Forums
Posted By: Vivianne Mather Road in Claughton - 27th Jan 2009 3:20pm
Hi there. I'm checking out my ancesters and found my relations lived in Mather Road, Claughton from around 1850 - early 1900s. I think their house was on the Williamson Museum site but must have been demolished long ago. It was number 25 Mather Road and might have been called "Olinda". If anyone knows or remembers anything about the house, I'd love to hear about it.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 27th Jan 2009 4:45pm
Hi, welcome. I don't think I can be much help, but I've discovered an interesting fact about Mather Rd. On maps up to the late 1890's it's called Talbot Rd. (despite the fact that the present Talbot Rd. was called the same). By 1913 the name had been changed to Mather Rd. Unless I'm mistaken, the house numbering would have been from the Euston Grove end & the odd numbers on the left. On none of the maps I have are there any houses shown on the left between Euston Grove & Slatey Rd. Most of that side was taken up by the Springhill Water Works & the police station on the corner of Slatey Rd. Maybe someone reading this can go & see what the numbering system is. Here's a couple of maps. to enlarge them, right click & "view image"
Cheers, Chris.

Attached picture Mather-Talbot Rd. 1890's.jpg
Attached picture Mather Rd 1912-1913.jpg
Posted By: Vivianne Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 27th Jan 2009 9:51pm
Thanks Chris. Now that's interesting and adds a bit more to my research (but have to admit to being a bit confused as I don't know the area etc!) Not sure if this confuses matters, but I know from Census info that the family were living at Talbot Road, Claughton with Grange in 1881. So do you think they were at the 'other' Talbot Road (and would that have been in Claughton with Grange?)rather than the Mather Road that later changed it's name? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick! Regards Viv.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 28th Jan 2009 12:28am
Hi, Viv; well, the OS map of circa.1875 has the road as Talbot Rd. & the circa.1910 map has it as Mather Rd. This road is certainly in what was Claughton with Grange. I'd be pretty certain that the other Talbot Rd. would have been in Oxton, so I think your road is the present Mather Rd. You may find this website interesting.
http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx

and here's an aerial view (if you don't already know this site, you can drag it around & play with it in all sorts of ways; one of my favourite sites)
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

I wish I could help more, but I'm 50 miles away myself.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Vivianne Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 28th Jan 2009 12:19pm
Many thanks Chris - very helpful. Like the maps.live site Regards Viv.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 28th Jan 2009 7:15pm
Viv, you have a PM. (Look in My Stuff)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 29th Jan 2009 9:27pm
25 & 27 Mather Road are a pair of semis on the corner of Barnard Road and are still there, here is a picture taken today - humblest apologies for the quality but I was rushing around and didn't have my camera so had to use my victorian phone. As you can see they have been coverted to flats but basically the nearest half of the building is number 25.

Description: 25 Mather Road
Attached picture 29-01-09_1618.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 29th Jan 2009 10:14pm
Thanks for that. I visited yesterday & I've just sent Viv some pics & info. by e-mail. Interesting that the even numbering of Mather Rd. started at Euston Grove, but the odd started where the Police station used to be, on the corner of Slatey Rd. This would be because so much of that side was taken up by the waterworks.
25 & 27; a nice pair of houses, don't you think?

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Vivianne Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 30th Jan 2009 12:12pm
Hi all. Many thanks for checking out Mather Road and for the pics. Really appreciate your efforts. I'm very pleased to have these pics as all the other places I've checked out where my ancesters lived (especially around Bootle/Liverpool) were demolished. My gt, gt, gt grandfather was a merchant living in this house from at least 1861 (but maybe before that) Census info shows 2 of his daughters continuing to live there until at least 1901, if not later. Great website! Cheers Viv.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mather Road in Claughton - 30th Jan 2009 4:41pm
Glad we could help, Viv.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral