Forums
I know this isn't Wirral but I am hoping someone on here might help. When I was a kid, and quite young so about 30 years ago, my dad used to take me over to the Pier Head I think it was, and there was this wooden tower thing that we always climbed.

I don't know but someone said it might have been built by some sculpture, I thought it was something like a bell tower. Anyway it was sort of flat sided, maybe 5 or 6 sides, and you climbed up stairs and waved from the top.

Just a memory I'm trying to sort out, any help appreciated thanks

SB
I remember that tower, it had a kind of winding staircase. I thought it was black and made of metal though. It was on the left hand side of the pier head if you had your back to the three graces. I cant be sure but i think it was a memorial to either merchant seafarers or canadian nationals lost in the second world war.
I'm sure someone on here will know for definate.
I remember that - was it a memorial of some kind?
Yer i think it was a memorial as i remember climbing it to.. I think its been moved to someone else in liverpool im not 100% sure or it might of been damaged by vandals im not possitive on this.. smile
Found it!!!!

Tatlin Tower

Podium designed by Arthur Dooley, erected in 1973 at the Pier Head to commemorate workers' international struggles and 'disappeared' by Liverpool City Council in the early 1990s

Attached picture october.jpg
thats him happy brings back memories that thanks Suze laugh
I think its a homage to the real Tatlin's Tower
Nice pictures, just what i remembered. Had a thought that it may have been something to do with unions and was just off searching the net for it. Just a little off in my first ideas though.
Might be nice if Liverpool City Council could "FIND IT" and replace it on the pierhead in tribute to the late Jack Jones who died this week. Son of the city and lifelong supporter of the unions. I'm sure i saw this tower on Granada Reports a few years ago, dismantled and laying in some council storage yard.
A fitting tribute to a great man.
Thanks everyone, this has been bugging me for ages!! Glad I know what it is now.

SB
Yerr. Nice one. I too remember this -now- as a kid. Had forgotton bout it tho. Thanks
Dooley himself said it was for Union spokesmen to use as a podium. It was in memory of "the struggle" or something such. Me and the missus used to laugh at some of the stuff he used to do in Liverpool, a lot of it looked like scrap to us anyway, but we weren't artistic types we just recognised shoit when we saw it.
also remember this place stinking like a toilet

Attached picture bus_station_body_200x132.jpg
Is that by Pierhead? Bernie Inn or something sick
yes but if you remember, the ground floor used to go right across the front then turned to make a L shape at the roadway to the landing stage

Attached picture pierhead.jpg
Can you remember the original cover of the walkway down to the ferry at Woodside? Like walking into hell with a boat at the end!
Always dark and downhill to the boat, and the echo, also the rattle of the chains and banging of the gangway being lowered and the smell of diesel and warmth coming out of the engine room door.
Originally Posted by bert1
Always dark and downhill to the boat, and the echo, also the rattle of the chains and banging of the gangway being lowered and the smell of diesel and warmth coming out of the engine room door.

i remember the smell and warmth like it was yeterday.
also thinking back, this smoking ban in public places is nothing new, i think I'm right in saying you could never smoke inside the ferry in the seating area, you had to smoke on deck, but you could smoke down below in the cafe.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Trying to remember something from my childhood... - 6th Aug 2009 9:22pm
Have fond memories of the last of the steam ferry boats before the first of the diesel rattletraps entered service (Mountwood). The only good thing about the diesels was the tea bar down below.

The steamers had real character. You could look down into the engine room. Stoker(s) stripped to the waist shovelling coal. The smell of hot oil and steam. The glare from the boilers, gleaming, spinning propellor shafts. The thump-thump-thump of the triple expansion engines. For a youngster - pure magic.

On the top deck in the winter, folk would huddle around the base of the funnel. Great until the safety valves lifted (usually when at the stage), then you'd have about a seconds warning before a great dollop of hot water dropped down onto your head. This was the condensate being blown up the pipes by the escaping steam.

What a great pity one of the old steamers couldn't have been preserved.
The record for preserving ships is not good. CL's 'Windsor Castle' of 1959 would have been top of my list.
Bri

Description: Windsor Castle 1959
Attached picture Windsor Castle 1959.jpg
a lovely lairds built thing
There were 2 walkways, one for each direction, a good arrangement, no clashing!
Oops!..missed the picture..

Description: From 'Mersey Ferries', T.B.Maund, 1991; gives the full history
Attached picture Scan-090806-0001.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral