Forums
Posted By: Patchouli Black/tan dog 'charlie' roaming the streets - 28th Oct 2012 10:27am
Hi folks, was driving home and spotted a dog wandering around by earlston rd doctors with no owner, i approached the dog and got close enough to see his bone shaped tag said his name was charlie and had a mobile number on. He was male, black coat and tan belly, medium sized, short haired coat with pointy ears. He looked very nervous, he snarled when i had his collar, so i backed off. A local girl said he has been roaming the area around earlston rd and penkett rd and the cemetary for a couple of weeks, and said he was dangerous as he had apparently bitten a girl in the park there, i tried to get him on a leash to get the number off his collar but couldn't get close enough without risking my arm. My partner called it into the police around 5pm yesterday (saturday) , they sent a patrol car to find him. If you know charlie, or his owners, please contact them and/or contact the police with any information.
He was very scared and needs love!
Aw hope Charlie gets back home safely.
Any more news on Charlie?
Posted By: Tilly Re: Black/tan dog 'charlie' roaming the streets - 29th Oct 2012 8:46pm
Shared on facebook x
Posted By: Tilly Re: Black/tan dog 'charlie' roaming the streets - 29th Oct 2012 8:51pm
Lost Pet Details
Request Reference: Birkenhead 19
Pet Name: Charlie
Species: Dog
Colour: ginger/white
Date Lost: 09 October 2012
Where Lost: Birkenhead
Description: Cross Collie/Springer Spaniel

There is this one registered as missing on the Wirral pound website. Colour does not match, has been missing since 9.10.12.

Is there any chance someone who sees the stray can get a photo?
Hi there,

I don't live in the area now, but there used to be a 'latchkey' dog called Charlie matching the description (same area, same size and colour, same bone tag with name and number on it). The owners used to just let him roam the streets, usually around Strathcona, Imperial Avenue and Penkett Road, but sometimes in Earlston Park too. He would jump on and 'harass' my dog, then run off somewhere in the park. Like you I could never get hold of him to call the police. This went on periodically for weeks, if not months.

Once, when with my young niece he followed us and nearly ended up under the wheels of a van, literally 2 inches from death. So I followed him home to Carrington Road where the neighbours all seemed to know him. I narrowed down the house and approached the female owner who claimed he 'just ran off when she was getting the shopping in'. It seems that he must have 'run off' every day (or rather she couldn't be bothered to walk him and let him roam the streets by himself). She certainly wasn't bothered, or out looking for him, like I would have been if my dog had run off. And her daughter was playing with him in the street as if it was normal that he would be out on his own. I told her that I would phone the police next time I saw him out by himself and I didn't see him again, then I moved out of the area.

I kind of hope that this isn't the same dog, because this was two years ago, but it does unfortunately sound exactly like him frown
Posted By: Norton Re: Black/tan dog 'charlie' roaming the streets - 8th Nov 2012 5:43pm
I've seen the Carrington Road 'Charlie' within the past week.

My daughter went through a similar process to yourself in tracking him down. And funnily enough, she got the same answer!

Given the dates, this can't be the same as the missing dog, sorry.
If it's the same Charlie that Patchouli saw then at least it means he's made his own way home. Just a shame that the owners are still letting him wander the streets during the day.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral