Forums
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 12:06am
A kitten was advertised on Facebook as "Free to a good home" as the lady was working alot and didn't have time for her. The kitten is 13 weeks old.

I thought it would be a good thing to do as we have always wanted one and having 2 kids ( 3 and 1) with a pet for them to grow up with,

So i took her home, the baby can't keep his eyes of her! Offering her food which she takes out his hand.

She's had a good old stroll round the house and settled in nicely...

Only up until now, 6 hours after collecting her. She feels she has made the wrong decision as her young son is upset and she didn't realise how attached he was to her so she wants it back..

Deep down, I dont want to, she is lovely and the kids adore her!

What should i do?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 12:19am
Oh dear, I wouldn't know what to do either. As you didn't pay for the kitten then it's safe to say that there was no contract when the cat was handed over. I think if money had changed hands it might be a different story.

I think under the circumstances I'd probably end up giving the kitten back although it's going to be sad for you children too and personally I'd be very angry with the woman who gave it away, she doesn't sound like a very responsible adult. Maybe try to find a more reliable source to get another one, is there a cats home nearby or perhaps a vet who knows of others kittens needing a good home?
Posted By: rover644 Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 12:36am
Been there myself. If you return the kitten i have a feeling it will be back on facebook in a few weeks as thr reason for getting rid will resurface. If you can give the kitten a good life i would keep it. Tell them this, if they persist just ignore them.
Posted By: trouble Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 12:43am
just ignore it . she shudda thought bowt all this an her kid will soon get bored again . think bowt yours. u only be worrying every night hopin she aint dumped it somewere. if she decides to get shut again it mite go to a bad home think abowt it
Posted By: TheDr Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 1:31am
In six hours she has stopped "working a lot".

My guess is that the son missing the cat is to pull at your heart strings, she must have known this beforehand so it's nothing new. As the cat is on FaceBook, the "free to good home" basically means she wanted rid, now one of her friends has said she wants the cat or someone has offered her money.

The cat is yours, she handed it over freely and your kids will also miss it if it goes.

Think of your kids, she had time to think of hers and made a choice.

I hope the cat has settled in to a new home.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 3:54am
does she know where you live? If not then bugger her and keep the kitten.

If however she has your address I'd be more inclined to give it back in case she's a nasty piece of work and comes round to hassle you all the time with her tearful son in tow or worse still steals the cat when you eventually let it out!

Let us know what you end up doing please
Posted By: s7uajones Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 8:10am
I would keep the kitten, the other party wasn't bothered in the first place about the wellfair of this tug of war cat
Tell her to get lost
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 8:45am
Its not fair on the kitten to be passed around like a party favour. Keep it and give it the home it deserves.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 9:50am
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko
Its not fair on the kitten to be passed around like a party favour. Keep it and give it the home it deserves.

withthat
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 10:25am
As the doctor says, the reason for giving the kitten away was 'working' a lot ,that wont have changed, keep it and enjoy with your family.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 10:42am
Shaunthesheep, keep the kitten, its not fair to take it away from your children now niether is it fair on the kitten.

The kitten is yours.

The original owner does not sound very responsible and like the dr says has probably been offered money.

Block the person on facebook and ignore their requests, don't feel bad about it, think of the kitten and your children and the fact the kitten now has a stable loving home happy
Posted By: mb2496 Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 11:06am

Give the cat back... you've only had it 6 hours!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 11:14am
So many kittens are looking for homes I find it difficult to understand this tale.
Posted By: rocks Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 11:19am
keep the cat its only really dogs that suffer if someone is out working all hours, cats are very independent so it was a lame excuse in the first place. whats the update now?
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 11:22am
I think this is a terrible comment and notice he added 'only joking' as an afterthought probably realised it would bring a lot of nasty comments!
If he has got a dog, how would he like it to be thrown in the canal.
Kittens are so friendly and defenceless.
The new owner should definitely keep the kitten, so many are desperate for good homes.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 11:25am
Keep the kitten,Sounds like you have more to offer than the other owner.
Keep us updated.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 11:55am
Keep it !
Posted By: GazLar Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 12:21pm
don't take it back, this kitty is now part of your family. You need to love and cherish this kitty. But don't cut its whiskers off
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 6:15pm
Definately keep the kitty smile
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 26th Feb 2013 9:12pm
Ok thankyou very much for all your input.
Alot of valid points!!

Deep down I want to keep her, but now it's a little out of hand, everyone is getting involved.

I'm a DJ around wirral and liverpool, and me and the previous owner have alot of mutual friends via facebook.

Some of which have messaged me who appear at my gigs.

A good point is that there are plenty of cats looking to be rehomed.

So I am going to do what I feel is the right thing, not for the owner but for her children and give her back..

I have made a call to the RSPCA and going down this week to fill in questionnaire, have a home check then pick my kitty(s)

I am very reluctant to give her back, as she said she has no time for her, but as someone else said, cats are very independent.

This will also save me a headache and people cannot harrass me at work..

Thanks again all!!

Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 27th Feb 2013 9:44am
Sad story, you will just have to hope that her reasons are valid and truthful for the kittens sake.

Another reason I will never have facebook or any social media account. More bad than good, bullying, gossips, etc.
Posted By: rocks Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 27th Feb 2013 12:11pm
you had to do what felt right for you wink i hope you find an equally lovely kitten/cat that will fit into your family and dont forget to post pics up when you do smile
Posted By: Daltone Re: Please Help! What should I do? - 28th Feb 2013 2:53pm
The cat is yours as it was gifted to you.

.. do whatever you like with it! .. within reason. I'd keep it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral