Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Racing Pigeon - 3rd Mar 2016 7:42pm
Today the most beautiful pigeon was in my Apple tree.He is almost navy blue, with green feathers and large flash of white on breast.There are several flashes of white on wings.He might be living in the Leyland trees in neighbour's garden.Could not see if he had a leg ring

Please pass this on if any one has lost a bird in Saughall Massie area
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Racing Pigeon - 4th Mar 2016 10:47am
If you can get any details you can report them here:

http://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/

I did this a couple of years ago and within 40 minutes a local fancier turned up to collect him. The bird turned out to be from Hull!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Racing Pigeon - 4th Mar 2016 11:25pm
Thank you Gibbo for the information.I am sure he is living back of my house so if possible I hope to follow it up.
Posted By: venice Re: Racing Pigeon - 4th Mar 2016 11:51pm
If it is a racing pigeon , Im told that many of the fanciers will neck anything which fails to home if they get them taken back. How true it is I dont know personally.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Racing Pigeon - 5th Mar 2016 12:52am
Originally Posted by venice
If it is a racing pigeon , Im told that many of the fanciers will neck anything which fails to home if they get them taken back. How true it is I dont know personally.

Probably true this, unless its a champion bird etc. I know that they get necked in the end anyway when they are finished, as they keep on returning to the allotment/Shed etc and are surpulus to requirements (Spent plenty of my youth up Tranmere Allotments) Suprised there isn't more of an outcry about it but it seems to be kept quiet and swept under the carpet.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Racing Pigeon - 5th Mar 2016 10:03am
And to think, I thought necking was having a good snog!
Posted By: venice Re: Racing Pigeon - 5th Mar 2016 12:49pm
[quote=paxvobiscum]And to think, I thought necking was having a good snog! [/quote

You get your horizons broadened on here ! lol

Animal rescues (some good ones) dont try and return racers. They keep them confined for a month to monitor their health , allow the ring to drop off whistle ,and re release them. I believe the homing instinct is then destroyed and they just adapt to normal wild pigeon life. Most of the pigeons are just exhausted and disorientated , thats why they lose their way in the first place - but thats not a good trait and fanciers wont put up with it .
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Racing Pigeon - 10th Mar 2016 9:10am
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
And to think, I thought necking was having a good snog!

Both still to do with birds
© Wirral-Wikiwirral