Forums
Posted By: motionspoon Does anyone know what this unusual item is? - 9th Sep 2011 1:59am
Was given this recently by a friend who was having a clear-out, I was going to gift it to an electrical friend of mine but our paths haven't crossed for a whilst, does anyone know what this is? if so does it have any monetry value or is it a piece of junk? Intrigued to find out, I was thinking something like an old telephone connection exchange box or something to do with manipulating audio (as it came from an audio guy)

Thanks in advance for looking...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheDr Re: Does anyone know what this unusual item is? - 9th Sep 2011 3:03am
Without looking at the the circuit boards properly most of this is guesswork, but educated guesswork laugh

Judging by the makeup of the box and the way it is generally put together I would say it is homemade, and from the duplication of components I wouldn't imagine that it is just a transfer from another housing I think it has been made up from other items.

It appears to have several audio inputs (you say it's from an "audio guy") and there are several pots (variable resistors) which appear to control the input signal, along with (if I'm seeing it right) a VERY large capacitor (the silver can type object) which is either used to stabilise the voltage or to give a huge boost when required.

I can't see it being from a telephone exchange, despite the variable inputs.

It looks as though it's taking a fixed signal from a single input and then using the jack pugs in a variety of sockets to allow for different "effects" to be applied to the signal, either to enhance it, amplify it within a certain range or to control the effects within a fixed parameter.

Without seeing it properly I don't know, I'm just working on what it looks like, without seeing the circuits properly though it is just guesswork (unless somebody else recognises it as the guidance system from one of the ferries smile )
brilliant as ever dr, thanks, I'll try to get some circuitry pics up soon, anyone else please feel free to add to the dr's thoughts...
Posted By: Tatey Re: Does anyone know what this unusual item is? - 9th Sep 2011 8:04am
I have no idea, but if I had built something that badly when I was doing my Radio & TV Servicing course at Birkenhead Tech, my instructor would have had a fit!
It looks a bit similar to this

Attached picture manwoman.jpg
Posted By: Clive Re: Does anyone know what this unusual item is? - 9th Sep 2011 9:27am
laffin
I would say my uneducated guess is it looks like some kind of homemade amp or other radio type equipment.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Does anyone know what this unusual item is? - 9th Sep 2011 10:28am
It a time machine ;-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral