picture parkgate landing the fish.jpg
Attached picture parkgate baths 1930s.jpg
Attached picture paddling at parkgate c1900.jpg
My comp isn't allowing me to pm you, they are fantastic photos!
If you could that would be fantastic, we will reference you for allowing us to use your images. It would be brilliant if you could put me in touch with the Parkgate Society.
If you know any stories behind any of your photo's we would love to hear them!
I did the same MANY years ago for a project at school, the history and workings of Parkgate. Sorry, but dont have the material as reference to help you. Have some books with many maps over the years of the tidal patterns and silting of the area.
Birkenhead History Society has a talk on Feb 18th 2010 "Slave Ships of Neston and Parkgate" by Anthony Annakin-Smith. He's an excellent speaker and this subject will surprise many people.
http://www.birkenheadhistorysociety.org.uk/page2/page3/page3.html
Mostyn House School may be of some help. I attened there in 1950's when the tide still came in everyday. It is still run by the Grenfell family. They also owned the sea water baths. I can recall the then headmaster AMD Grenfell showing us some pre WW2 colour film of sand yachting off Parkgate. They may have some interesting photos and other stuff - no harm in asking is there.
I'll check them out, didn't really think about asking at the school. thankyou!
I think Anthony Annakin-Smith had his exhibition on (the one he did in May) this weekend, one of the girls I'm working with said she was going down there to have a look. So hopefully she has lots of info!
Thank you to everyone, it's really fantastic that their are still people out their willing to give advice and help out!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral