Forums
Posted By: Anonymous The Grand National - 8th Apr 2011 6:20pm
Anyone doing any bets on Tomorrows national. confused Here's the full list of all the horses running in the 2011 Grand National
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 7:58am
Nice 1 lid, would be rude not to
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 8:12am
I have Oscar Time and Ballabriggs in the sweep at work.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 9:35am
Think I will Have. "hello bud" and "can't buy me time" I also have midnight club in a sweep
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 9:58am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
I have Oscar Time

Me too.
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 12:38pm
I've got Big Fella Thanks, Don't Push It, Niche Market, Oscar Time and Surface To Air smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 12:45pm
Have you bet on these Wench or are they from a sweep?
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 12:52pm
My own bets. Just won on the first race 3-1 smile
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 2:07pm
Hi yes i bet once a year on the grande national.

I have bet on can,t buy time and buticoulntsee.

i love it its exiting to watch. otherwisw im not intrested in horseracing.

My dad always used to put a bet on for me when i was little, i won on red rum loads of times lol

sassy
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 2:48pm
I don't watch it because it knocks me sick when the horses fall frown I listen to it instead. Not bothered about the jockeys as they can be easily fixed.

Good Luck everyone though happy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 3:02pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I don't watch it because it knocks me sick when the horses fall frown I listen to it instead. Not bothered about the jockeys as they can be easily fixed.

Ditto.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 3:25pm
bezzy well done girl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 3:36pm

Ditto.
withthat
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 3:41pm
2nd, 3rd and 5th at early morning odds (much better than the starting prices) will do nicely!! Probably only be about £5 as it was an e/w bet but at least I'll get my money back grin
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 3:41pm
Ah poo, last last and last.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 4:06pm
oh how terribly sad 2 horses died. I wonder how they died, did they die because they broke ther kneck, or what do they get put down. i didnt win both of mine fell.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 4:09pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
bezzy well done girl
omgThanks TC, I'll be popular in work on Monday! Never win anything usually.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 4:11pm
Shane you weren't in our sweep Sanchez, we pay out for last horse home!
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Ah poo, last last and last.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 4:11pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
bezzy well done girl
omgThanks TC, I'll be popular in work on Monday! Never win anything usually.

milky bars are on you then queen smile
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 4:16pm
Originally Posted by summer01
theyll get put Down Sarah, thats why i can t watch it then end up as dog meat .

thats left me feeling sad. we saw at least one of the poor horses who fell and didnt get up, you could tell it didnt look good.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 6:07pm
Is it too late to join the sweep Bezzy?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 9:04pm
Afraid so Sanchez!
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Is it too late to join the sweep Bezzy?
Posted By: starakita Re: The Grand National - 9th Apr 2011 10:15pm
I got 1st &5th hubby got 2nd he got that in the sweep at work as well.It's a shame about the 2 horses that didn't make it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 10:34am
Done e/w bet on "don't push it" as well so got a 3rd. wink
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 10:38am
If it wasn't for the racing nobody would bother breeding them in the first place, so at least they have a chance. On top of that, it is no good betting on the race and then bemoaning the fact that some of them get hurt or killed. If nobody betted the race wouldn't be run. Personally I think that it is their reason for being alive in the first place so unfortunately it's just toughski. If they are hurt too badly they are put down humanely.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 11:05am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
On top of that, it is no good betting on the race and then bemoaning the fact that some of them get hurt or killed. If nobody betted the race wouldn't be run.

withthat
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 1:32pm
It's Just cruel end of eek
Posted By: MrPhil Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 3:50pm
Originally Posted by Tilly
It's Just cruel end of eek

They are well trained, well fed, treated extremley well yet it is cruel?

Real shame about the 2 deaths, i'm sure the owners, trainer, stable hands, vets are all sad about it.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 4:26pm
Its like raising pigs for the slorter by the sounds of that mrphil.
Posted By: hoseman Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 5:56pm
Didnt bet, dont bet and wont bet. I dont beleive in the cruelty.
You lot enjoy your winnings and think of the poor horses that didnt make it! Hope your £5 anf £10 winnings was worth it!!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 7:20pm
I dont see it as cruel, as said above they are well looked after and well trained. I do feel that it could be made safer, loads has been done in the last few years towards this and let's hope more come in. The deaths yesterday were not the norm comparing to the last couple of years and the rate is continuing to fall year on year on average.
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 7:45pm
still upsetting to watch .most do bet though and this is what its all about money.

The simple answer is don't watch it! It's not just about the money - it's been going for donkey's years, it's a British Institution.

I don't like it when horses die, but thankfully they died quickly (one with a broken neck and one with a broken back) as opposed to breaking a leg which is worse. I have a lot of horsey friends and one had a horse that died on a normal run and another whose horse got spooked by something, threw him off and ended up breaking its leg because it landed awkwardly. It happens every day, but nobody says "stop keeping horses and riding them".

We go through this same discussion every year. There will always be people for and against National Hunt Racing, but horses also die doing Flat Racing, Show Jumping, Dressage, Cross Country, Point to Point etc.
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 7:59pm
No offence meant Summer, and it's not aimed at you (just so that's clear), but it always seems to be people who know nothing or very little about horses that make the most noise about banning the Grand National and National Hunt Racing in general.

Before the days of cars, there were horses. People rode them for bally miles and miles, during all kinds of weather. They had to jump over fences, bushes etc to get from one place to another. If a horse does not want to jump, it will not jump! Simple as! Yes, I know they still run and jump when they unseat their riders because they are a "pack animal". I also know that they will run and jump even if there's no other horses around - I know that because I've spent many years around horses.

The events of this years Grand National meet will no doubt be looked at by those in charge, and the wider "horsey" circles including Vets, and if necessary, more changes will be made.

If the likes of Ginger McCain says we don't need to ban National Hunt, then who am I to argue!?! What that man doesn't know about horses and racing isn't worth knowing!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 8:12pm
still upsetting to watch .most do bet though and this is what its all about money.

The simple answer is don't watch it! It's not just about the money - it's been going for donkey's years, it's a British Institution.

I don't like it when horses die, but thankfully they died quickly (one with a broken neck and one with a broken back) as opposed to breaking a leg which is worse. I have a lot of horsey friends and one had a horse that died on a normal run and another whose horse got spooked by something, threw him off and ended up breaking its leg because it landed awkwardly. It happens every day, but nobody says "stop keeping horses and riding them".

We go through this same discussion every year. There will always be people for and against National Hunt Racing, but horses also die doing Flat Racing, Show Jumping, Dressage, Cross Country, Point to Point etc.
i do know this ,i have have taken horse riding lessons back home .theres 3 different commands for the horse or 4 cant remember . but when you ride on him i think its gallope the horse s heart beats double fast and sweats ,imagine this in the grand national.and saturday was quite warm as well .but point taken wench .

I cant understand why they dont have huge colling wa;l through showers at the very end of the race to cool the horses off?
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 8:22pm
oops, I ment why dont they have big industrial showers at the end of the track fot the horses to cool down, On sat they were despirately trying to throw buckets on the horses...
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 8:44pm
good idea though wink
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 8:59pm
I know, although they have a good life...better than most horses kept in captivity, the horses are use to mans advantages and gains. The horse has a high price to pay for its life style.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:03pm
so thats exactly true so they have no other option to run sanchez .all the jockey wants is them to run and win .all about money not the horse . you being a sparky could win the grand national with electric shocks lol only joking. forget i said that lol

The jockey will also be concerned about the horse.

Also Summer you electic comment is distastful.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:08pm
i have been on horses in larchwood, nice animals.
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:08pm
I rest my case about those who know nothing about horses smack

The jockeys and stable crew care a hell of a lot more about the horses than you realise. The jockeys have to - the trust that is required between them and the horse is immense! Having worked with both thoroughbred horses and normal horses, you have to work hard to gain their trust and vice versa. The bond between jockey/rider and horse is the same as the bond between a human and a working dog.

Posted By: MrPhil Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:09pm
have you went on a horse sanchez ? theres riding them and racing them , is different. you like annimals ?

Summer I like animals that much I have a cremated horse.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:12pm
Yes.

Really.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:15pm
I have been involved with horses since I was about ten years old,
have been on nags to thoroughbreds.
If they don't want to jump you ain't gonna make them!
Saying that,I don't like to watch the national and would like to see some changes made.
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:19pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil
Yes.

Really.
was the horse yours? i used to ride a horse called diamond she was a black stalion nice horse . but they did the same used her i didn t know .

Not possible I'm afraid - a stallion is male. Plus, if as you say you've had a few lessons, there is no way anyone who knows anything about horses would allow such a novice on a stallion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:24pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil
Yes.

Really.
was the horse yours? i used to ride a horse called diamond she was a black stalion nice horse . but they did the same used her i didn t know .

eeerrrrr wench you know horses

I'm I wrong in thinking a stallion is a male horse that has not been gelded (neutered).

sorry not having a go I'm just asking.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:26pm
wench your to quick for me lol
Posted By: Wench Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:28pm
No, you're right Zip. It has to be over 4yrs old though, before that it's a colt. The only reason to keep a male horse "intact" is for breeding really.

Sorry Star - I'll try and slow down raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:38pm
Originally Posted by zippy
[quote=MrPhil]Yes.

Really.

eeerrrrr wench you know horses

I'm I wrong in thinking a stallion is a male horse that has not been gelded (neutered).

sorry not having a go I'm just asking.
mm wonder [/quote]

what your wondering about lol why your hourse had 5 legs, and everyone else only had 4 lol
Posted By: MrPhil Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 9:50pm
If any of you remember the horses on West Kirby beach in the early 90's will know the horse summer, he used to pull the cart to hilbre island in summer months.
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Grand National - 10th Apr 2011 11:46pm
Racing is a vile industry where the horse is just a commodity. To race a horse at the age of two is nothing short of cruel IMHO. They are simply not up to it physically or mentally. Normal people dont even begin to break horses until they are three or even four.

Thousands of horses are bred each year and it's only the very small minority who make the grade. And when their career is over???
Hello Dandy won the National in 1984. Ten years later he was found in a field starving, suffering from rain scald & cracked hooves. There's gratitude for you!
Posted By: layercake Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 10:31am

why summer what do you actually know about the greyhound racing industry ??
yes i feel sorry for the 2 horses that died but with out racing they would never off been alive to start with...if you look back at red rums years 1973 the jumps where twice as high alot more horses died and alot fell ..you could bet on how many would finish.so the national has come along way since then IMO
Posted By: layercake Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 10:41am
nope i didnt but i watched it and enjoyed watching it.as i say its a shame about the 2 horses.you brought up greyhounds i have 3 racing greyhounds at the moment and in last 15 years had around 10 .you should concentrate your time (as it seem you have a hell of alot) on the staffs + co that are locked up in peoples back gardens all day every day
Posted By: Tilly Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 1:41pm
i know Tilly .its like greyhound racing another horror story .it goes on

your right Summer Greyhound racing is the pits, the horror stories that come from people that work at Greyhound Rescues make me sick to my stomach, Greyhound racing should be banned. mad

Posted By: sarahdavo Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 2:59pm
I think the death of the 2 horses has put me off wanting to bet on the national in future. seems a high price to pay, for the horse to die, just for the sake of a flutter. i dont bet otherwise only once a year on the national. but im sure me not betting on it wont stop the racing carriying on. why dont they make the jumps lower. also i wonder why it seems horses get put down when they are injured. most peoples pets are ther pride and joy, and they would spend any amount of money in trying to fix them. ive never understood why horses just get put down.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 3:01pm
Originally Posted by layercake
nope i didnt but i watched it and enjoyed watching it.as i say its a shame about the 2 horses.you brought up greyhounds i have 3 racing greyhounds at the moment and in last 15 years had around 10 .you should concentrate your time (as it seem you have a hell of alot) on the staffs + co that are locked up in peoples back gardens all day every day

whats staffs + co ?
Posted By: layercake Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 3:32pm
i mean other breed of animals that get abused.. i bet the rspca have some horror storys off all breeds off dog cat horse reptile.its the sad part of pets some will get mistreated .we will never stop it no matter how hard we try
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: The Grand National - 11th Apr 2011 6:38pm
yes i like horses, dont know anything about them, i might stroke one on the nose if its head is over a fence, but havent ridden one, they look beautiful animals. a bit big and strong though bit scary .x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral