Forums
Posted By: Little_B My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 7:54pm
Can anyone give me any advice on what I can give to my dog to keep her a bit calmer possibly tranquilizers I'm thinkin long term if possible
Posted By: madrob Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 8:10pm
see your vet m8 you can get tablets
Posted By: Little_B Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 8:26pm
Cheers rob don't suppose u know how much they will cost
Posted By: venice Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 8:32pm
Yes, its no problem getting tranquilizers for bonfire night from the vet -- but dont reckon it would do them much good long term . If your dog is hyper, maybe he/she needs more demanding excercise if walking isnt enough - . As extra,we used to throw a ball up the stairs to the landing endless times for our nutty JRT , and use one of those springy ball throwers when outside. What breed and how old?
Posted By: madrob Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 8:38pm
about 2 qwid m8 but warning your dog looks pissed all night next morning back to normal
Posted By: Zubee Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 9:15pm
I'd advise against tranquilisers if you can. Gave them to my dogs on bonfire night and they weren't right for a good few days.

Try and give them a good long walk early in the morning and again early evening if you can during the few weeks of fireworks and stay in with them on actual bonfire night with the telly on loud!
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 9:37pm
Ask your vet about this stuff http://www.adaptil.co.uk/gb/Adaptil-The-secret-to-happy-dogs/Dog-stage/Adulthood I know some people swear by it.
Posted By: Tilly Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 5th Oct 2012 9:54pm
My friends dog is petrified of fireworks and thunderstorms so much so he used to wee himself..
she uses one of these thundershirts and it actually works..
http://www.ideas-4-pets.com/thundershirt-by-petlife-p-5077.html?gclid=CJfim_3u6rICFYXMtAodRgQA1Q
Posted By: Little_B Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 6th Oct 2012 9:43am
Cheers guys a couple of things for me to look into. My dog is a four year pold irish blue crossed wid an english bull I know not the type of dog that would usually be easily frightend but but she is a proper softy the noise of the bin wagon an yes thunder are all the same. Thanks again everyone
Posted By: Tilly Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 6th Oct 2012 10:42am
good luck x
Posted By: queenie Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 6th Oct 2012 1:40pm
I take my GSD for an extra long walk, turn the tv up an give her a bowl of bangers an mash for her tea... she loves her treat and is that full and knackerd she cant be bothered with them...
Posted By: CateJones Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 7th Oct 2012 5:17pm
For dogs that are scared of loud noises included fireworks, it's a good idea to try and condition them leading up to bonfire night. For example, having the tv on louder than usual, or, like my boyfriend does, playing army games on his computer, with the noise on loud! When I first got my dog, he hated the noise, and would leave the room if he turned the computer on, but now he's used to it, and is a lot better with other loud noises!
You can also get CDs from some Vets that you can leave on during the day whilst you're out. Just warn the neighbours, just in case they think someone's banging round your house! Haha!
Posted By: baldy749 Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 17th Oct 2012 5:58pm
We used to use a t-shirt on our Wolfhound and it worked a treat. (had to be a big t-shirt though!)
Posted By: vicki91 Re: My dog is terrified of fireworks - 21st Oct 2012 7:27pm
I'd definitely try an adaptil diffuser, i've been using feliway, which is the cat version to help settle my very nervous new cat and it seems to help. If you're using it to calm them down on bonfire night it's recommended that you plug it in one week beforehand.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral