Forums
Posted By: SpongesGirl Puppy worming tablets - 29th May 2013 5:28pm
Hi, I have a 5 month old Alaskan Malamute and he's due for a worming, I know this is optional but I want to make sure he's healthy. Money is tight at the moment so I want the best but cheapest option.

I've had a look at the Pets at Home website and around ebay but I didnt realise how many variations there were. Yes he's a puppy but he's well over the 8kg weight restriction on some of the packs and there's all sorts of milligrams (mg).

I want a trusted brand which is why I haven't just gone out and bought a random tablet, problem is I'm still kind of new to the whole looking after a dog thing as I was only 10 when we had our other dog (a chihuahua, yes that's a bit of a difference lol) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Posted By: katyem Re: Puppy worming tablets - 29th May 2013 6:27pm
http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/dogs/worming

I buy all out dogs worning and flea treatments from here. We use drontal. The site will ask you the weight etc of your dog. All pretty straight forward. Cheap prices and quick delivery. I have never had a problem with them.
Posted By: katyem Re: Puppy worming tablets - 29th May 2013 6:30pm
http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/drontal-plus-flavour-dog-worming-tablets-priced-per-tablet.html

this one suitable for puppies and young dog 6kg upto 10kg give the whole tablet.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Puppy worming tablets - 29th May 2013 7:22pm
Whatever you do , dont use Bob Martin worming tablets.Our Lhasa Apso pup was poisened by one .We used the correct tablet & dosage.Thankfully he made a full recovery , but he was seriously poorly for a week . Bob Martin reimbursed me my vet fees , with no liability of course.
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 29th May 2013 7:54pm
Eeek! I was looking to buy the Bob Martin one's until they confused me with the milligrams. Think I'll just use their poop bags from now on then lol Glad your dogs ok though poor thing.

Thanks for the link Katyem, I shall have a look. Although Storm (the Puppy) was actually weighed at the vets last month and was 10kg exactly. He's a bit of a huge puppy really and he actually doesn't eat his recommended daily intake, he just eats what he wants and leaves the rest. But he is getting better and eating properly now and in less then a month his daily intake will go up. He's gonna be HUGE!
Posted By: MikeT Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 5:29am
Originally Posted by SpongesGirl
But he is getting better and eating properly now and in less then a month his daily intake will go up. He's gonna be HUGE!

I don't get this, he's gonna cost you a fortune to feed and you're worried about the cost of his worming tablets?
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 8:39am
Originally Posted by MikeT
But he is getting better and eating properly now and in less then a month his daily intake will go up. He's gonna be HUGE!

I don't get this, he's gonna cost you a fortune to feed and you're worried about the cost of his worming tablets?
I think everyone is entitled to the companionship of some sort of pet,but if you are worried about the cost of a few worming tablets I don't really think a dog is for you as any size of dog is going to cost you literally thousands of pounds in vets bills,healthcare and proper nutrition during its,hopefully,long life.Better off with a goldfish I think.
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 11:50am
Erm do you not think I'm sourcing the cheapest option for everything? Maybe I've sorted the cost of food? I've been paying £10 a pill plus £27 vet check up everytime so the wormin tablet is a massive save. I haven't only just got the puppy, Ive had him since he was 10 weeks old. It's only now that money is tight as it's the time of year were all my car costs have to come out.

Please don't assume that, I've just decided I want a dog and haven't done any research in to the breed or costing exercises. I can afford the dog and will put him before anything, I just want to be a little more comfortable with my money and since I work my arse off for the money I earn which most is taken by the tax man I'm well and truely entitled to do what I like with my money. The savings will more then likely buy toys etc for him and before anyone says, he is not home alone whilst I work. I see that puppy as my child and wouldnt dream of leaving him alone, I want to give him the world and in order to do this I will have to make saving where possible.
Posted By: katyem Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 1:02pm
Who wouldn't source the best for their dog at a reasonable price?

Pets at Home and Vets rip you off with the worming tablets and flea treatments etc. For one effipro flea pipette the vets round here charged £8!! I can buy 4 pipettes for under £10 from animed and the same goes for worming etc.

Only thing I find Pets at Home for is if you join the VIP club you do get regular £5 and 10% off vouchers which I use on dog food (they have some good offers on their dog food and dog toys)
Posted By: katyem Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 1:03pm
Oh by the way Sponges girl they do a XL drontal for dogs 10kg plus and they are very helpful on the phone with advice etc Animed that is smile )
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 1:18pm
medicanimal.com, thats where we get our flea/worming/etc stuff from.

I didn't realise getting a dog meant not trying to get value for money on things that most vets add a huge markup on :S

Why pay extra for the same thing??
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 30th May 2013 8:20pm
Originally Posted by rhoobarb2002
medicanimal.com, thats where we get our flea/worming/etc stuff from.

That's quite a good site actually, thank you.

Originally Posted by katyem
Only thing I find Pets at Home for is if you join the VIP club you do get regular £5 and 10% off vouchers which I use on dog food (they have some good offers on their dog food and dog toys)

I've joined the VIP club too, I like the fact you can take the dog in and try things on. I've recently bought him a car harness from there, I've had to buy the biggest size and have it on the smallest fitting. Saves me in the long run but the girl there had actually tried 3 different harnesses on him before we decided on the large one so they are brilliant for things like that. Will definitely be using animed it's a bargin on everything on there. Thanks for the help it's much appreciated :-D
Posted By: MikeT Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 3:55am

will put him before anything,

I see that puppy as my child

I want to give him the world

Seeing a pet as a child substitute is not healthy - for you or the animal.

I have no problem with you wanting to make the most of your money - but I wonder about your priorities.
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 9:18am

I have no problem with you wanting to make the most of your money - but I wonder about your priorities.

Haha! Some people are unreal. Obviously he's not a substitute for a child, if I wanted a child I would have a child and will be having one when it's finacially viable to do so. The dog is treated as a dog but I love him as a child. My life's perfectly fine and my puppy is having the time of his life with us, I've never seen a more happy, loving dog in my life. You don't know me so stop assuming and judging me, is your name Simon Powell? Are you gonna give me a life changing contract? No if you've got nothing nice to say don't bother answering my posts thank you very much.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 11:08am
Simon Cowell?
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 11:47am

Haha! Some people are unreal. Obviously he's not a substitute for a child, if I wanted a child I would have a child and will be having one when it's finacially viable to do so. The dog is treated as a dog but I love him as a child. My life's perfectly fine and my puppy is having the time of his life with us, I've never seen a more happy, loving dog in my life. You don't know me so stop assuming and judging me, is your name Simon Powell? Are you gonna give me a life changing contract? No if you've got nothing nice to say don't bother answering my posts thank you very much.

There Mr T. You just got the good word!
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 2:01pm
here you go hun

ps get some pics up of her/him smile

Don't worry what people say hun, if you got a goldfish someone would moan it wasn't 24 Carat wink
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 3:13pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Simon Cowell?

Him as well lol, anger makes me spell wrong grin I would blame auto-correct but I've turned that off because it was doing my head in and I proof read it, disappointed in myself lol
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 3:22pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
here you go hun

Don't worry what people say hun, if you got a goldfish someone would moan it wasn't 24 Carat wink

I know, I just hate bullies there's too many of them in this world who pick on the weak to make them feel better. They're pethetic and need a good slap lol how do you put photo's up on here? I've got plenty on my phone :-)
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 4:27pm
here you go hun

I know, I just hate bullies there's too many of them in this world who pick on the weak to make them feel better. They're pethetic and need a good slap lol how do you put photo's up on here? I've got plenty on my phone :-)

how to put pic on smile
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 7:34pm
[quote=SpongesGirl][quote=eddtheduck] ps get some pics up of her/him smile

The 'add file' button wasn't working so dusted the cobwebs off my Photobucket account lol This is my little poser :-) he actually sits like that and waits for you to take a photo lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 7:46pm
Omg how cute smile
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 8:42pm
He's such a loving puppy, who said money can't buy you love? Forget mans best friend, he's Mummy's little boy lol
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Puppy worming tablets - 31st May 2013 8:47pm

.... Agreed! .... Nice picture .. He`s a little cracker isnt he.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: woofie Re: Puppy worming tablets - 1st Jun 2013 5:13am
He is such a cutie. I bet he`s a bundle of fun? It makes me wish i could have a Dog again. It looks like he`s been exercising his Gnashers on the corner of the Rug! laffin
Posted By: Tilly Re: Puppy worming tablets - 1st Jun 2013 7:35am
Hiya, what a gorgeous pup, ignore negative people.
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't, lol I see my 4 dogs as my babies and yes I am skint most of the time, I can't afford to feed myself sometimes but my dogs never go without.

What food is he on? The reason I ask is, I feed raw food to mine and never have to use flea or worming treatment, if you would like to know more just ask and I'll send you all the info to get him started.
Karen xx
Posted By: SpongesGirl Re: Puppy worming tablets - 1st Jun 2013 11:10am
Originally Posted by woofie
He is such a cutie. I bet he`s a bundle of fun? It makes me wish i could have a Dog again. It looks like he`s been exercising his Gnashers on the corner of the Rug! laffin

He is a bundle of joy, couldn't imagine life without him. It's safe safe to say the rug has gone to rug heaven lol was alright though because it was just an off cut of carpet someone had given us for when he wanted to be in that room with us so had somewhere to sit and didn't slide on the laminate.

Originally Posted by Tilly

What food is he on? The reason I ask is, I feed raw food to mine and never have to use flea or worming treatment, if you would like to know more just ask and I'll send you all the info to get him started.
Karen xx

He's on dried kibble? I had him on Eukanuba as advised by everyone but it gave him the runs so he's on Beta by Purina because it's got probiotics in and that seems to of half settled the problem but yea send the info, I'm open to suggestions. He did manage to eat 5 raw eggs, shells included. He's learnt to jump up at the counter and grab things which we're trying to snap out of him but cant tell him off if we don't know he's doing it. Don't ask why the eggs were left out, it wasn't me lol
Posted By: katyem Re: Puppy worming tablets - 2nd Jun 2013 2:54pm
Awww he's gorgeous!
Posted By: missmoneypenny Re: Puppy worming tablets - 2nd Jun 2013 3:40pm
Originally Posted by woofie
LOL,Must admit he is a reall cutie.It makes me to want a puppy.Aw he make my heart melt lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral