Forums
Posted By: Dizzygoth Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 26th Aug 2009 8:28am
Hi

I am new to this forum and I have been trawling my family's history. My Grandmother was married from 61 Flamank Street and I have just been reading Damburst and am interested to find that George Crighton who survived was noted as living with my Great-Great Grandparents. Does anyone know anything about what happened to him. Did he marry a Walker or was he just boarding with the family? I will be coming up to Birkenhead at Christmas to trawl through the library record.

Thanks a lot

D
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 26th Aug 2009 11:53am
There has been a book written about the dock disaster as I've read it, tons of info about it, forget what is was called now frown I got it from moreton library
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 26th Aug 2009 12:01pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums.../Re_Coffers_Dam_Disaster.html#Post277284

look here
Posted By: Dizzygoth Re: Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 26th Aug 2009 12:25pm
Thanks for the reply, I got the book. My friend's bought me a copy yesterday which I have already read and on page 30 & 31 it lists the dead and injured. George Crighton was the only one at the bottom of the pit to survive and he was staying at 61 Flamank Street which was my Great Great Grandparents house. The book gives information on what happened to the other survivors just not him and he disappears from the radar. I have looked on Ancestry as I would like to know if he married one of my ancestors or if he was just a lodger.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 26th Aug 2009 12:49pm
I think you might need to go to Census reports from 1911

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

or check for Marriage certificates.

Posted By: mrallen Re: Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 26th Aug 2009 5:21pm
I have got a George Crighton (platelayer) living at 1 Saxon Street on the 1915-16 Birkenhead Directory. Could this be him?
Posted By: Dizzygoth Re: Birkenhead Dock Disaster 1909 - 27th Aug 2009 7:47am
Ooo Could be. I have tried 1911 census there is only 2, one in Northumberland and one in Lancashire. Mr Allen thanks for the above I shall see if I can't find him.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral