Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 1:08pm
Hi,
does anyone have any pics of Hind St Birkenhead?
my Great Uncle married a girl from there [Agnes Jones]in 1913,he was killed in Batttle of the Somme 1916, so they were'nt married long.i would like to see were Agnes lived before marriage,what kind of houses they were, i know where the St is and there are no houses there now.
Also....any pics of St Pauls Church in Argyle St? that's were they married, Agnes re-married there in 1919.
Chris.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 4:19pm

Not a very good picture, but this is Hind St Birkenhead in 1904

Attached picture 1904HindSt.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 4:33pm
What a great photograph. The small details are fascinating. The sign seems to indicate it was taken on 14.6.04. Nearly midsummer and look at the clothes. The portable boiler. The Cocky Watchmen's Hut with brazier for the long, cold nights (in June ?) The line of paraffin warning lamps. Not a JCB in site !

Presume these houses and the Chapel were demolished when the Gas Board Offices and labs. were built in Hind Street in the 30's (?).

Where's the photo from uptoncx ??
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 4:42pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Where's the photo from uptoncx ??

Not sure, I have a bad habit of not recording the source of pictures when I scan them, but I will try and find out.

Posted By: uptoncx Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 4:53pm

St Paul's, Argyle Street in 1906

Attached picture 1906StPauls.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 5:00pm
Good digging there Upton thumbsup
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 5:44pm
thank's a lot, that was so quick!
i've been looking for a pic of Hind St & St Pauls for ages!!
any idea what's going on in the picture?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 6:30pm
As it says on the notice "Grange Vale Sewer Section 2"
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 6:51pm
i did see that on the picture after i had posted---sorry!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 7:19pm

Now & Then - St Pauls Church, Argyle Street
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 22nd Jun 2009 7:58pm
Good Pic Upton. Im sure i read somewhere that the River used to come right up near Hind Street in the early days ?
Posted By: bigpete Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 4th Aug 2009 1:40pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
Hi,
my Great Uncle married a girl from there [Agnes Jones]in 1913,he was killed in Batttle of the Somme 1916, so they were'nt married long.i would like to see were Agnes lived before marriage,what kind of houses they were, i know where the St is and there are no houses there now.
Also....any pics of St Pauls Church in Argyle St? that's were they married, Agnes re-married there in 1919.
Chris.

Eeek! - what was her new married name (between 1913-16) ? - my Granny was called Agnes - but her surname was then Atherton but she was married to my Grandad in 1919......, she was from the Hind Street/Jackson Street area too....
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 4th Aug 2009 3:21pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
Hi,
Chris.

Eeek! - what was her new married name (between 1913-16) ? - my Granny was called Agnes - but her surname was then Atherton but she was married to my Grandad in 1919......, she was from the Hind Street/Jackson Street area too....

1913 she married James Henry Churchill, he was killed 1916,
1919 she married Thomas Slack-----does that help?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 4th Aug 2009 3:52pm
Ooh am interestd in this
Posted By: bigpete Re: Hind St,Birkenhead - 6th Aug 2009 12:09pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
Hi,
Chris.

1913 she married James Henry Churchill, he was killed 1916,
1919 she married Thomas Slack-----does that help?

Ah no, thanks for checking - have since found out that her maiden name was either Atherton or Wilson.

That was spooky - could have been a new service - wikiwirral 'families reunited' !!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral