Forums
Posted By: herbie1974 Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 7:53am
Hi,

Am in desperate need of help. We have had 2 bitches for the past 2 years who have lived in harmony up until about a month before I was due to give birth when they had a terrible fight. Despite phoning around all the local shelters and contacting Bulliesinneed we have been unable to rehome one of them. The shelters are unfortunately overun at this time with unwanted dogs. We have even had a trainer out and tried reintroducing them but one of them is unpredictable and we have therefore been keeping them separated which is not an easy task. Yesterday they had another fight. My partner got hurt trying to seperate them and this is not a safe environment for my 5 month old baby, definately a very bad wake up call that one of them needs to go asap.

One of them is a an american bulldog (8 years old in Sept 2012) and the other a bullmastiff x rottie (the instigator).

We feel that sadly the american bulldog is more rehomable (the trainer said this too last year) as she is gentle natured, great round people and other animals.

If anyone knows of anywhere I can try or of anyone that may be willing to take our lovely american bulldog please let me know. Its not fair on her or the other dog that they are living with this. In an ideal world I would prefer for her to avoid the shelter and go straight into a new forever home but my family must take priority no matter how hard this is.

Many thanks

Posted By: bert1 Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:06am
There's no way I would keep the aggressive dog in the same environment as the baby. Dogs have a pecking order, now the pecking order is you and your husband, bull mastiff and american, get rid of the american and the bull mastiff is still going to want the same pecking order as before. I would be in fear that it has shown aggression before regardless of whether it be towards the other dog that when the baby starts crawling and looking for cuddles off mummy it kicks off again. I would think long and hard before I would have a dog who has shown aggression in the same house as a new born, got to be very careful of the jealous factor,. Hope you get it sorted.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:24am
Get the dogs out of the house asap.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:25am
Get it euthanised if you cant rehouse it, its the only way to be sure.
Posted By: Lightning Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:46am
Pm Tilly on here hun, she would help you to get in contact with someone and she can give some good advise.
the dogs need to be separated. and i think one to one ownership. no kids or other annimals if you get what i mean.
Posted By: tinapaula Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:53am
anno its so sad but there right we have bin there and done that . we had a staff for 7 years from a 6 week pup then granchildren come along then he became Jealous one day while he was sitting on my knee my 2 year old grandaughter walked over and went to kiss him he went nuts and bit the tip off my thumb in a spit second . it was sad but do the right thing before its to late coz when these dogs turn it only takes a spit second .
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 7:38pm
The dog has issies with the other dog, it is not people aggressive, they have lived this long with them I doubt they need to 'get the dogs out now'!!!! I appreciate shelters are full, are you wanting to rehome both or one dog??? You need to keep the dogs apart and clearly. Let me just see if anyone can help without any of the dogs having to die.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 8:15pm
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko
Get it euthanised if you cant rehouse it, its the only way to be sure.

good god oshocked the owners needs advice and help. they have had the dog 8 years ffs.. there is no need to sentence the poor dog to death....

Herby...how old is the other dog you have, the Rotty x ??
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 8:24pm
Firstly you need to keep the good ABD and move the other one out, else you will just be keeping the problematic dog in your home, and wahst to say once the other dog has gone she won't turn still, she needs to go to a child free/ dog free home. Like Karen asks how old is the rottie x ???
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 8:29pm
Originally Posted by BridgetMoans
Firstly you need to keep the good ABD and move the other one out, else you will just be keeping the problematic dog in your home, and wahst to say once the other dog has gone she won't turn still, she needs to go to a child free/ dog free home. Like Karen asks how old is the rottie x ???

spot on Bridget

Have either of them been spayed, if not... are they due in season..
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 8:52pm
What made you get such bloody horrible dogs in the first place? And before anyone starts, I've got two dogs myself ,but mine don't want to remove body parts if they get a bit peeved.Do you work in the security industry or is it a "macho" thing?
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 8:55pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
What made you get such bloody horrible dogs in the first place? And before anyone starts, I've got two dogs myself ,but mine don't want to remove body parts if they get a bit peeved.Do you work in the security industry or is it a "macho" thing?

what do you mean horrible dogs?? what dogs have you got?
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:01pm
Two lovely girls of mixed heritage.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:02pm

Oh shut up.

People like certain breeds, take Labs for instance. They can be nasty, just the way people treat them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:07pm
I wouldn't have worded it quite that way but I agree with the sentiments.

Originally Posted by tinapaula
anno its so sad but there right we have bin there and done that . we had a staff for 7 years from a 6 week pup then granchildren come along then he became Jealous one day while he was sitting on my knee my 2 year old grandaughter walked over and went to kiss him he went nuts and bit the tip off my thumb in a spit second . it was sad but do the right thing before its to late coz when these dogs turn it only takes a spit second .

Never mind how many times things like this happen many owners believe their own dog would never be dangerous. A dog is a dangerous as its jaw strength, you can't expect any creature to never have a bad teeth day during its life.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:12pm
Originally Posted by MrPhil

Oh shut up.

People like certain breeds, take Labs for instance. They can be nasty, just the way people treat them.
Thanks for your input Phil,but I struggle to understand why people keep animals in domestic situations that would more correctly be kept in a zoo and then complain when they don't behave like cutie wutie puppy dogs,lets stand back for a moment and take sentiment out of the equation and ask ourselves why someone would want two dogs like this in an ordinary domestic situation.
Posted By: Lightning Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:13pm
Thats what i was saying a child free home as in a one to one no kids or other pets just adults.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:35pm
Two lovely girls of mixed heritage.

so you have no idea what they are mixed with?? hmmmmmm!!!!
Originally Posted by MrPhil

Oh shut up.

exactly..Phil..i've met some horrible little nasty dogs in my time..but hey it's not their fault they are like that. it's the numpty dog owners...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DEED NOT BREED
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:38pm
Thanks for your input Phil,but I struggle to understand why people keep animals in domestic situations that would more correctly be kept in a zoo and then complain when they don't behave like cutie wutie puppy dogs,lets stand back for a moment and take sentiment out of the equation and ask ourselves why someone would want two dogs like this in an ordinary domestic situation.

I've got 4 big dogs and a family...my dogs are part of this family. I also have 2 sons that fight and argue all the time..
should i get rid of one of them???
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:44pm
Ha Ha Tilly,nice one,but let's remember that breeds have traits bred into them which dictate their deeds.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:45pm
These rough dogs need punishing!

FIGHT!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:47pm
Our old Ridgeback Lily RIP.

Eating a kids leg.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:51pm
Sorry for your loss Phil,did you walk her on Walker park? I've seen a few on there.
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 9:56pm
Thanks Lud, she had a grand life, near 12 when she passed.

Not sure where Walker park is tbh, from near Parkgate.

We now have Katie aka ASW she is a 5yo JRT from the pound in birkenhead.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:03pm
Ha Ha Tilly,nice one,but let's remember that breeds have traits bred into them which dictate their deeds.

I agree. and who's fault is that??? humans..they used to be called 'mans best friend' it's man's interference that's killing them.

Anyway. I wish the owner would reply to the questions asked if they really want help confused

Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:06pm
Hi Phil, sorry but your location says Prenton,Walker Park is on Prenton Hall Road so I assumed you would know.I know the kennels on Corporation Road quite well as we look after the heating there.very fond of JRT'S only second to border collies.
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:19pm
Hi Phil, sorry but your location says Prenton,Walker Park is on Prenton Hall Road so I assumed you would know.I know the kennels on Corporation Road quite well as we look after the heating there.very fond of JRT'S only second to border collies.

LOL Now JRT's they don't bite at all do they smirk nasty lil sods <<<---- but bet you dont like me saying that cos yours is friendly right???

Toushay my friend!!!!! Dogs are not born bad!!!! So some are bigger, but with responsible owners who know what they are doing make fantastic family pets....
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:21pm
Was a tough fight but she just beat the baddie....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightning Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:26pm
Aw How cute is that and lying right next to her tin of heroes laugh
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:33pm
Hi Brid thanks for replying,but firstly I haven't got a JRT and secondly did you mean touche? But what I'm trying to say is ,if what most people would call a normal ie, average sized dog bites someone they have to get out the dettol,if a larger breed attacks you might have to call the undertaker.Hope this explains it for you.
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:36pm
Death by Great Dane - yup - hear it all the time!!! eek
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:38pm
Originally Posted by BridgetMoans
Death by Great Dane - yup - hear it all the time!!! eek
Hound of the Baskervilles.Ha Ha Ha.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:47pm
Hi Brid thanks for replying,but firstly I haven't got a JRT and secondly did you mean touche? But what I'm trying to say is ,if what most people would call a normal ie, average sized dog bites someone they have to get out the dettol,if a larger breed attacks you might have to call the undertaker.Hope this explains it for you.

I could show you a picture of a childs face after being bit by a minture dachshund but i wont coz it's horrific...it will take more than dettol to cure her.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:52pm
it doesn't look like the owner of these agressive dogs is coming back here tonight anyway, so maybe not as urgent for help as we where led to believe,
and I have other dogs to rescue so i'm off. goodnight all smile
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:52pm
Thanks for not posting it Tilly,but just to backtrack for a moment,what's happening to the original posters dogs I wonder?
Posted By: Lightning Re: Can anyone help - 19th Mar 2012 10:53pm
Thanks for not posting it Tilly,but just to backtrack for a moment,what's happening to the original posters dogs I wonder?
are you a dog owner???
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Can anyone help - 20th Mar 2012 8:51am
Who do you love more? The dog or your kid? If it mauls your kid you could end up losing both...

Seriously, get rid of the dog.
Posted By: herbie1974 Re: Can anyone help - 20th Mar 2012 10:55am
Thanks for all the helpful and not so helpful responses. As much as Id like to rant about some of the opinions, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I dont need to justify myself or my choice of dogs to anyone.

Tilly I am sorry for not responding back till now, is there anyway I can email you outside of this forum? Getting this situation sorted (around looking after the little one) is important to me. If not Ill respond as fully as poss
Thanks

Posted By: zippy49 Re: Can anyone help - 20th Mar 2012 11:26am
There are a few american bulldog websites ,that may be able to help you
Posted By: Tilly Re: Can anyone help - 20th Mar 2012 11:39am
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko
Who do you love more? The dog or your kid? If it mauls your kid you could end up losing both...

Seriously, get rid of the dog.

oh! shut up smirk

Originally Posted by herbie1974
Thanks for all the helpful and not so helpful responses. As much as Id like to rant about some of the opinions, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I dont need to justify myself or my choice of dogs to anyone.

Tilly I am sorry for not responding back till now, is there anyway I can email you outside of this forum? Getting this situation sorted (around looking after the little one) is important to me. If not Ill respond as fully as poss
Thanks

Hi Herbie..Thanks for your reply. I'm gonna pm you now.... smile
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: Can anyone help - 30th May 2012 8:40pm
This dog is now happily in her new home =) with a family and other dogs x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral