Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Super Aguri Exit F1 - 6th May 2008 10:42am
Originally Posted by BBC News
The Super Aguri team have withdrawn from the Formula One World Championship because of a lack of funding. The Japanese team have wound up their racing activities with immediate effect and will not compete at this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix.

Super Aguri have been struggling for survival since the collapse of a takeover deal by the Dubai-based Magma Group in April. It means British driver Anthony Davidson is now without an F1 drive.

Team founder Aguri Suzuki, who broke the news in Japan, said: "Regretfully I must inform you that the team will be ceasing racing activities. The loss of financial backing put the team into financial difficulties.

"With the help of Honda, we somehow managed to keep the team going, but we find it difficult to establish a way to continue the activities in the future so I have concluded to withdraw. I have been very happy that I was able to achieve a miracle and become a team owner."

All credit to Honda for assisting the team so much to help it stay in the sport, but how many more small team's are going to go bust before it becomes just a 4 or maybe 5 team sport?

think

BBC News Report
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: Super Aguri Exit F1 - 6th May 2008 11:19am
I was dissapointed to hear this news. Im pretty sure that Aguri Suzuki was interviewed at the Spanish GP and said the team would definately be in Turkey. Obviously he wasnt able to say any different.

Personally I have always thought that the backmarkers go half way to making the passing opportunities possible. Without them to hold up the front-runners the sport will just become a procession around the track.

Im sorry to see them go.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Super Aguri Exit F1 - 6th May 2008 5:21pm
Yes, they were expecting to be taken over last week which is why they confirmed they would be in Turkey, but the deal fell through so they are not able to fund it anymore, and Honda have already given them heap's of cash as well as free engines, gearboxes etc to keep them going.

With Honda having their own F1 team, it is pretty much stupid for them to keep looking after a competitors interests, especially if the situation gets no better.

It's not just the small teams who are questioning their future in the sport, but also Renault do no think it is a financially viable sport, although they have committed until the 2011 season iirc.

There isnt much future in the sport imho, and it's about to get even harder for the small teams, as the big boys will no longer be able to support them by selling them customized engines etc in 2010.

F1 is quite simply killing itself. There will need to be BIG changes to the sport, if it is to remain the dominant force in FIA Motor Racing in 10 years time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral