Forums
Posted By: henry woodchurch village - 4th Jul 2009 9:22pm
Hi Has anybody out ther got any photos of the old Woodchurch Village it would be much appreciated
Posted By: uptoncx Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 7:32am

Couple of pictures from the early 1900s

Attached picture woodvill1.jpg
Attached picture woodvill2.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 9:29am
I can't remember seeing either of pictures before Upton - well dug.

A few photos recently you can see the telegraph poles overladen with cables. In reality hardly anyone had a telephone apart from businesses and the odd toff, but all the cables went on poles, very few went underground and this is why it looks like so many.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 10:37am
The telephone poles then carried bare copper wires on porcelain insulators. One pair of wires for each subscriber, so not that many phones down this route although it looks "busy".

No party lines either in those days. Manual calling with a magneto bell from the exchange.

The exchange for Woodchurch may have been Upton. Then just a tin hut affair near the station. Excuse to dig out my book on the old exchanges of the L'pool telephone area !
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 11:09am
I thought Woodchurch was the name of the estate. I didn't realise there was an old village. Was it built over to become the new estate?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 11:29am

Woodchurch is both a Parish and a Township.

The Parish of Woodchurch was a large parish stretching over nearly 5,000 acres. It included 9 townships (Woodchurch, Arrowe, Barnston, Noctorum, Landican, Oxton, Pensby, Prenton and Thingwall) it also included parts of Claughton and Irby.

The village of Woodchurch was almost completly destroyed by the building of the Woodchurch Estate in 1946, all that remains are the church, rectory and school.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 11:32am
The village of Woodchurch became virtually surrounded by the Woodchurch Estate and some private houses. Some of the older cottages were demolished in the late '50's (?).

I was Christened in the Parish Church of Woodchurch.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 11:54am
Originally Posted by uptoncx

The village of Woodchurch was almost completly destroyed by the building of the Woodchurch Estate in 1946.

Sorry, I didn't mead that the village was demolished and built over by the estate, but the life of the village was destroyed - the farms lost their fields, the farm labourers their livelihood, people moved out, houses became derelict and the village died.

Posted By: chriskay Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 1:27pm
Here's a couple of maps, one from 1955, one from 1966 showing how the village was "absorbed" & the farm land lost.
The parish church is the oldest religious establishment in the area, with the exception of the Priory.
The Holy Cross item comes from the 1947 Outline Plan.

Attached picture Woodchurch. c.1955 .jpg
Attached picture Woodchurch.  1966 .jpg
Attached picture Holy Cross, Woodchurch.jpg
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 2:04pm
Thanks Guys
Posted By: henry Re: woodchurch village - 5th Jul 2009 9:20pm
The Second picture of the cottages is just in front of the four cottages where i used to live just out of shot on the left is Mutches shop and the last cottage on the right was where Jim Gateland the postman lived
Posted By: chriskay Re: woodchurch village - 6th Jul 2009 10:43am
Thanks, Henry; that's just the sort of info. which brings a picture alive.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: woodchurch village - 6th Jul 2009 10:13pm
Originally Posted by henry
The Second picture of the cottages is just in front of the four cottages where i used to live just out of shot on the left is Mutches shop and the last cottage on the right was where Jim Gateland the postman lived

Mutch's shop in 1928.

Attached picture woodvill3.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral