Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 1:05pm
Interesting documentary on a norfolk man who eats what he finds dead on the uk roads.

Even if it has gone off and has green meat and stinks he still eats it.

Nice chap, he also says there is no god, he used to be a religious preacher years ago but turned the tables after asking a question.

Interesting chap.

Enjoy smile

[youtube]OQvt-gxbq5E[/youtube]
Posted By: Kev30x Re: The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 1:30pm
Plenty of interesting chaps like this one in Clatterbridge Hospital Psychiatric unit.
Posted By: starakita Re: The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 5:18pm
wonder if he would have eaten the donkey washed up in the rocks on New Brighton beach the other week,the dog was sniffing round & I didn't see it till the last moment when I nearly fell over it.
Posted By: venice Re: The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 7:11pm
Really found that interesting Ste , thanks for posting. I like a lot of his principles . Obviously a bit eccentric eating near rotten meat, ---oh wait a minute, dont posh people pay extra to have pheasants dripping maggots from their tails ? --- and what about those folk who for non comprehensible and illogical reasons decide its ok to eat this animal but not that animal-- are any of them less 'weird'than this caring Norfolk guy.

He's a genuine recycler and believes in not wasting an already dead animals body in favour of killing another one specially.Weird or logical?
He believes every edible bit of a slaughtered animal should be used , so an animal hasnt died in vain .Respect . I know people who buy a whole chicken that someone has killed for them, and throw it away after eating just the white meat. Disrespect on so many levels.

ok so hes extreme in demonstrating his beliefs, but I think hes got so much credibility . He would have been a statesman in North American Indian tribes !

He's off the beaten track, but far from being a psychiatric case in my opinion.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 9:05pm
Often take a pheasant roadkill if there is a safe parking place. They are usually fresh as foxes would soon take them after a night. Going to try squirrel when i find one but seems a lot o hard work for little meat.
Posted By: venice Re: The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 10:00pm
I had loads of that, and rk rabbit when I was a kid courtesy of my Dad who loved gamey meats but couldnt afford them. He could judge how long they had been dead by the eyes.
Posted By: DJDuck Re: The man who eats roadkill - 17th Apr 2014 10:34pm
I've often thought about this method as a different means to acquire a healthy, well balanced meal however ambulances and the police usually beat me to the victim.

Regards

Hannibal
Posted By: granny Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 9:14am
There are quite often cats around too, which I believe have been served up from time to time at our delicatessen takeaways! We didn't like it then.

Trouble is, if we all start doing this, it could end up as 'road rage'. handbag
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 10:20am
I've only eaten roadkill once. Like fish5153, it was a big cock pheasant. Freshly donged. Took it home. Bought another pheasant from the local game dealer and had them both. It served the whole family. A bottle of Red to go with it. NICE ! Not too sure about consuming Tiddles or Bonzo though ? Like Granny says, I have probably eaten Bonzo. A hitherto "good" takeaway in Chester I regularly used moons ago, was done for having what turned out to be Alsation meat in the fridge! Not so nice!
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 11:45am
Those carcasses will be full of congealed blood,Ill pass snob
Posted By: venice Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 11:57am
Granny - lol!

Pinz - Be careful what you call Fish, he may or may not be upset grin

Obviously dogs and cats cant taste TOO different to conventional 'meats' otherwise the restaurants wouldnt get away with it for so long.

Lets look at something hypothetically,from an unselfish animal welfare point of view. Say you had to choose -------

Would you rather eat a chicken which has been intensively reared -water provision set at a height to weed out the weak disabled ones, packed in tight on ammonia saturated bedding which burns their hocks when they attempt to hunker down to rest on legs that wont support their artificial ,grossly accelerated weight gain. (youve see those black hocks on the drumsticks of loads of supermarket chickens) A chicken often sparcely feathered from stress and being pecked, roughly grabbed from its super hot low lit shed , and crammed tightly into a crate with a dozen others, never minding that legs and wings get broken, --driven usually for hours often in freezing temperatures, to an abbatoire where they are hung upsidedown by one leg , on a conveyor which transports them and dunks their heads into a tank of electrically charged boiling water which stuns the ones that dont retract their heads, with all moving on next to the neck cutting machine where MOST of them are despatched totally -as long as their neck is the length 'set' for the fatal cut, then on the to the scald tank for defeathering where MOST of them wont feel a thing. (Problem is with mechanization, and different weights and sizes of birds, the variance can cause an unacceptable level of failures) Yuk

OR would you feel less uncomfortable and less guilty about eating a rabbit that was running happily round a field enjoying itself until bang, shot by a professional 'stalker'?

OK for those of you that chose to have the rabbit killed---- what if I change that option to a dog? Think about it,

its more logical and compassionate to choose to eat the dog. That one animal wouldnt have suffered at all , and the taking of that one dog life would provide triple the meals than from one tortured chicken life or even the one happy rabbit life.

We are such an illogical species I think.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 12:20pm
I had alligator once and it tasted a bit like the stagnant pond he came out of .. which I think is fair venice because given him half a chance he would of eaten me.lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 12:22pm
Thanks venice for pointing out my bad phraseology. Sorry fish, no offence intended I assure you. blush
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 8:12pm
I remember watching this a few years ago after my daughter told me about it. smile
Posted By: starakita Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 8:28pm
remember now my daughters ex boyfriend had a mate who had a license to shoot rabbits.She wasn't impressed when she opened the fridge & there were dead rabbits but she gave me three so I made a stew with them.
Posted By: granny Re: The man who eats roadkill - 18th Apr 2014 9:06pm
Certainly don't like the idea of eating meat from any carnivores. Eating meat that ate meat , yuk ! A real mixture of blood and guts. Can't be good.
In fact you will probably say 'Oh no Granny, not again' but yes, just thought this might be of interest

Easy Version : Gives a guidance and if you relate it to what we know, it is fairly reasonable guidance.
Yes, you can give me an ear full and argue..... laugh

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+11&version=ERV

Don't know what it means by 'unclean until evening' and it is the Old testament.
Posted By: venice Re: The man who eats roadkill - 19th Apr 2014 10:19am
Sorry Granny, but those rules DO look as if they have been thought up by someone 'interesting' from Clatterbridge psychiatric centre!
Posted By: granny Re: The man who eats roadkill - 19th Apr 2014 3:10pm
If they were rules written down by the ancient Egyptians, would it be the same conclussion? Could it not be advice linked to the food chain? After all we did have CJD due to cattle eating meat and bone meal, containing infected brain and spinal cord. Take the word GOD out of it, and the way it is explained would show that any animal/bird which are refuse collectors and /or meat eaters, should not be eaten, or raw fish from polluted waters. Neither should those that walk all over decomposed matter. Who would eat a fly after it's stood in shit?
That makes fairly good sense to me, if we hope to avoid disease.
That chap could also be a carrier of CJD or many other things for that matter.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The man who eats roadkill - 19th Apr 2014 7:13pm
Originally Posted by granny
If they were rules written down by the ancient Egyptians, would it be the same conclussion? Could it not be advice linked to the food chain? After all we did have CJD due to cattle eating meat and bone meal, containing infected brain and spinal cord. Take the word GOD out of it, and the way it is explained would show that any animal/bird which are refuse collectors and /or meat eaters, should not be eaten, or raw fish from polluted waters. Neither should those that walk all over decomposed matter. Who would eat a fly after it's stood in shit?
That makes fairly good sense to me, if we hope to avoid disease.
That chap could also be a carrier of CJD or many other things for that matter.

interesting point granny.

i read an article about a vegaterian who contracted CJD, he last ate meat 5 years ago but it lied dormant in his system.

Scary thought.
Posted By: venice Re: The man who eats roadkill - 19th Apr 2014 9:51pm
Originally Posted by venice
Sorry Granny, but those rules DO look as if they have been thought up by someone 'interesting' from Clatterbridge psychiatric centre!

Actually , I take all that back and eat humble pie ! Ive just done some reading around it about how that 'hygenic' diet saved Jews from many diseases etc. Have to admit Im not into religion at all -and I tend to dismiss what looks like gobbldegook ,out of hand, but those particular 'rules' do make some sense - although I wonder why horses and donkeys were'nt eaten ?
Posted By: granny Re: The man who eats roadkill - 19th Apr 2014 10:34pm
Yes Venice, I also wondered why and have found this little extract:

[But] note that an animal doesn't have to be a scavenger to be unclean. Horses and rabbits, for example, are unclean because they do not have split hooves. Although they are considered to be good food in some countries, studies have shown that horse meat often contains viruses and parasites. Rabbits, as innocent as they appear, are the cause of tularemia (an infectious disease) in humans.
Posted By: granny Re: The man who eats roadkill - 8th Oct 2014 5:00pm
The ebola virus is yet another reason to justify the rules mentioned about meat eating in some of the previous posts.

According to a Dr. interviewed today, it originates in fruit bats of which monkeys eat and then humans catch the monkeys and eat them. Known as 'bush meat' and from there the chain of infection begins.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The man who eats roadkill - 8th Oct 2014 8:23pm
Originally Posted by granny
The ebola virus is yet another reason to justify the rules mentioned about meat eating in some of the previous posts.

According to a Dr. interviewed today, it originates in fruit bats of which monkeys eat and then humans catch the monkeys and eat them. Known as 'bush meat' and from there the chain of infection begins.

People eat monkeys?
Thats revolting.

Certain chinese cultures eat dog, they actually chop them and put them straight in the pan from the floor, they have them like pets and just pick one when they want to cook.

Now that i can imagine to be very dangerous, lots of bacteria being consumed there, not only that but very cruel yet they don't see it that way as the children are brought up to join in.

Some strange appetites out there.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The man who eats roadkill - 8th Oct 2014 9:01pm
There was a picture trending on Twitter today of a 14 year old girl posing with a bear she had slaughtered in America somewhere.

It seems she got a 'bit of stick' but she defended her actions as necessary as she was feeding the family.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral