Forums
Posted By: Davefabo wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 5:14pm
I live close to Barnston dale. It surprises me that I have never seen a rabbit in the dale or surrounding area as there is loads of grass and wild flowers for them to eat.
So where on Wirral are there wild rabbits?
Can anyone tell me their sightings of Wirral's wild rabbit population?
Posted By: Uffda Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 5:41pm
An ex boyfriend lived in Thornton Hough and there were loads of wild rabbits there. His cat used to go out everyday and down a suitable candidate to feed her kittens.
I've always wondered why they aren't found further north Wirral, although I did see a pheasant on Leasowe Common the other day which was strange as there are so many dogs around.
Posted By: Zubee Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 5:41pm
Loads of the at Wallasey Golf Club.
Posted By: dobhh Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 5:49pm
Loads in the fields around the United Utilities plant in Meols !
Posted By: Bobario Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 6:38pm
I went for an early morning ride on my bike about three weeks ago and there were loads sitting in the road leading past the gunsite carpark up to Leasowe shore. They all scarpered when they saw me.
Posted By: torryman Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 6:58pm
There's always rabbits in the field by the church at Frankby Cemetary
Posted By: valli Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 7:02pm
Barnston dale, Storeton woods, Royden park, Thurstaton,and all along the Wirral way and coastal area.I have seen wild rabbits in all of these places.But one morning,last year down at Leasowe beach, someone had left pet rabbits at the mercy of the elements and several terriers. A lady from the the dog pound or RSPCA had a net and pet carrier. She was trying to rescue them.Please if anyone cannot cope with small pets such as these please take them to a sanctuary.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 8:36pm
Maybe around Barnston Dale it's just not the right kind of soil for burrowing? Or too isolated from other rabbit populations?
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 11:36pm
I see them regularly in Eastham woods - seem to be loads of them there. smile
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 18th Feb 2013 11:48pm
Leasowe golf course and Landican Cemetery' the ones in landican like to munch on the fresh Carnations. I have also notice the growing number of moles also.
Posted By: davew3 Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 12:04am
Don't forget there is a pair of buzzards living in that area, plus a few smaller birds of pray, plus people with guns, probably ducking, diving and weaving has a real meaning to a rabbit in that area. :-)
Posted By: Dilly Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 9:42am
This is all good information for people that only want to hunt them, hope none of them are on Wiki.
Posted By: Davefabo Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 10:39am
I dont want to hunt them, I want to photograph them, but they are never in Barnston dale.
I have photographed Badgers, Barn Owls, greater spotted woodpeckers, Lord Lever Pheasants and loads of other lovely wildlife in the dale, but never seen a rabbit, a deer would be cool as well!
Posted By: granny Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 11:10am
Davefabo, this is off topic but whilst you are here, can I ask how you have done with helping the swallows? There were so few last year, it was worrying.Hope they have a better one this year.
Posted By: rocks Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 11:58am
Originally Posted by Davefabo
I dont want to hunt them, I want to photograph them, but they are never in Barnston dale.
I have photographed Badgers, Barn Owls, greater spotted woodpeckers, Lord Lever Pheasants and loads of other lovely wildlife in the dale, but never seen a rabbit, a deer would be cool as well!

it would be nice to see some of your photos smile
Posted By: Dilly Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 12:00pm
Originally Posted by Davefabo

Wasn't pointing the finger at you Dave, good luck with your photos.
Posted By: Christine12 Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 1:51pm
I've seen loads down by Power Road/Riverwood Road going down to the river there.
Posted By: valli Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 19th Feb 2013 8:55pm
To Dave RE Wild rabbits go further across towards Landican and Storeton you may get some good photos there I used to work in Barnston for many years, And walked from Roman rd to Barnstondale often Seeing all the wildlife you mention and rabbits and hares.hope this helps
Posted By: Habdab Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 13th Apr 2013 7:01pm
Tonnes of Bunnies along the railway embankment at Wallasey village end of the New Brighton Promenade.
Don't get too close, they'll go for you throat and suck your blood
Posted By: jerdubig Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 13th Apr 2013 7:05pm
Loads of Hares and Pheasants at Landican
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wild rabbits on Wirral - 13th Apr 2013 7:13pm
To Late Vampire Bunnies Are Here...

Attached picture bunny.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral