Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Wallasey Bomb Damage - 7th Jul 2009 12:49pm
Can anyone tell me where you think this location is? I am thinking it might be Erskine Road (off Poulton Road). I know it suffered heavy bomb damage in March 1941 and took a number of lives.

[Linked Image]

Anyone care to guess?
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 7th Jul 2009 9:37pm
Don't know if you have seen the videos on Wallasey etc by parapiranha on Youtube, but the one named "Wallasey At War" is a video of photos and has the same photo in it, but no name of street on it (as some of them have). It comes up between Emergency Water Poluton Road and Emergency Water Central park. But after saying that it gets you no closer to the street name!

Wallasey at War
Posted By: ScottVernon55 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 24th Jul 2009 9:10am
it looks like littledale
Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 24th Jul 2009 11:16am
no it looks more like annersley and the house a the end being canterbury/poulton corner gardens are too big for littedale and that would fit in with the picture being between poulton and central park looks like the picture was taken by the house near the corner of lonsboro, i'll see if i can get round to taking some reference pictures today as im headed to littledale and can detour to annersley on the way home
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 24th Jul 2009 11:31am
I am going to try and head over to the reference library sometime today,so I will have a look in thier archives as they have a large photographic record of bomb damage that was caused on the Wirral.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 24th Jul 2009 7:54pm
there was a post on here a while ago, linking to another site showing maps of bombs dropped :

old wirral maps

Posted By: john1788 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 24th Jul 2009 10:12pm
looking at the pic could it be florence road looking down to brighton street,the house at the bottom could be what are now the little flats no:73 brighton street with leopold street off to the side leading to brighton street.the book wallasey at war states that florence road was hit on the 22nd of december.as a wallasey taxi driver this is the only place i can think of,thats not to say im right or the street is still the same layout as in the pic anymore.prob no help at all but good luck,makes you think how luck not to have had to live through the war..
Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 24th Jul 2009 11:31pm
my apologies i was wrong i will try and get the pictures i took as it may well be littledale and according to a resident the bomb damage would be in the right place
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 1:15am
Thanks for the info guys...and gals!
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 1:57am
I haven't got the book but on the web someone says there is a reference to Littledale Road in the book "Wallasey at War 1939-1945", where is says that on the night of August 31st - September 1st, 1940, there was damage to 24/26 Littledale Road and that 2 females were injured.

That would look about right - house number wise - if that was Brighton St at the bottom?
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 10:00am
Sorry guys I was`nt able to get out of work to make it to the reference library.
Posted By: john1788 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 11:20am
went down littledale road 2day and stopped outside no 30.the pics look the same.no 22/28 are now garages.took some pics on my phone but can't load them as the file size is to big.i would say that it's 99% littledale road..sorry for the florence road suggestion but i thought that littledale had been ruled out,hope you still find out for sure...
Posted By: john1788 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 12:01pm
here are the pics.hope they come out...

thanks to Dava2479 for the help...

Attached picture Photo0073.jpg
Attached picture Photo0072.jpg
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 12:05pm
You`ve cracked it mate,nice 1. thumbsupComparing the pics,it looks like you are almost in the exact spot.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 25th Jul 2009 12:16pm
I tip my hat to you. Well done with solving that mystery.

Wiki @ it's best.
Posted By: ScottVernon55 Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 29th Jul 2009 1:58am
I said it was littledale before any of you.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 29th Jul 2009 2:04am
Originally Posted by ScottVernon55
I said it was littledale before any of you.

Originally Posted by ScottVernon55
it looks like littledale

clap

Bravo, welcome to wiki grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 29th Jul 2009 11:14am
Well done Scott. Clears up the mystery.
Posted By: johnk Re: Wallasey Bomb Damage - 8th Nov 2009 7:32am
Sorry it's not Littledale , I was born in Littledale in 1945 and played on the bomb site until the garages were built circa 1955.
The bomb damaged houses are on the right hand side of the road going away from the river and the road shown isn't long enough for Littledale.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral