Forums
Posted By: Toffeenose Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 7:12pm
We will be needing somewhere for our dog to spend the night in March and have been researching some local kennels.Does anybody have any recommendations?Would anybody recommend GreenFields in Meols...thanks..Peter.....
Posted By: futurepast Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 7:17pm
I would never use a kennel for my dog to be honest,try looking for a dog sitter for the 1 night instead It shouldn't cost yea much.
Posted By: keving Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 7:18pm
Larton near Roydon park looked after one of my dogs last year for 2 weeks, I was please with what i saw.

You have to make sure all you vaccinations are up to date including kennel cough. That's the same for all kennels...

Posted By: eggandchips Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 7:51pm
pm sent
Posted By: saltytom Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 8:21pm
We are now using Pet pals uk, just google it your dog is put with a vetted family who can only take one dog at a time fully insured, you check them out.

We have had with a couple of chancers the last one in Wallasy Village left him with 5 other dogs result a torn ear facial bites and a vets bill.

Would you leave a child with !!!!!
Posted By: saiyan_gmt Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 8:33pm
I can highly recommend a dog sitter in bromborough - Amy from pampered paws 0758315138. She also does grooming and adores dogs
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 8:34pm
we use Larton when we go on holiday, no problems.
Posted By: BadWolf Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 8:39pm
Be very careful when choosing kennels. I used to work at Glenbrittle in Burton. Advertised as 5 star. Absolutely disgraceful. Staff aren't allowed to walk the dogs unless they do it during their unpaid lunch hour. Dogs are doubled up in cramped conditions over busy periods when they are purposefully over booked.
I think the same thing goes for most places. The owners have no idea what really goes on once they leave their dog in kennels.
I would recommend the one in Storeton, can't remember the name, but I helped out there a few years ago and the dogs are walked twice a day and well looked after
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 8:59pm
Thank you for the responses people..in an ideal world , we wouldn't be leaving him at all , but its totally unavoidable.we have till march to make a decision about things..
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 9:03pm
neither would i, nor my friends, which is why i look after them for them, i've had dogs ranging from a miniature yorkie to a great dane and most things inbetween.

Originally Posted by futurepast
I would never use a kennel for my dog to be honest,try looking for a dog sitter for the 1 night instead It shouldn't cost yea much.
Posted By: hueyblueshoe Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 9:10pm
I use the ones in Storeton - Ivy Kennels - and no complaints. The people who run it seem to like dogs, and are always friendly. The place is clean and they're happy for you to look round and my dog seems happy.
They do day boarding too - so why not try them out and see how it goes. I hated leaving my dog the first time, but once I saw he was ok I was less worried.
Posted By: katyem Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 9:12pm
Our dog Dixie goes to Eggandchips' house and she had a fab time there smile
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 9:21pm
I have heard there are a lot of private 'dog minding' services out there, your dog doesn't go into kennels its fostered in someones house.
Just found this one.
http://www.animalhousewirral.co.uk/5.html

I personally cant recommend it as i have never used it, you should check out their credentials 1st, but i have used Kennels years ago with my 1st dog, both are mentioned on here, and i would not use either of them again. Its difficult when you want to go on holiday or need to leave them knowing they will be safe. I am fortunate i have a great friend who looks after my dog for me now, and more recently have been booking dog friendly places in this Country. I feel for you looking for a safe and reliable place, so good luck
Posted By: nickie Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 9:23pm
Eggandchips is your man, your dog will be better looked after than in the kennals.

Do it, you know it makes sense.
Posted By: sam_n_mark Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 10:59pm
I had a bad experience about 7 years ago with ivy kennels, we left our 10 month old pup with them for 2wks when we picked him up he had lost 5kg in weight!!!! And he had confirmed dog bites on his face that had gone septic! He also had lost half a front tooth, we went straight to the vet who later told me that they had done tests on him as they thought that he had contracted something there. We contacted the rspca, after far days of being at home, and as we didn't ring them straight away they couldn't help. I even took my own food to the kennels, hense I've never left them in kennels since
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Kennels - 22nd Jan 2013 11:48pm
thanks, nickie and katyem,

always glad to have your dogs
Posted By: cooldarls Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 12:51am
Where about are you and how much do you charge ???
Posted By: Howie69 Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 1:03am
Hi, can't recommend Greenfields in Meols enough! We put our Labrador in there every year when we go on holiday,the place is spotless and the staff are great.The dogs are exercised regularly and well cared for in spacious purpose built kennels / runs, it is a really professionally run kennels and our Lab is always in great condition and happy when we pick her up, she has sometimes even been shampooed. I think the guy who runs it is an ex police dog handler, I may be wrong , but he has the place spot on!
Posted By: venice Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 1:49am
Is Ivy kennels the one in Storeton ?It USED to have a brilliant reputation. I suppose these places keep changing staff etc, and so we all get different experiences .The Blue Stag ones that used to be in Willaston were dreadful, yet I heard the odd person praising it. So hard to decide- and you cant always get a one dog only private minder when you need one (And not everyone can handle big bruiser bullties that cant be trusted with other dogs either!)
Posted By: BadWolf Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 3:33am
Originally Posted by Howie69
Hi, can't recommend Greenfields in Meols enough! We put our Labrador in there every year when we go on holiday,the place is spotless and the staff are great.The dogs are exercised regularly and well cared for in spacious purpose built kennels / runs, it is a really professionally run kennels and our Lab is always in great condition and happy when we pick her up, she has sometimes even been shampooed. I think the guy who runs it is an ex police dog handler, I may be wrong , but he has the place spot on!

I'm not saying this is the case at Greenfields as I've never been there, but a lot of places use velvet coat spray on the dogs when the owners arrive to make it look like they've been groomed. Where I worked the receptionist would call through to us on our radios that the owner was here, and the dog would be brought into the kitchen area and quickly sprayed with the stuff so they would go back to their owners smelling nice when in reality it was the first bit of attention they'd had since being there. I'd never put my dog in any kennels after working there. And don't even ask about the cattery...
Posted By: Madge Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 8:19am
eggandchips please pm em cos i cant pm you
Posted By: Swizz Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 7:07pm
Eggandchips is brilliant, and the dogs never want to leave!
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Kennels - 23rd Jan 2013 7:56pm
thanks swizz

(they like your cakes as much as i do )
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Kennels - 26th Jan 2013 10:52am
it was nice to meet wilson and his owners, hopefully he will be the latest 'lodger' to stay at our house
Posted By: Howie69 Re: Kennels - 17th Feb 2013 1:27am
Might be the case at some kennels, but last time she had definately been shampooed, as her coat was still a bit damp and she looked like a right frizzball, also we saw the staff playing with her on the exercise yard as we pulled in and they brought her straight to us from there. Can't fault them!
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Kennels - 17th Feb 2013 2:00am
When we took our dog to greenfields, meols, we specifically wanted him to be fed on the food he was used to so we supplied a large bag of it and they said oh yes dont worry we will feed him exactly how you want it........ When we picked him up 2 weeks later, the bag of food was still full and they had been feeding him on a cheap rubbish make of dog food, he was filthy, stunk of urine and was not a very happy dog, labrador. I raised this with them but couldnt get much sense out of them. We take our dog elsewhere, no way would we go there again.
Posted By: venice Re: Kennels - 17th Feb 2013 8:49am
Put a smelly dog into Glenbrittle kennels for the weekend a couple of weeks ago as the owner was suddenly unable to care for her. Were told the dogs are fed at 8.30am and that they had water left down all the time. OH picked her up at 10.30am on the Sunday, she hadnt been fed, stank of cheap perfume yet not bathed, and worse, when he brought her here, she drank a whole very large bowl of water as if her life depended on it.

Anyone know anything about Five Oaks kennels , on A540 the same, but closer to Capenhurst?
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Kennels - 17th Feb 2013 6:06pm
We now put our dog in a kennels on the Raby road called Wynnestay. They are good, always busy and reasonable aswell. They get to know you and listen to instructions: if your dog has any special requirements like diet.
Posted By: venice Re: Kennels - 27th Feb 2013 11:07pm
Sorry , only just noticed this post Kevin. I think its as I said earlier, different people find different places good and bad. Heswall Animal Rescue werent happy with these kennels and moved their animals to elsewhere. Its a tricky one isnt it, deciding.
Posted By: Hounds Re: Kennels - 1st Mar 2013 4:39pm
Home boarding is absolutely the way to go your dogs are treated just like one of the family and get full home comforts you couldn't get much better. There is one that even offers training by a qualified trainer, a daily doggy diary and daily updates. X
© Wirral-Wikiwirral