Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 4:54pm
Originally Posted by Liverpoolfc.tv
Liverpool have today confirmed that Sammy Lee will return to Anfield in the role of assistant manager.
The former Reds midfielder has agreed to a third spell at the club as a replacement for first-team coach Alex Miller, who left to take over as manager of Japanese outfit JEF United Ciba last week.

The 49-year-old first made an impression with Liverpool during the halcyon days of the late 1970s/early 1980s when, as a player, he helped the all-conquering Reds to three League titles, four League Cups and two European Cups before moving to QPR in 1986, with later spells at Osasuna, Southampton and Bolton.

He returned to Liverpool as reserve team manager under Graeme Souness in 1993 and maintained his role in the backroom staff under both Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier, with the latter promoting him to first team coach.

He would remain at Anfield until the summer of 2004, playing a valuable role in the treble success of 2001, until the arrival of Rafael Benitez coincided with Lee's decision to leave the club for a full-time position within the England camp.

He returned to the Premier League in June 2005 as assistant to Sam Allardyce at another former club, Bolton, where he would eventually take over the hot-seat in April 2007. However, he was not given time to flourish at the Reebok Stadium and just six months later he was relieved of his duties.

Excellent new imho; still would have preferred Paco back at the helm, but Lee is a good second best. Maybe he can help Benitez to realise that Shuyt is just that and Crouch is the main man alongside El Nino!

smile

LiverpoolFC.tv News Report
Posted By: Brian Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 7:11pm
Anyone else for a "Bring back Gonzo" campaign?

Brian.
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 7:35pm
i think its great sammy is back
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 7:44pm
i think he did a great job at bolton, benitez out sammy in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: dave_g Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 8:22pm
is he takin his silly ear peice wit him?
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 8:27pm
no, they just bolton issue. he has to grow a silly goatee at liverpool!
Posted By: dave_g Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 16th May 2008 8:32pm
dont care cmon the rovers!
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 3:46pm
stop that silly talk
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 3:46pm
i think you two are stupid and dont say bono
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 4:14pm
has bono gone to liverpool too?
Posted By: dave_g Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 4:17pm
the edge as well?
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 4:18pm
edge of the top four, and falling!
Posted By: dave_g Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 4:25pm
fourkin right
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 4:27pm
he's small, he's fat' he went and got the sack, sammy lee sammy lee!
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 9:36pm
horrid, horrid sick tranmere fans
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 17th May 2008 10:01pm
presume you mean thommo then brian? i agree
Posted By: Brian Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 5:28am
Originally Posted by rentaclown100
presume you mean thommo then brian? i agree

Yes. It's been a long while since I went to Anfield, I was one of those who gave up their season ticket when the Kop was seated, but Gonzo was his (terrace) nickname in those days. One of two people I can think of who hasn't been treated as his service to the club deserves (Stevie Heighway is the other one). Phil sure didn't do too badly when Houllier was hospitalised, and unless he was offered the job and turned it down without word getting out, I'd have put him in front of Sammy in the queue. But anyway, the important thing is getting someone who Benitez can work with, and I think Sammy got shafted at Bolton. He deserves another chance.

Nowadays I only get to see the matches over the net, that's http://livetv.ru/en for any of you who don't know about it. A lot of the time you get commentary in Cantonese or similar, but hey, it makes as much sense as Motson ever did.

Brian.
Posted By: jonah Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 7:43am
hmmmm, so Benitez needs a new tea boy then... suppose sammy can always take out the orange segments at half time....
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 7:51am
he's fat ,he' round and he's good to pass the jaffas round sammy lee,sammy lee
Posted By: jonah Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 8:01am
Originally Posted by jonno39
he's fat ,he' round and he's good to pass the jaffas round sammy lee,sammy lee
raftl yipee
Posted By: Sludge Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 8:27am
Excellent news , im old enough to remember the good old days , he was a f-cking dynamo in the midfield , and a true red through and through. Legend

Sammy Lee: Midfielder (1977 - 1986)
Date of Birth: 07/02/59
Birthplace: Liverpool
Debut : 8th April 1978 v Leicester City (H) Football League Division One: won 3-2
1st team games: 294
1st team goals: 19
Other clubs: Queens Park Rangers, Osasuna, Southampton, Bolton Wanderers
International caps while with Liverpool: 14 (England)
International goals while with Liverpool: 2
Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1981/82, 1982/83 & 1983/84, League (Milk) Cup 1981, 1982, 1983 & 1984, European Cup 1981 & 1984
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 9:08am
Sammy Lee: Midfielder (1977 - 1986)
Date of Birth: 07/02/59
Birthplace: UMPA LUMPA LAND
Posted By: Sludge Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 9:15am
Bad boy laugh laugh
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Sammy Lee Returns To Assist Benitez - 18th May 2008 11:45am
did benitez play max, in max and paddys road to nowhere?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral