Forums
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 4:33pm
hello i'm new to the forums. i usually go past the model yacht lake on gautby road and everytime i do pass i see this odd looking rusted out iron structure standing in the middle of a field near the boating club house. i dont know what it used to be part of. any ideas on it?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 5:47pm
Do you mean this thing in the middle of grass - if so, there is a picture somewhere of what it was - will try and find.

Attached picture BirkenheadGautbyRdBoating.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 5:52pm
Actually this, which is already on wikiwirral (Looks like a flagpole base)

See here Clicky

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 6:46pm
ah cool. sorry didnt know it was already mentioned i forgot to search the other threads. thanks for that. i always thought it was for an old billboard or for some old factory from donkies ago
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:17pm
DD is right,it is the remains of a swingdown flag pole.The base of the flag pole would swing in between what looks like fins at the bottom and the hole at the top of the structure was for a locking off pin to hold the pole in an upright position.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:18pm
excellent job. thanks for all the info.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:19pm
I was hoping to dig out a picture but I can't find it, is there another name for the boating lake - seem to remember it had a formal title that no one used.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:24pm
I think it might of been called-Gautby Rd model yaughting lake.

Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:25pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I was hoping to dig out a picture but I can't find it, is there another name for the boating lake - seem to remember it had a formal title that no one used.

DD,do you have an original pic og the flagstaff?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:32pm
I am pretty sure there is a picture with it on, it's an old picture of the boating lake in black and white, lake might be frozen - there is some reason for the photo, not just a piccy.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:37pm
If you could dig it out mate that would be great.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 30th Apr 2009 8:39pm
i second to that
Posted By: hoseman Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 1st May 2009 5:07pm
The reason it is in this state is that "mummys `lil darlings" kept setting fire to it!!!! Flagpoles make a nice centre to pile wood against on bonfire night, better than a Tescos trolly!!!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 1st May 2009 8:17pm
true. i've seen many patches nearby as well in the field opposite the tennis centre or on lower flaybrick road incinerated to nothing with a little "present" left behind. usually a trolley or a old matress
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Gautby Road Mysterious Iron Rod - 2nd May 2009 6:15am
Another question, when was the yachting lake built? I tried to do a bit of research a while ago and found that there was a bit of old film showing 'the opening ceremony of the yachting lake' dated 1929 held in manchester (some sort of local movie archive) any more info would be good.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral