Forums
Posted By: Handbag Laird's in 1930 somethings - 31st Aug 2009 11:47am
Hi All

I've recently ben doing some research on my family tree. I've come across information on my Grandfather Mr Harold Bibby who was aparently the Managing director of Cammel Lairds around the 1930's. He lead some sort of strike in support of the 'International Brigade' and the Spanish Civil war. He was then sacked from Lairds and Blacklisted and couldnt find work again in Wirral. He then went on to join the army...

Does anyone know where I would find information about this? I've tried looking through Lairds websites and for information on the Spanish Civil war and the international brigade. I am going to try the Archives at Cheshire Lions building, but any information would be vey welcome!
Posted By: mrallen Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 31st Aug 2009 1:48pm
I could be wrong but I think I heard that all of the records from Lairds have long since been destroyed.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 31st Aug 2009 5:42pm
I think the archives have loads on lairds, the last time i was in there a gentleman was drawing quite a lot out on lairds, Your grandfather must have been involved in the support strike after 1936 as the International Brigade wasn't formed until late 1936 and as you probably know the Spanish civil war was 36 to 39.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 31st Aug 2009 8:40pm
I asked the girls at the archive office about the rock ferry latin american riots. this may be the same thing but they knew nothing about it.

Births deaths marriages may be better

pace
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 31st Aug 2009 8:44pm
my grandfather was a boilermaker at Lairds and joined the International Brigade
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 1st Sep 2009 8:44am
I have a book given to me called 'there is no turning back' published around 1980, it is all about the international brigade, I forget the guy who wrote it but it is very local as he was a docker in liverpool. It could provide you with a lot of information and name and also photos. A google search for the book I did turned up a few results but a copy of of the book was going for considerably more that my father paid for it.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 1st Sep 2009 9:38am
There's no turning by by frank deegan, by doing a quick google search.
Posted By: Handbag Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 1st Sep 2009 3:58pm
Thanks Merseyman =)
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Laird's in 1930 somethings - 2nd Sep 2009 8:32am
If you are having trouble finding the book, I wil dig it out for you, if it will help you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral