Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Alotments in New Ferry Park - 18th Sep 2009 7:04pm
Anyone remember the alotments in New Ferry Park?
my Nan told me years ago that her Dad (Great Granddad) had one there, i was wondering how long they were there? Great Granddad died in 1925 so it was before then.
chris.
Posted By: Trearan Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 1st Nov 2009 3:34am
The park was laid out circa 1896, so it is likely the allotments were there just before this time. Up until then, the site of the park was a mixture of old pasture land and former clay pits that had been allowed to fill with water - like a series of ponds. It is likely that water was drawn from the ponds to put onto the growing vegetables. It would be assumed that when the Council put the park there, the allotments disappeared.
Posted By: kaycee Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 26th Jan 2010 4:51pm
I went to Grove St school 1940-1947 the allotments were there then the boys playground backed on to them
Posted By: genlock Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 2nd Feb 2010 7:11pm
My Uncle Joe Murphy
had an allotment there, i went with him one sunday in early 1960s
where he kept some ferrets ..
I was only around 10 at the time but can remember being bitten by one , i asked my mum about it some years ago and she said It had only nipped me as a sign of effection.

I think My uncle shared the plot with his mate "Snowy" Jimmy white, the allotments backed on to the railway land that ran up from Beb station up to rock ferry, and you could get to them from a small lane that ran up from O'Kells shop on Bebington rd..

joe.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 2nd Feb 2010 7:55pm
Originally Posted by kaycee
I went to Grove St school 1940-1947 the allotments were there then the boys playground backed on to them

So did I mamy moons later.

Here is map 1898 of New Ferry Park so might answer some of the questions :-

[Linked Image]

Posted By: genlock Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 2nd Feb 2010 8:29pm
Nice one Paul, !
From your map i can tell you where the alotments were in the 1960s, looking from the bottom left near the railway line is an Old clay pit, to the right of this is a plot with the No's 286 & 260, this is where the alotments were, my Great Uncle's plot would of been close to the School( grove st ) and the police station.

This area now has houses on it but in the late sixties and early seventies had Council built masonets and flats here.

Joe
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 2nd Feb 2010 10:41pm
Map about 1955

Description: New Ferry Allotments C1955
Attached picture Newferry-Allotments-C1955.jpg
Posted By: kaycee Re: Alotments in New Ferry Park - 3rd Feb 2010 10:55am
I agree with Genlock,The police station was in Grove St you turned right to the school and the park was right next to it. Sorry did not see later map which explains all. I remember happy days at Grovie
© Wirral-Wikiwirral