Forums
Posted By: eggandchips vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 3:24pm
i took one of my dogs to the vet last week. i feared he had lungworm. the consultation and pain relief came to £39
the worming powder twice daily for 7 days came to £87.55 inc vat.
i have since found the exact same worming powder online, at animed direct, the cost for 15 sachets is £21.30 inc vat, with free delivery.
i have complained to the vets , and they say if i order the sachets and take it to them, they will refund my £87.55.
i will not name the practice as they are refunding my money.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 3:29pm
Good on you for 'challenging' the vets, that's just day light robbery !!
Posted By: Madge Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 3:54pm
they are robbing gets, hope your dogs havnt got lungworm,
Posted By: Uffda Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 3:58pm
You don't mind Vets making a bit of a profit to cover their expertise and running costs but that mark up was ridiculous. Thank you for sharing that story as before I probably wouldn't have challenged Vets but just trusted them.
Posted By: granny Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 4:03pm
Pretty annoying Egg, but vets have virtually been given carte blanche to charge what they want, since pet insurance was introduced.

Another recent story about my sisters dog. Needed to be a confirmed diagnosis of cancer. Admittedly it was an Irish Wolfhound, i.e. means large. She took it to Leahurst Vetinary on one day and picked it up the next, to be told there was nothing to be done. Given a supply of pills to reduce any pain. Cost.........£1,900
She had to have it put down the following day as it had walked in the vets but 24 hours later, couldn't stand. Another £700 for vet's home visit and cremation.
All covered by insurance of course, but more than keeping a car on the road.
Posted By: danjaylai Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 4:55pm
We started using vio vet after we got stung by a local vet for flea and worm treatments

http://www.viovet.co.uk/
Posted By: suey30 Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 5:23pm
Thank you for this information,I have just been charged £57 for flea drops and spray that I could have bought off this site for,flea drops £15 and spray £8.I have well and truly been ripped off.
Posted By: baconbutty Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 8:31pm
Frontline is £25ish for dogs in Costco for 6 doses. £50 in pets at home!
Posted By: s7uajones Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 9:23pm
One still needs a prescription

Checkout error
Error 12: Please make sure that you select a pet(s) for the following product: Canaural Ear Drops 25ml
Error 14: Please make sure that you select how you will provide the prescription for: Canaural Ear Drops 25ml

So the VET wins
Posted By: mrhanky Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 10:13pm
gawd, someone in business trying to make a profit!! the thing is it only costs 50p to train to be a vet and all the staff work for them for free.

anyway, i'm off to the chippy, think i might take my own spuds and get them to use them and save some money wink
Posted By: ASE71 Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 10:39pm
All vets are a rip off, FACT!
Posted By: karlb Re: vet bills - 25th Nov 2013 11:12pm
Originally Posted by s7uajones

Checkout error
Error 12: Please make sure that you select a pet(s) for the following product: Canaural Ear Drops 25ml
Error 14: Please make sure that you select how you will provide the prescription for: Canaural Ear Drops 25ml

So the VET wins

Prescription's use to be free but they charge for them now even with prescription charges i use to send off for insulin to http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk and it was £30 cheaper works out a lot over a year.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 9:17am
depend what you are ordering, the items i needed, did not.
Originally Posted by s7uajones

Checkout error

So the VET wins
Posted By: eggandchips Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 9:20am
there making a profit, and theres pure extortion.
you are paying for their expertise in the consultation fee, which in my case was £23, not bad for ten minutes work!!
Originally Posted by mrhanky
gawd, someone in business trying to make a profit!! the thing is it only costs 50p to train to be a vet and all the staff work for them for free.

anyway, i'm off to the chippy, think i might take my own spuds and get them to use them and save some money wink
Posted By: Salmon Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 9:23am
Home Bargain have Bob Martins Pestroy .I can't recall how much but nothing like £15, reckons to give 4 weeks protection.
Vets, like other professionals have to make a living and it can take up to 8 years for a vet to become qualified.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 9:27am
there has been some concern regarding bob martins wormers, several people have complained and the last i heard , bob martin makers were investigating
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 11:20am
People should not take those tablets, they are for animals only.
Posted By: Wench Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 11:31am
Originally Posted by ASE71
All vets are a rip off, FACT!

Not all vets, especially when there's nobody else that can operate on your dog when it has cancer - as in the case of my dog. There is also nobody else who can vaccinate her. For things like that, they are a godsend!! My vet is very reasonable and I cannot recommend them enough. Without them, my dog would not be back to normal and for now, cancer free!

I cannot put a price on that smile
Posted By: katyem Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 11:52am
Its the same for Indorex household flea spray vets in Liscard charged me £19 I now get it for £8 from Animed. I also complained and got the difference refunded. I don't mind paying a little over the odds but then there is taking the piss.

Animed has always given really quick free delivery and been very helpful if you need to ring or e-mail them. I get all flea, worming etc from them.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: vet bills - 26th Nov 2013 12:24pm
obviously, i meant their pets had suffered an adverse reaction to bob martins
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
People should not take those tablets, they are for animals only.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: vet bills - 28th Nov 2013 2:37pm
just an update, the vets practice have reneged on their promise to refund my money, apparently though because i had been over charged they will give me half my money back.. i have had to accept this , and obviously not happy about it. i have informed them i will no longer take my 3 dogs and those that i foster/ mind to broadway vets again
Originally Posted by eggandchips
i took one of my dogs to the vet last week. i feared he had lungworm. the consultation and pain relief came to £39
the worming powder twice daily for 7 days came to £87.55 inc vat.
i have since found the exact same worming powder online, at animed direct, the cost for 15 sachets is £21.30 inc vat, with free delivery.
i have complained to the vets , and they say if i order the sachets and take it to them, they will refund my £87.55.
i will not name the practice as they are refunding my money.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: vet bills - 28th Nov 2013 2:46pm
The vet seems to be seeing pound signs in making money and not having the best interest in your pet.Believe me its a fact.I have had this experience of this in the past..One of my cats had a ear infection and it really cost me a fortune.maybe look for another vet.Bob martins flea and worm treatment has been okay to use on my pets had np problems at all.
Posted By: keving Re: vet bills - 28th Nov 2013 9:36pm
I was at the vets last week with my boxer, he's got suspected arthritis. I'd already paid for a small bottle of Loxicom, to see how is was for a week. As he improved slightly they said keep him on it for good. Cost of a 100ml bottle from the vet £54, i'd already checked the cost only £15. So i told the vet this and that I need a prescription, so he just said he'll charge me £12.50 for the prescription then and I can keep getting them and paying the £12.50 when it runs out (around monthly)

Luckily, I managed to con the internet pharmacy into selling me 3 bottles.

I told the vets, I don't mind paying a higher price for the medicine from them, but the difference from £54 to £15 is ridiculous...
Posted By: lodes Re: vet bills - 31st Dec 2013 6:37pm
I recently had to have my dog put down so if anyone needs caninsulin for diabetic dogs please get in touch- I don't want to give it to vets because of their charges. Also have Vivitonin tabs, would like to see proof of need if possible.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral