Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Everton midfielder wins red card appeal - 4th Oct 2011 4:31pm
Rodwell wins red card appeal
Everton midfielder will not serve three-match suspension

Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell has won his appeal against the red card he was shown during Saturday's Merseyside derby defeat by Liverpool.

Rodwell was sent off midway through the first half at Goodison Park by referee Martin Atkinson following a challenge on Liverpool striker Luis Suarez.

Liverpool took advantage of their numerical advantage by running out 2-0 winners courtesy of second-half goals from Andy Carroll and Suarez.

However, speaking after the match, Everton boss David Moyes expressed his disappointment at Rodwell's dismissal and felt it had ruined the game.

"I thought it ruined the game," Moyes told Sky Sports. "There are a lot of questions asked about tackles in derbies but it wasn't down to a bad tackle by a player today.

"I knew we'd get something at some point in the game and at 11 v 11 we had our fair share but the game just stopped at that moment

"We've not had this referee since myself and Steve Round were fined a year ago after the Man Utd game and it was interesting that PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited) sent him in this week to do the referees appraisal prior to this game.

"I'd have been disappointed if he'd have even given a free-kick for it and if he'd have given a yellow card you would have said 'what was that for?'."

The FA has now confirmed that Rodwell's claim for wrongful dismissal has been upheld and, as a result, the three-match suspension has been withdrawn.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral