Forums
Posted By: LittleFoote House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 1st Feb 2013 7:01pm
Does anyone have any ideas how to train a 1 year old male, castrated, Shih Tzu?

He soils the pads in the kitchen, but if you move them he will still use the original spot.

Take him for an hour walk, come home, let him out the back, bring him in and as soon as you turn your back he soils the pad.

Take him outside every hour with the other 4 dogs he sits and watches for 10-15 mins comes back in, as soon as you leave the room he soils the pad.

I have never managed to catch him in the act so can't correct his behaviour when he is being 'naughty'!

We are at our wits end!!
Posted By: Madge Re: House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 1st Feb 2013 7:45pm
Have you tried not reacting at all when he soils just cleaning it up, but keep going into the room with the pad every ten mins and if its clean making a fuss, it will take time, but he will learn that he gets a fuss when the pad is empty and no attention when he does something there, and when the other dogs poo where they should make a huge fuss, he will catch on eventually, we have a female shih tzu and she is a stubborn begger, but that theory worked for us regarding other issues,
Posted By: LittleFoote Re: House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 1st Feb 2013 7:52pm
That sounds worth a try!

Just can't get over him!! He is really cocky too!!
Posted By: Madge Re: House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 1st Feb 2013 8:20pm
They are, you will have to persevere with it for a while, this wont work overnight, but eventually he will realise what he should be doing,and especially if he sees the others getting fussed over when they do it in the right place, they may wonder what the heck is going on lol, but you`ll get there,
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 1st Feb 2013 9:03pm
There is lots on Google about toilet training this breed. Seems to be not to easy a task.
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 4th Feb 2013 7:34pm
I have a 5 year old shih tzu girl, she was a dream to train, i think one of your problems is the puppy pad, i would remove it! just put paper down moving it closer to the back door until eventually its outside. Your dog will then get to understand where he should be weeing!! Also if the garden is enclosed and secure then i would leave him outside until he wees. Make sure after each sleep you coax him to wee, just like you would with a small child when your potty training, your tone of voice and a treat after each time he performs will soon teach him. Be patient he will do it. Good Luck.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: House train a 1 year old Shih Tzu - 4th Feb 2013 7:56pm
Went to the zoo the other day, they only had one dog!
It was a Shih Tzu.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral