Forums
Posted By: Bandageman Stock car racing - 5th Mar 2009 9:39pm
Do any of you remember the Stock car & Banger racing at New Brighton?
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Stock car racing - 5th Mar 2009 10:43pm
I remember in one of our history posts..there was a video of New Brighton in the 50s to the 70s.... the Banger track was mentioned shortly with some early footage.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Stock car racing - 6th Mar 2009 3:55am
ye mate.went there all the time, 539 bright sparks
Posted By: DavidB Re: Stock car racing - 7th Mar 2009 11:23am
Really?! Where did this happen?
Posted By: Wheels Re: Stock car racing - 7th Mar 2009 11:34am
HERE
Posted By: Bandageman Re: Stock car racing - 8th Mar 2009 5:19pm
Not sure if it was the New Brighton Old Football Pitch or Cycling circuit. It was down the road from the Chelsea Reach or the old fair ground close to the tower
Posted By: kimpri Re: Stock car racing - 30th Jul 2009 12:08am
a girl was killed there once in crowd
Posted By: dab59 Re: Stock car racing - 30th Jul 2009 8:55am
It was at the bottom of Molyneux Drive. It was on every second Sunday and had both Stock Car and Banger racing. I remember a guy called Pat Burns that used to win all the time and therefore had a Gold top on his Stock Car. The Bangers were in teams. I can only remember the Invaders but if anyone can remember the other teams I'd like to know. Because the crowd were stood right next to the track it was a common occurence that something flew off a car and hit someone.
Posted By: yoller Re: Stock car racing - 30th Jul 2009 10:34am
I was there in the crowd the night the girl was killed - I think it was early in 1970. She was standing not far away from us when two cars collided during a race. A piece of angle iron flew off one of the cars and struck her in the head. She was taken away by ambulance, but I don't think anyone realised she had been killed.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Stock car racing - 30th Jul 2009 10:42pm
I've got some programs somewhere see if i can find them that will have all team names in.yoller mate I'm sure it was a wheel that hit girl bounced into crowd on a Sunday afternoon. thumbsup
Posted By: edgey Re: Stock car racing - 17th Aug 2009 4:06pm
The stockcar racing at the tower grounds ran from about 1970 to 1976.It was finally closed down after a long battle with
the council over noise.
Some of the banger teams that l can remember,were the lnvaders,Brightsparks,UFO,s,Anthillmob,spectrum,and the
Ellsmereport gunners.
The track was unique, as it was an old cycle track ,and had very high banked bends.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral