Forums
Posted By: UrbanEx2U what used to be the other side of the bridge - 13th Feb 2009 6:20pm
At the rock what used to be the other side of the bridge

PICS

????

Attached picture DSCF4556_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF4555_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF4554_640x480.jpg
Attached picture DSCF4553_640x480.jpg
Posted By: Wheels Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 13th Feb 2009 6:31pm
I think it might be there incase of future development.

beyond it is just fields.

Dont know what was there tho
Posted By: pacef8 Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 13th Feb 2009 6:36pm
as i recall it was a re-instated bridge that was already there in the hope that the rail service to the docks would or could remain.
The river also runs under there i think.
It was a goods yard next to the rail line if you look at old arial photos or maps

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx
so in those fields used to be goods yard

was there any buildings there

all it is that its very hilly and might possible have tunnel there
Posted By: Mark Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 13th Feb 2009 7:43pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for Wheels and our day out smile
From sept 2007
Posted By: Wheels Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 13th Feb 2009 8:28pm

Attached picture robbooo.jpg
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 13th Feb 2009 11:17pm
Robbo, see this topic:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...lington_St_sheds_Train_S.html#Post240320
Posted By: chriskay Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 14th Feb 2009 12:03am
Under that bridge used to be Mollington St. motive power dept. That's why the road leading to the bridge is named Mollington Link. Here's a map of what it used to be like.

Attached picture Mollington Street sm.jpg
is no one allowed on this land,because i can see this area out of my back window and i dont think i have ever seen anyone on there?...just curious as i would like to take a stroll one day.
DEFFO 4 TUNNELS wink
Posted By: AR_One Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 27th Feb 2009 11:45pm
There was a planning app a couple of years back for a huge development on this land - houses, some shops, a car dealership etc but nothing ever started.

And yes there are tunnells on there, the old (almost) blocked up tunnel for the trains to the long gone Woodside station starts on there.
Posted By: chriskay Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 27th Feb 2009 11:56pm
No, the tunnels to Woodside & Monks' Ferry do not start here. They start from the old Town station, near Jackson St. a couple of hundred yards away; they are well documented on here.
Posted By: dave_g Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 28th Feb 2009 1:08am
all the land the rock retail park sits on was railway sidings as far as i know.lines did go over to mollington street plus the main line went through to woodside.
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
is no one allowed on this land,because i can see this area out of my back window and i dont think i have ever seen anyone on there?...just curious as i would like to take a stroll one day.
Maybe it belongs to Railtrack
Posted By: yoller Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 1st Mar 2009 12:36am
Dave g is correct - the area that is now Rock Retail Park was a huge junction for rail lines going in and out of Birkenhead. One set of lines went to the big Mollington Street sidings, which in its heyday was a popular place for trainspotters. The main Birkenhead-Chester line went through the tunnel at Town Station to Woodside, while another line went through a second tunnel across the town to the docks. There was also a branch line which went across a bridge at the junction of Chester Street and Waterloo Place into the Cammell Laird shipyards.
Posted By: AR_One Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 2nd Mar 2009 11:36pm
Apolgies Chris - I though that you could get into the bit where the tunnel entrance is but, looking at it on Google Earth Waterloo Place gets in the way
Posted By: bigpete Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 3rd Aug 2009 10:33pm
Yep, the Appin Way industrial estate is built on what was a large railway coal yard - next to the engine sheds
Posted By: 8HBob Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 5th Aug 2009 10:54pm
The bridge across New Chester Road had 2 tracks - One went down a slope into Cammell Lairds & the other went into Abbey St. carriage sidings , which were originally the Great Western railway carriage sidings. The Rock Retail Park has been built at a lower level than was originally there, as this area was formerly the L.M.S carriage sidings.The bridge at Green Lane should give some idea of how many tracks were there , leading to the above mentioned, plus Monks Ferry, Woodside,the docks (4 tracks) Grange Lane warehouse, the gas works, Mollington St. loco sheds & Helmingham Road yard.It was a busy place up to 1967, then the real rot started to set in.

Bob.
Posted By: Rover Re: what used to be the other side of the bridge - 29th Sep 2010 11:33am
It used to be a road that went from New chester road to the top of green lane near the junction with Old chester road. I used to deliver newpapers there many years ago
© Wirral-Wikiwirral