Forums
Posted By: Christine12 Mersey Park School - 24th Sep 2009 10:47pm
Does anyone know anything about the tunnels underneath Mersey Park Primary? I was there recently and one of the staff told me about them, she'd been down there so they definitely exist. I'm not sure if they're tunnels as such, perhaps more of an underground area? She also told me it was used as a hospital during the war and she wondered if the underground areas were anything to do with the war.
Just wondering as I find this interesting that a school would have underground 'tunnels'.
I can find nothing on the www about the school or it being used as a hospital.
Thanks
Posted By: oggie Re: Mersey Park School - 25th Sep 2009 12:06am
I grew up around there and went to Mersey Park school.I've never heard of tunnels under the school,but I have been told of tunnels under Mersey Park,that were a continuation of the air raid tunnels on Old Chester Road.My Mum(1941) was born in Sidney road as was her Father(1907)They both mentioned tunnels to me under the park,stretching as far as Storeton woods.

Chris.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Mersey Park School - 25th Sep 2009 6:16am
i remember being told years ago that there was a tunnel which was an emergency escape tunnel from tranmere tunnel.this was supposed to go under mersey park and exit in victoria park around the area where the swings are, but having never heard any other person talk about i dismissed it.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mersey Park School - 25th Sep 2009 8:54am
Although I've no personal knowledge, all the research I and others have done on the Tranmere tunnels shows that the tunnels got no nearer than 400 yards to the school, but who knows what's yet to be discovered?
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Mersey Park School - 25th Sep 2009 7:19pm
Thanks everyone. The member of staff said she'd been down there and the way she described it, although she called them tunnels, I think it sounded more like an underground area rather than tunnels leading anywhere. The caretaker confirmed this. I was wondering if perhaps they had anything to do with the war but I would assume the underground area had always been there since the school was built.

I hope to work there again soon so I can find out a bit more information which I will share straight away!!

Thanks again everyone!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral