Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Rushton Court - 23rd Aug 2009 10:13pm
does anyone know where Rushton Court was in Birkenhead?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rushton Court - 24th Aug 2009 12:14am
I think it was in the Waterloo Street area, but can't find it so far on maps from 1874 and 1911, it definately existed (somewhere!) in 1851 and there was some clearance there about that time.

I suspect it was wiped out by the railway junction between Jackson Streey and Old Chester Road (now Tunnel Road). Also missing is Meacock Street and Tory Place. Alternatively there is a block of housing between what is now Tunnel Road and Chester Street, I can't find detail for that area.

There may also have been a Rushton Court in Liverpool by Prussia Street (off Pall Mall) as well.

I don't know of any street maps for around 1850s Birkenhead, I guess the archives may have them, perhaps Birkenhead Central Library.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Rushton Court - 24th Aug 2009 7:59am
Try tythe maps of Cheshire you get a choice of dates for ordinance maps and modern, side by side on screen. It costs nowt and is great for research of areas
Posted By: angie Re: Rushton Court - 24th Aug 2009 6:30pm
Russel street Birkenhead
http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:dnMmqvKhlQoJ:www.wirral-mbc.gov.uk/history/Hw2_56k/insanitaryhousing.rtf+rushton+court+wirral&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
© Wirral-Wikiwirral