Posted By: derekdwc Residents Social Club Duke Street - 12th Mar 2009 3:40pm
Residents Social Club Duke Street

I think on 1916 street directory this was
North End Liberal Club

Anyone know what else it had been

Attached picture Residents Social Club Duke St 2.jpg
Attached picture Residents Social Club Duke St .jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 12th Mar 2009 4:01pm
During the 70s for a while it was run as The Boilermakers club but i can't remember how long it was run under that name. Only went the once, full of lairds lads.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 12th Mar 2009 4:09pm
just what is Mersey Reclaim that is on the building

Are they trying to save it or when it eventually gets demolished do they get to take away any furnishings or wood/bricks etc
Posted By: kimpri Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 12th Mar 2009 9:08pm
The last time it was in use that i know of the motor bike shop over the road used it to store bikes in it
Posted By: Northender Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 13th Apr 2009 9:25pm
Yes, it is used for bike bits nowadays mostly.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 13th Apr 2009 10:38pm
bloody eye sore that building been like that for years
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 6th Aug 2009 4:34pm
Had some good nights in there when it was "The Boilermakers."
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 6th Aug 2009 7:24pm
It was the dockers blue union club for years
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 20th May 2011 2:04pm
i am pretty sure that in the 50s this used to be a dance club called JOE BARNES i know it was in Duke st but i am not sure
exactley were about it was
i went a few times with my mates
Posted By: torryman Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 10th Jul 2011 9:47am
I played at this club in the early 70's when it was relaunched as the zodiac club(if memory serves me right).
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 10th Jul 2011 9:57am
Seems like a nice looking building (obviously if it's repainted) and I always wondered myself what that Mersey reclaim thing was about.

It's a shame nobody has bought this place and refurbished it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 29th Apr 2017 5:01pm
Starting to fall apart now so it is.

Roof tiles missing letting water in, bits falling off the front waiting to hit somebody.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Residents Social Club Duke Street - 2nd May 2017 5:13pm
It was indeed built as the North End Liberal Club, at the expense of William Hesketh Lever. It was opened on 19th January 1898 by the Rt Hon Herbert H Asquith, then MP for East Fife

Attached picture LIB CLUB.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral