Forums
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Dock Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 2:27pm
Hello

Im intreagued as to what these buildings once were. If you were heading down towards the motorway from Mill Lane and turned right onto the dock road past the tate & lyle there are some really old looking buildings that are currently being demolised. Whenever i pass them i always wonder what they were and that would of liked to have a look in, they looked so spooky. Does anyone know? Sorry i have very little information on them and their location. Cant get hold of a google street map. I will carry on trying to get some more ifo if i can.

Im new to this site so please be gentle. smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 2:36pm
Hi m.l welcome to wiki. I think, but not sure that they were just warehouses?
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 2:44pm
Thanks! Do you know if they might have a name? They look a little more interesting than just a warehouse.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 2:48pm
No. Sorry. Sure someone on here will know tho...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 3:43pm
Sounds like the Wallasey Wharf buildings that once stored Ore. A map of 1909 shows that the building occupied the site but an early building has been situated there since 1875.

Posted By: jimbob Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 11th Oct 2009 8:32pm
THOSE BUILDINGS WHERE USED FOR OIL STORAGE {DRUMS} DURING AND AFTER THE 2ND WORLD WAR
Posted By: bigpete Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 12th Oct 2009 1:41pm
Shown on the 1909 map as 'Petroleum Storage Depot'.

Most recently was occupied by United Molasses/Tate and Lyle.

The petrol storage explains the heavy construction in concrete arches known as casemates.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 12th Oct 2009 2:07pm
Ah I am with you now ,I always thought that they were bomb proof storage for petrol, mean't to take some pictures of them getting knocked down.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 12th Oct 2009 2:58pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
Shown on the 1909 map as 'Petroleum Storage Depot'.

Most recently was occupied by United Molasses/Tate and Lyle.

The petrol storage explains the heavy construction in concrete arches known as casemates.

I was looking at the building next door! At least we covered the area!
Posted By: bigpete Re: Dock Road Wallasey - 15th Oct 2009 9:27am
For some unknown reason they are also taking down the substantial red brick wall of the Wallasey Gasworks - next door - as well.

This wall is only about 10 years old......
© Wirral-Wikiwirral