Forums
Posted By: Northender Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 25th Jan 2009 8:02pm
Hello

Does anybody remember this tram being tried out at Shore Road?

It was about 2003-4.

I recently found this video I did at the time:

[youtube]a1JkNnhd4CM[/youtube]
Posted By: Mark Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 25th Jan 2009 8:18pm
Probably straight off to Manchester after there i guess?
Never seen or new about that one.

I cant see any overhead wires?
Its a noisy thing lol
Posted By: Wheels Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 25th Jan 2009 8:33pm
wow, pretty loud as mark said.

not very quick tho.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 25th Jan 2009 8:34pm
Amazing, all I can offer is some photos of the track being laid down to the pierhead, with some rail being welded to a manhole cover !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 25th Jan 2009 8:52pm
This lightweight tram is the brainchild of Prof. Lewis Lesley. I think he has formed his own company to try and sell these cars to existing tramways. Being lighter and using state of the art electronic control, they use much less current than the traditional cars. Need lighter weight rail and track foundation as well.

Was at Blackpool for a while, but sadly went on fire. Been repaired now and the last I heard, it was moving up here to go to my old workplace, the tramway at Summerlee Heritage Park, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.

It's the electronics (thyristor control ??) that makes that hideous whine. Conventional cars are pleasing to the ears - I think so anyway !!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 25th Jan 2009 9:34pm
Sounds like a bloody tiny jet taking off...
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 26th Jan 2009 10:16pm
i think it sounds great,would not like it outside my front door though
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Tram Trial At Birkenhead (about 2003) - 4th Aug 2016 11:33pm
I have never seen or heard of this
After watching that clip I am surprised i haven't heard it before grin
Was it an actual test for Manchester?

© Wirral-Wikiwirral