Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 6:38pm
Does anyone recognise the cottage in the attached picture?

The picture (as a postcard but no stamp or date) was in the possession of my grandma and the message states

" Happy Christmas and a prosperous New year your loving cousins mother and Sissie"

Now Aunt Sissie was Elizabeth Lansdsborough (*) from Dock Cottages, and she was married to my grandma's brother. She (like many in that side of the family) lived in Granville Terrace, off Green Lane in Wallasey. There was never any cottage like this one in that area.

(*) Yes, related to Charlie Lansdsborough but how I do not know - perhaps another gap someone can help fill

My mum is near 91 (and fit and healthy) and has a fantastic memory - but she does not recognise the cottage. The ladies in the cottage garden could be Aunt Sissie - and the older lady could possibly be Aunt Sissie's mother. My mum used to visit Sissie’s mum in Dock Cottages but cannot really remember what she looked like

Other "historians" to whom I have shown the picture say that the style of the cottage construction is not typical of Wallasey or this area in general - but maybe someone on here will remember.

All clues or opinion appreciated

Snod

Attached picture Cottage.jpg
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 6:59pm
What is the sign on the gate?possibly the name of the cottage.
Posted By: Wench Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 8:03pm
It looks like the one in Lower Bebington, sort of opposite and to the right of The Wellington Pub.

It's whitewashed now, and the "porch" is slightly bigger but that may have been due to repairs over the years.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 8:07pm
was thinking that?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 8:11pm
Sorry i don't know of that cottage, what i do remember is something i read about thatching years ago. Each area has its own style of thatching, owing to materials available and the method handed down through generations of thatchers. here is the hard part, what area uses that style.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 9:40pm
Originally Posted by dava2479
What is the sign on the gate?possibly the name of the cottage.

Believe me I have tried every technique to try to read that sign - no joy.

I do not know about thatching styles but an "architecturally inclined friend" says the building construction looks odd for Wirral, and he suspects Wales. A hunch no more. That is possible because there are family links to North Wales.

On a different tack one point that intrigues me is that this photo is clearly a "family photo" and yet it is printed as a postcard. Was that a normal sort of procedure in the past?
These days with digital imaging etc it would be easy enough to do but some 80 (?) or more years ago prints of this type would be specials and cost more - and our family did not have spare cash for luxuries.

Snaod
Posted By: bert1 Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 9:51pm
Snod I think putting a photo on a post card was something that was done with regularity, i have a few knocking around, in fact the first photo in the militaria thread ( grandfather) is a post card.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 9:55pm
It was common way of keeping in touch with family during the first part of the last century {1900 to 1930s]at least. The photo studio's use to send the bloke round to your house to takea photo and it was developed onto a postcard so you could if you wished send it to who ever. I have one of my grandparents that was sent through the post and and on the back thet are talking about the war {1st} as well as other things
Posted By: jimbob Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 13th Jan 2009 9:56pm
bert1 beat me by a few minuets
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 14th Jan 2009 12:00am
Reminds me of the cottage at Tam O'Shanter Farm

Probably miles off, but it was the first place that I thought of when I saw the picture
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Does anyone recognise .... - 14th Jan 2009 10:01am
This is unlikely to be on the Wirral beacuse it is has Brick and Flint construction, more likely to be in Wales or even parts of Ireland. (I think there may possibly be some in South West Wirral though)

The flat-top building in the background should help someone that is in the know.

Other thoughts

It is pretty steep roof, so expect it to be in a higher snowfall area but this is contradicted by the flat topped building???

Upstairs dormer window looks completely out of place and much more modern.

I am sure I have a photo somewhere (definately north wales) with the same style of porch, but this might not be an uncommon style.

I was wondering if there is any more detail available on what is in the downstairs windows, seems to be a lot of stuff in front of the curtains!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral