Forums
Posted By: fruitcake husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 10:09am
my 18month old husky has started carrying her toy around and whimpering. this started yesterday and last night I noticed she had put it in some washing on my bedroom floor and was covering it up very gently like she was caring for a baby. she lay there with it all night til I got up and then she picked it up and followed me around the house whimpering all the time with it in her mouth. she seems her normal self and doesn't seem ill she is still very boisteroius and playful but when i try to touch the toy she is very protective of it, not aggressive but she will try to keep me away from it. could this be a hormonal thing she hasn't been done yet because I was undecided whether to let her have a litter but maybe a trip to the vet might help...has anyone had any experience of this.
also she has never been bred
Posted By: eggandchips Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 10:14am
she's probably experiencing a 'phantom pregnancy'
nesting etc

just read up on it, save yourself a trip to the vets and a big bill
Posted By: fruitcake Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 10:22am
I did have a little look on the net this morning but could only find this relating to this after the dogs have been bred I will do a bit more digging and try and get more info...I know she is a happy healthy dog but I feel awful hearing her sounding so sad hopefully it wont last very long I am trying to distract her as much as I can as she doesn't seem to do this with her other toys but i don't want to take it away from her because this may just distress her.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 10:33am
Give her alot of TLC.eggnchips is correct.Keep us updated.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 11:07am
my daughters american bulldog bitch actually produces milk when she has a phantom

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-86294/Our-dog-suffers-phantom-pregnancies.html
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 11:10am
she is having a phantom pregnancy it's ok just look after her and give her, her own space don't take the toy away, it's occurs six to 12 weeks after she's completes her estrus cycle you'll see that she's lactation and enlarged mammary glands, weight gain or abdominal swelling.

remember you'll have to wait 3 months after her estrus cycle to get her done. hope this helps my last dog did the same thing.
Posted By: fruitcake Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 1:46pm
thanks for all the advice, that is definitely the problem.
I think I will be getting her done as soon as the time is right but for now just lots of tlc... she is happy with the paddling pool in the garden at the mo so I think this is taking her mind off it for now..
Posted By: guitarlad Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 9th Jul 2013 6:40pm
Typical female lol.keep her entertained to take her mind off it.plus the cold water will cool her down.That helps to stop the urge.You doing a good job hun.
Posted By: fruitcake Re: husky behaving a bit odd - 10th Jul 2013 9:34am
"typical woman" funny that's what my husband said

Attached picture samsung_595.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral