Forums
Posted By: Morseman Artisans golf club - 20th Nov 2008 9:39pm
I think it was a little before everyones time on here but I once heard about an Artisans golf club/course i.e. working mens in the North End of Birkenhead. I think it was situated somewhere around the end of Beaufort road or maybe where the Avenues are now? Anyone know any more about this?
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Artisans golf club - 25th Oct 2011 5:14pm
It's unlikely to have been their own golf club.

A lot of golf clubs had/have an artisans section, which bascially meant the working class, who would get reduced rates to play at restricted times in return for tending the course.

I can remember playing at Hoylake municipal course 20 odd years back and on the same day it was Artisans day.

It being a council run course I can only think it was a golf society made up of ex artisans or something.

You'll generally find that one person will run the Artisans section and use their home address as a point of contact, so it may be this address that was where you're talking of.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Artisans golf club - 25th Oct 2011 9:56pm
Rhoobarb is right. The club you've heard about was the West Cheshire Golf Club and had an Artisans' section. There's a good write-up about it in the book "Up Our Lobby" by Bill Houldin. ISBN 0-904582-08-6
Attached is a map of where the course was.

Attached picture West_Cheshire_Golf_Course.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral