Forums
Posted By: derekdwc After a church is demolished - 21st May 2009 10:55am
I know this is a bit ghoulish but after a church is demolished
and if it has a burial ground I presume any graves there are opened and its contents and gravestones/monuments are sent to a cemetary.
Has this happened in recent years
If they pulled down St Johns in Liscard I'd like to follow this up from start to finish.
Anyone got a list of churches with graveyards that have gone
Posted By: history Re: After a church is demolished - 21st May 2009 2:16pm
St Andrews, Birkenhead. gravestones/monuments went to St Mary's and then Landican.
St Mary's, Birkenhead. Some gravestones/monuments went to Landican.

Liscard Chapel. Some have been moved to Rake Lane.

These are going back a bit. I cant think of any in recent years.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: After a church is demolished - 21st May 2009 4:14pm
I've heard that developers simply go in and build whole new housing estates on former graveyard sites. Then, some years later, bodies starting floating up in swimming pools and the house then becomes haunted by poltergeists.

Or that might of been a film I saw.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: After a church is demolished - 21st May 2009 5:33pm
wow spooky
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: After a church is demolished - 21st May 2009 6:48pm
it was definatly a film you saw.
Posted By: AR_One Re: After a church is demolished - 22nd May 2009 7:59am
"I've heard that developers simply go in and build whole new housing estates on former graveyard sites. Then, some years later, bodies starting floating up in swimming pools and the house then becomes haunted by poltergeists."

It's true I saw that too - they can even appear in 10th floor appartments.......
Posted By: MissGuided Re: After a church is demolished - 22nd May 2009 8:05am
'They're here'

raftl
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: After a church is demolished - 22nd May 2009 8:38pm
I heard developers purposely build on old indian burial grounds to drive up the prices ! liar
Posted By: Anonymous Re: After a church is demolished - 22nd May 2009 9:29pm
Originally Posted by Doctor_Frick
I heard developers purposely build on old indian burial grounds to drive up the prices ! liar

I think that's what I was talking about before. There were Indians and Pakistani's. In the end the entire house gets sucked into a vortex. I think Anne Witticombe was there too.

I get a little confused at times.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: After a church is demolished - 23rd May 2009 9:43am
I would think about changing medication Paul lol
Posted By: bigalrobbo Re: After a church is demolished - 29th May 2009 8:01am
Developers built new property years ago at the bottom of Radner Drive in Wallsey. I was told the story that people never lived their long as the houses were haunted due to building them over the graves. Ghost hunters were brought in by people who lived there to try and get rid of them..........
Posted By: Tatey Re: After a church is demolished - 12th Apr 2013 7:19am
After I win the lottery & buy St. John's in Liscard & all the correct procedures have been followed, all remaining gravestones will be cleaned up & used to line the walls of the garden, neatly set & pointed in. This will provide a lasting tribute.
Posted By: Dilly Re: After a church is demolished - 12th Apr 2013 7:27am
Originally Posted by Tatey
After I win the lottery & buy St. John's in Liscard & all the correct procedures have been followed, all remaining gravestones will be cleaned up & used to line the walls of the garden, neatly set & pointed in. This will provide a lasting tribute.

Some imagination, win the lottery.
Posted By: Helles Re: After a church is demolished - 12th Apr 2013 10:27am
When they extended the ship repairers next to the priory, the bodies were exhumed and taken to Landican. I used to work with a feller who made the coffins, well boxes more than coffins and they were plywood. Think there are still some burials that have been built over in Liscard chapel on Rake lane?

Interesting point about St Johns because one of them is Sir John Tobin, Will they just shove him in an unmarked mass grave?
Posted By: Tatey Re: After a church is demolished - 13th Apr 2013 6:47am
Originally Posted by Helles
When they extended the ship repairers next to the priory, the bodies were exhumed and taken to Landican. I used to work with a feller who made the coffins, well boxes more than coffins and they were plywood. Think there are still some burials that have been built over in Liscard chapel on Rake lane?

Interesting point about St Johns because one of them is Sir John Tobin, Will they just shove him in an unmarked mass grave?

Helles, Good Lord Sir! One would hope not.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral