Forums
Posted By: Archaeo Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 8:33pm
Hi Guys,

I qualify as a professional archaeologist next year, and will be undertaking my doctorate most probably on the archaeology of death and burial.

I am well versed in the archaeology of Wirral and Cheshire, and was thinking of running a few day tours in the summer of the highlights of Wirral....possibly also themed tours Viking Wirral, churches, etc. Do you think these will prove popular? Was thinking of running a few free ones to gauge interest, then taking it from there.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 8:43pm
Dean

I am SURE you will get a positive reply from the Wiki group. Personally I will confess total ignorance about what you could possibly cover during a day or so tour of sites ie I know nothing of such sites in Wirral, although I fully expect that they do exist.

A brief outline of the sorts of sites and what they would have to offer would help - and I for one would be willing to act as a 'guinea pig' for a trial run or two.

Snod
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 8:51pm
I'd guinea pig a test run smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 8:52pm
So would 1.
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 8:53pm
I have a special interest in church and monastic archaeology, so my first idea was of a tour of the early churches in Wirral and the priory. Probably Holy Cross, St Bridget's, St Andrew's, St Hilary's and St Mary's.

They are all sites that were most likely Saxon in foundation. I actually would put money on St Hilary's being one of the oldest christian sites in the country.

I think I'd get a decent uptake for this from older people. The other idea would be a general tour including sites such as the Priory (which is soooo poorly organised and signed), Storeton Hall, parts of the Roman road system, the Dawson Brown Museum, etc.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 9:16pm
Sounds great to me

and "I think I'd get a decent uptake for this from older people"

You don't get much older than me!

Snod
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Wirral tours - 29th Mar 2009 9:57pm
I think youd get a good response mate as long as you get the idea to the right audiance. Steve Harding runs several viking tours of wirral each year. Next ones coming up in the summer with a variety of curches involved. check out his website to see how he organises it.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral tours - 30th Mar 2009 8:41am
Originally Posted by Snodvan

Snod

Unless you're me happy
I'd be interested; it's just a pity I'm not local.
Posted By: buddy Re: Wirral tours - 30th Mar 2009 9:12am
Originally Posted By: Snodvan

Snod

or me!!!- 69!!

Yes I'm interested

© Wirral-Wikiwirral