Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Raby Old Hall - 24th Jul 2009 8:35am
Does anyone have info or a link to a post about Raby Old Hall down near Raby Mere?? I am doing some local history research and cannot find anything about the site. I know it has been used as a Residential Home since the 60s. Is there a census that might indicate families who lived there in the past?
Posted By: little_pob Re: Raby Old Hall - 24th Jul 2009 1:06pm
The 'newest' census available to view is the 1911: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/census/

The library should have the electoral roll (not sure on how long they archive these for though).

Contact the owners they might be able to help you: http://www.wirral.autistic.org/information/howtofindus.php
Posted By: davew3 Re: Raby Old Hall - 24th Jul 2009 3:39pm
Google Books has a PDF of the Wirral Hundred by Mortimer 1843
it gives the a little piece on Raby manor but not the hall and it does say the manor at that time was held by the Earl of Shrewsbury

http://books.google.co.uk it has loads of digitized books.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 12:39am
ghostly1

I realise you may have looked here already.

The 1911 Census has this:
In an address search for Raby Hall:

the result was RABY MERE Raby Wirral Cheshire

For the full transcript of everyone in the household the price is 10 credits which cost between 83p and £1.16

For the original document of the census of the household the price is 30 credits which costs from £2.50 to £3.48

But I think you may have to pay an initial charge of £6.95 for 60 credits.

Its a while since I used it and can't remember what my first payment was.

1911 Census address search

The LDS Family Search has the 1881 Census for free but you need a name to search, which you might get from the 1911 census if you do that, and work backwards.

Family Search 1881 Census
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 1:20am
I can't sleep so done some searching for Raby Hall:

Two surnames have come up which are BAMFORD AND IRLAM

If you search the 1881 census mentioned in my previous post, for Edwin BAMFORD in Cheshire you will get the household of the family and servants in Raby Hall. I have copied the info but I don't think because of copyright I can put it on here.

On another site it says under Deaths for 5 May 1895,a W.A.Bamford,the son of the late Edwin Bamford, of Raby hall, Bromborough, England

Another site says - All Saints Church graveyard is the resting place of The Bamford family of Raby Hall

If you do a Google search for William Irlam "Raby Hall" (Raby Hall in quotes) you will find some info on William Irlam.

Hope this helps but you probably already have this by now!

I found it interesting reading though!!
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 10:46am
Many thanks for that information and yes I had read about some of those families but you have gone a step further with finding the grave sites. Are they in All Saints Church in Thornton Hough?

Regarding the Bamfords, it was them that made me follow the family trail as they also lived in Torpenhow in Frankby which I was originally looking into. So thanks for clarifyin that.

And regarding the house i have been looking at some old maps from around 1840s and it seems it did not exist then so must of been built later that century.

Also one other question, what is a provision merchant? as it seems most of the family heads of the household did this under employment. I presume its something to do with shipping and must of brought in some money!
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 10:49am
Oh and thanks for the info on the website and that book. I have ordered a copy from the library, going to have a good read when I get a chance.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 11:47am
Originally Posted by ghostly1

Also one other question, what is a provision merchant? as it seems most of the family heads of the household did this under employment. I presume its something to do with shipping and must of brought in some money!

A provision merchant was another name for a grocer (if you know what that is/was). I can't think of a single one left round here.
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 12:08pm
I wonder where his shop was? it must of been doing well for trading as his Father and son where provision merchants so business stayed with the family.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 1:10pm
For anyone researching family history etc, this site is brilliant once you can master the different search facilities!
You can save your search result as a PDF file.

Historical Directories

I done a quick search, so there maybe more in other directories, but this is what I found.

Gore's Directory of Liverpool & Birkenhead, 1900. Part 3: Trade & Official Directories

* note Bamford was found under "Merchant - Provision"

Bamford Brothers, 10 Mathew St and 53 Harrington St, W (I think the W means West)
Bamford & Co, 13 15 & 17 Victoria St. W

Here is the link which should work:
Bamford in 1900

So looks like they were quite a major dealer.

Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 1:14pm
Can you believe, I have just done a quick google search of "10 Mathew St" and it is "The Cavern Club is a rock and roll club at 10 Mathew Street, Liverpool"

You have got me hooked now but I must turn this pc off and do some work!!
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 25th Jul 2009 5:36pm
Regarding the graveyard

The info is here:
All Saints Church info
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 26th Jul 2009 9:31am
Many Thanks for that, I might look into the parish records about this family as they seem to be throwing up surprises everywhere.

Also noticed on that directory of provision merchants the name Garner which is the family that moved into the house after the Bamfords on the 1901 census. The Bamfords moved to Torpenhow and opened the open air hospital there.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Raby Old Hall - 27th Jul 2009 4:44pm
I went to Raby Hall a while back.. Dont know if it was previously Raby Old Hall tho... Link Here

Doc
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 30th Jul 2009 10:49am
Some pics of the stain glass windows in Raby Hall, there is writing around each of the knights legs that I can just about make out saying courage, scholarship and service. Dont know what this means?? Also I read somewhere that the hall was bought by a businessman at auction in 1975 for nearly £50,000 as a suprise for his wife. But she didnt want to move so he sold it in to the Wirral Autistic Society.Before that is was a nursing home and hotel and before that is was private residence. Built around 1855

Attached picture stainglass1.JPG
Attached picture stainglass2.JPG
Attached picture stainglass3.JPG
Attached picture stainglass4.JPG
Attached picture stainglass5.JPG
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 30th Jul 2009 10:55am
I also have found the bamford family grave stone thanks to topofthepops. Took some pics but not sure if i should put them on here. Is there any laws against taking pics of peoples headstones and putting them on forums??
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Raby Old Hall - 30th Jul 2009 5:34pm
Well done mate, i didnt manage to get inside.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 30th Jul 2009 10:10pm
Well done ghostly1 happy
Thanks for putting the photos up as well!

Regarding putting photos of headstones on - We used to put them on a forum for a family history, but now you have mentioned it I'm not sure about it.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 8:33am
ghostly1, I found an old journal as I was sorting out some books and found some info on Raby Hall. You might already have this but it is interesting reading etc. The journal is "Wirral Journal Vol. 2 No 6 Summer 1985"

I am including an image of the scanned page but I also have a pdf file which is the text taken using OCR from the image - but I can't seem to upload this to wikiwirral, will check this out.

=======================================
Raby Hall –

Yesterday and today
Rena Griffiths

Travellers taking that delightful rural lane between Bromborough and Raby village have often wondered about Raby Hall, its history and its residents. Until recently, only a plain wooden plaque set in the sandstone wall depicted the mansion's name: now, passing travellers are informed that this is Raby Hall Autistic Community.

Raby Hall was built in 1846 for Edwin Bamford, a well-known Liverpool merchant of the time. It was designed by Harvey Elmes, a leading Victorian architect who also designed St George's Hall in Liverpool. Raby Hall was eventually bought by Lord Leverhulme and became part of his estate: it was bought by the Wirral Autistic Society in 1975. The Society had as its main aim for many years the establishment of a residential community for autistic adolescents and adults: the size, layout and location of Raby Hall helped to make the place ideal for conversion to meet the requirements of a residential community. In November 1979, after extensive conversion work, the Hall was officially opened by HRH Princess Anne.

What goes on at Raby Hall? Inside, the young people work at pottery, jewelcraft, candle-making, screen printing, and knitting. Outside, the large vegetable gardens and greenhouses mean that, as well as receiving horticultural training, the residents are able to grow vegetables for their own use. But life is not all centred about the Hall: visits are made to West Kirby for swimming, to the local sports centre for badminton, and to the local Riding School.

A fascinating link between the past history of the Hall and its present use has been established through the discovery, during redecoration, of the Bamford Coat of Arms painted on the walls of the hall and staircase. The Bamford Arms have three linked rings, from which is a raised arm holding a flag emblazoned spear, the motto, Perseverantia Vincit, means Perseverance Conquers. This was considered to be a good omen for the project and, as the Arms were no longer in use, the Society gained permission to use them.

Inside the Hall, despite extensive conversion, much remains as a reminder of bygone days. A particularly beautiful window on the main staircase depicts, in stained glass, the Six Virtues, designed in the style of Burne Jones. The large craft room off the front hall, and the oak panelled sitting room, have ceilings in the Adam style. The ceiling in the craft room has been restored to its original glory, in authentic pastel colours, by a lecturer from Liverpool College of Art. In every way, Raby Hall retains its requirement of being a 'domestic dwelling' - of Raby Hall - a home with a small 'h'.

This is an extract taken from:
Wirral Journal Vol. 2 No 6 Summer 1985

Description: Raby Hall from Wirral Journal Vol. 2 No 6 Summer 1985
Attached picture Raby Hall from Wirral Journal  Vol. 2 No 6 Summer 1985 smaller2.jpg
Posted By: Nienna Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 9:18am
Ghostly...were you invited inside the hall to take those pics?

Did you see the wonderful pannelling in some rooms?

I have been inside Raby Hall several times. The society has done a magnificent job in keeping the tradtional look of the hall..and renovating the orginal works with sympathy to its style.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 9:27am
I was intrigued by this white mansion way back in March 1965 so took a slide. Looks like the left side is lower and not modernised:

Attached picture Raby Hall 3-65.jpg
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 10:45am
That is amazing the extra information thanks to topofthepops for the article and bri for the cracking image. I always wondered what it looked like originally. The Bamfords are the main part of my research but the building is interesting me even more. All very fascinating stuff. Will update you soon!!
Posted By: Nienna Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 3:06pm
How did you get those pics of the windows Ghostly?
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 3:57pm
I work there!
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 4:01pm
Originally Posted by ghostly1
I work there!

Lol thats cheating !
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 4:03pm
Well nobody asked me that before wink but certainly don't want any one thinking I was trespassing.

Been there about 12 months and always wondered about the history of the place.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 4:06pm
Its only tresspassing if you get caught ! pc
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raby Old Hall - 4th Aug 2009 5:57pm
The Bamford Family Grave if you having trouble reading it let me know and I'll write it down. These where the family that had Raby Hall built.

Description: The Bamford Family Gravestone
Attached picture Bamfordgrave1.JPG

Description: Edwin Bamford Grave
Attached picture bamfordgrave2.JPG

Description: Elizabeth Bamford Grave
Attached picture bamfordgrave3.JPG
Posted By: red40 Re: Raby Old Hall - 10th Sep 2009 6:28am
Interesting thread smile

I was googling Raby Hall and came across this site and joined. My family spent years researching Raby Hall to the point that we where contacting people who had done thesis's on the place from Liverpool University.

We obtained quite a lot of documents to do with wills, rights of sale, etc, etc, which was fascinating. To the point that we had gone as far as we could go.

Most of the facts about the Hall are correct apart from it being built for the Bamfords, which it wasn't, it was built for William Irlam and his wife around 1845ish (no definate date).

Ghostly, somewhere in the depths of Raby Hall/Grisedale Road, there will be a file containing the information we collated, I know it was used as part of a display/exhibition a few years ago.

Regards

Red

Oh and PS hello, I am new, LOL!
Posted By: red40 Re: Raby Old Hall - 10th Sep 2009 7:14am
I still have some of the information, and possibly the original file somewhere in the depths of the house. Off the top of my head the order of the families that lived there are:

William Irlam & Frances Irlam - William Irlam died of gout and comsumption

Frances Irlam (widow) married Thomas Hastings Irwin and moved to Southport

Edwin Bamford & Family

Fearney family (shipbuilders/brokers)

Mounsey (family)

Wirral Autistic Society.

The stained glass window to the mid landing was not part of the original house and was we believe added by the Bamfords, when the stair width was increased to add the stained glass.

Although it was never confirmed (i.e there was never any paperwork) Raby Hall was originally to be built in Rock Park, cant remember how we came to that conclusion, if I remember I will let you know.

Posted By: red40 Re: Raby Old Hall - 10th Sep 2009 7:31pm
Found it, the reason we thought the Hall was to be built in Rock Park was that in Harvey Lonsdale Elmes's (the architect) fathers memoirs listed that Elmes had been involved with a building for William Irlam in 1845 which was described as 'a villa at Rock Ferry for William Irlam'.

However since the Elmes family came from down south, it was always going to be possible that Wirral was Rock Ferry dunno
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Raby Old Hall - 7th Jul 2012 9:01pm
how did you get pictures off Raby Hall.do you work there
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Raby Old Hall - 7th Jul 2012 9:07pm
Originally Posted by Nienna
Ghostly...were you invited inside the hall to take those pics?

Did you see the wonderful pannelling in some rooms?

I have been inside Raby Hall several times. The society has done a magnificent job in keeping the tradtional look of the hall..and renovating the orginal works with sympathy to its style.

how did you get inside raby hall
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Raby Old Hall - 7th Jul 2012 9:20pm
The panel room has had a wall built to hide the panels.The cellars are creepy.
And its also haunted.strange noises at 2am are not good
Posted By: chriskay Re: Raby Old Hall - 8th Jul 2012 8:57am
Strange noises at 2am in an old house are not unusual; even modern houses move with a change of temperature.
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Raby Old Hall - 8th Jul 2012 9:44am
It not that sort of noise.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Raby Old Hall - 8th Jul 2012 10:16am
What sort of noise is it/ Is it a noisy noise?
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Raby Old Hall - 8th Jul 2012 1:50pm
sounds like someone turning a light on and of.doors closing stuff like that
Posted By: Tatey Re: Raby Old Hall - 9th Jul 2012 6:37am
Maybe someone got up for a wee?
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Raby Old Hall - 9th Jul 2012 8:42am
no
Posted By: granny Re: Raby Old Hall - 9th Jul 2012 8:57am
Originally Posted by Zelda
sounds like someone turning a light on and of.doors closing stuff like that

Sounds like a ghost.

At home,we had the sound of light switches turning on and off for years during the nights. We thought it was our parents and much later, it came out that they thought it had been us, the children. ghost
Posted By: dave_h Re: Raby Old Hall - 29th Aug 2012 5:55pm
Originally Posted by Zelda
how did you get pictures off Raby Hall.do you work there

as he mentioned in a previous post he worked there
© Wirral-Wikiwirral