Forums
Posted By: ponytail Who has lived in your house - 27th Jan 2009 4:32pm
Does anyone know how you can trace back who lived in your house to when it was built? I would love to trace it back to Victorian times when the house was first built.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Who has lived in your house - 27th Jan 2009 7:32pm
Goto Earlston Libary, they have books there which date back to the 1800`s with all the houses in Wallasey and who lived there on what years smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Who has lived in your house - 27th Jan 2009 9:26pm
Look at your deeds or ask the landlord if its rented happy
Posted By: Ducko Re: Who has lived in your house - 27th Jan 2009 9:36pm
wirral archives service cheshire lines bulding canning street 0151.606 2929 opening hours mon till fri 9 .30 to 4. 30 and saterday 10 till 13.oo
Posted By: hoseman Re: Who has lived in your house - 27th Jan 2009 10:14pm
Got my deeds, know who and when build it and the road, inc all the land around and businesses well and truely gone!!!
Tells me date, builders specifications and price!!
Posted By: ponytail Re: Who has lived in your house - 29th Jan 2009 1:25pm
Thank you for all the help, I'll start tracing. I did this once before with an old Tithe map and found the people who had the land on the house had the same surname as me. Wonder what I will find this time.
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Who has lived in your house - 5th Jun 2010 10:39am
Check out land registry and electoral rolls theyr eally do help give you an idea of a time line for the house. Check out old photos from rellies too. Jess
Posted By: Historybook Re: Who has lived in your house - 12th Jun 2010 1:58pm
our own house is quite new, we are the second owners.
One of the houses i grew up in was built on land where other houses had once stood, it is very interesting to look at the names of the people in the deeds.
Also my father in laws house was down as being in Walton on the hill in Liverpool, a place name that seems to have vanished in modern times !.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Who has lived in your house - 12th Jun 2010 2:59pm
Our house was once called "Deva House" and was occupied for some 30 years by a Mr William Bell at the turn of the 20th Century
Posted By: Historybook Re: Who has lived in your house - 12th Jun 2010 3:17pm
Inspired by this thread i have now looked at the deeds for my Father in laws house.

The location is down as "Walton on the hill in the county of Lancaster",
It was also owned by John Roberts MP (flint) for a while in the 1880's, the deeds also mention him being a timber merchant as well as an M.P !.
There is also mention of a deed dated 1828, but i can't go back that far with the paper work i have !.
One interesting thing.... on the small map of the property location it shows "pasture" to the south west !!!!. Last time i was there i can't remember seeing any cows !!!.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Who has lived in your house - 2nd Jan 2011 8:26pm
Our house was built around 1887,we are the 4th owners. The first was a 'ships captain'.Two spinster sisters lived here for around 50yrs.The house had become rundown and a woman bought it for a song and did it up cheaply. We bought it at the beginning of the 80s when prices sored.The surveyor said that he felt it was over priced but, due to the regeneration plans for New Brighton it would be a good investment! Hey ho 20yrs later and it's just about happening.
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Who has lived in your house - 3rd Jan 2011 12:46am
Just moved into my property and after a bit of time researching Gores 1900 Directory found it was once a school for young ladies run by a Mary Elizabeth Brown. None of the rooms are what you would call classroom sized. Mary moved here from London with her stepfather who traded in silk. Would love to see what the property like around this time
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Who has lived in your house - 3rd Jan 2011 2:38am
Our house is a new build. When we 1st moved in a part of the front ground /garden collapses! Turns out to be a 18th century well!! That people have drowned in, in that era.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Who has lived in your house - 3rd Jan 2011 2:43am
My kids were 4 yrs and 18m at the time. Fuming, i was.
Posted By: LisaW Re: Who has lived in your house - 3rd Jan 2011 9:07am
I love this type of thread smile

If anyone needs help with census info etc on houses built before 1911, pm me
Posted By: tinkerbell79 Re: Who has lived in your house - 10th Mar 2011 1:16pm
dixie dean use to live in mine house years ago it was his sisters house before him.
Posted By: cathcart Re: Who has lived in your house - 10th Mar 2011 2:25pm
wow tinkerbell william ralph my all time hero tranmeres greatest player,met him in the 50s a few times, wish i still had the autographs.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral