Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 22nd Jul 2009 10:16am
Anyone heard of these? I read about them on a site about viking wirral and it mentions them crossing the river dibbin next to the old norse settlement that was near Raby Mere. Trying to find exact location if they still exist??
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 22nd Jul 2009 10:31am
I had forgotten these, played on them when I was a kid (so they must be old), yes they still exist and are on most maps ....

Attached picture Raby-Stolpi-stepping-stones-s.jpg
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 22nd Jul 2009 11:33am
Thanks for that, is there a footpath you can get to them along?? Might go for a wander later.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 22nd Jul 2009 12:46pm
Wouldn't mind getting some photographs myself, if you would like to meet up and if the rain holds off.

I will PM you in a second.
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 25th Jul 2009 11:37am
Apologies for not getting back sooner. I ended up going down there about 7.30 after work (last minute thing). Couldnt find anything obvious but then I didn't know what i was looking out for. It looked like there where some stones in the water but nothing I would call ancient. Also it was is a bit close to someones back garden and got a sense I was trespassing so didnt hang around hence no photos either.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 27th Jul 2009 4:40pm
Id be up for this for a quick UE. I mad busy at the minute with work but reckon i could get away for a short time some night or weekend. Im sure Dava249 will go to !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 27th Jul 2009 5:27pm
I went the other day, as ghostly says, the stones seem to have gone missing, as has a path that at one time was the original road. So not to waste the day, I walked up the stream towards the mere (up what I suppose was the mill cutiing), then went beside the stream in the other direction towards Dibbinsdale Rd. Didn't realise it but I turned round only yards short of where Clatter Brook meets the Dibbin. I'll try and put pix up later.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Ancient stolpi stepping stones - 28th Aug 2009 2:35pm
I got an e mail back from Professor Steve Harding regarding this yesterday...

"Dear Phil,
There is a page on this in my book Ingimunds Saga. It shows a photograph taken around 1900-05 of a man crossing them and gives the ordnance survey coordinates to help with the location. La Stopelrake is referred to in 1406 with Old Norse rak meaning "lane" - the lane to the stepping stones. A Stone Stupes also appears in Neston parish. ON stolpi (post/pillar), again there's something in the book, with coordinates.

The Wirral News blog should be starting up next month,
All best

Steve"
© Wirral-Wikiwirral