Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 23rd Feb 2012 11:21pm
Bought flea treatment for the mutts: and the guidelines say 'keep treated dogs away from cats for 72 hrs'. Is this a bit o.t.t?? Do we literally need to keep the cat isolated from the dogs. I know the risk is DEATH, apparantley but is that just by ingestion....or inhalation....,or what???

What does 'do not expose a cat to'....actually mean?
Posted By: Lightning Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 23rd Feb 2012 11:36pm
get it seen too
Posted By: Tilly Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 23rd Feb 2012 11:44pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Bought flea treatment for the mutts: and the guidelines say 'keep treated dogs away from cats for 72 hrs'. Is this a bit o.t.t?? Do we literally need to keep the cat isolated from the dogs. I know the risk is DEATH, apparantley but is that just by ingestion....or inhalation....,or what???

What does 'do not expose a cat to'....actually mean?

those products are intended for the treatment of fleas and ticks in dogs only. They contain permethrin, a substance that is safe for dogs but causes a toxic reaction in cats when present in spot on products, due to its concentration. Cats treated with even small amounts of spot on products containing permethrin, or allowed to groom dogs treated with any of the spot on products, can develop nervous signs such as depression, drooling, tremors, seizures, vomiting and staggering, and can die.

Dont let the cat touch the dog in anyway at all..god knows why this chemical is in the treatments at all if it's so toxic..I wouldnt use anything like that on my dogs to be honest hun..
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 23rd Feb 2012 11:50pm
I just use that spot on for my cats

Keep on top it of, I've always found that the best really
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 23rd Feb 2012 11:59pm
As Tilly posted,keep the cat away,don't let the cat lick the dogs or snuggle up together!
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 12:07am
I always used tea tree oil diluted worked a treat with my dog when I had him...never had one of the blighters...
Posted By: Tilly Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 12:13am
I've got 4 dogs and never had one flea or worms..I use Garlic in their raw diet.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 1:56am
Thanks people. Some of you know that 'Moo' the kitten, is a new addition to the fambo and so we've never had to take heed of Cat Warnings on the Dogs flea treatments until now!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 2:04am
The dogs tolerate her. Smack their noses on the very rare occasion that they give her shit!!

The 'flea treatment' info says a lot but, in fact, says nothing at all?!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 2:09am
@ Tilly. They already on Glucosmide, Fish Oils tabs-now Garlic tab suggestion-they recieve more nutrition than me n thee!! Lol x
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 5:02am
Your best paying the extra getting the Treatment from the vets, your wasting your time/cash with all the crap in the shops.
Posted By: tedmus Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 7:45am
Originally Posted by _Jase_
Your best paying the extra getting the Treatment from the vets, your wasting your time/cash with all the crap in the shops.

Get it online it's cheaper thumbsup
Posted By: Tilly Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 3:16pm
Did none of you read the first post properly? laugh .What difference is it gonna make where Rude buys it from? the flea treatment for dogs still contains the stuff that's poisonous to cats. laugh
Posted By: Tilly Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 3:20pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
@ Tilly. They already on Glucosmide, Fish Oils tabs-now Garlic tab suggestion-they recieve more nutrition than me n thee!! Lol x

Your not wrong there grin but I meant crushed cloves of garlic not tabs haha x
Posted By: tedmus Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 3:21pm
Originally Posted by Tilly
Did none of you read the first post properly? laugh .What difference is it gonna make where Rude buys it from? the flea treatment for dogs still contains the stuff that's poisonous to cats. laugh
I was on about Frontline, is that poisonous to cats?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 3:27pm
Originally Posted by Lightning
get it seen too

??????
Posted By: Lightning Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 24th Feb 2012 4:35pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by Lightning
get it seen too

??????
i took my last cat to thye vet and they gave him frontline, its great. using it on my cat i have just now, and worming tablets.best to buy a spray as well for the house .
Use it on the carpets and skirting boards.
hope this helps
Posted By: kimpri Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 25th Feb 2012 12:35am
Rude,just treat the dogs and don't worry to much about the cat being poisoned of Flea Treatment
keep the cat away for a few hours

The vets use the same stuff

Top 10 cat poisons Cicky smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Dog Flea Treatment and Cats - 25th Feb 2012 1:26am
Thanks Joe. It seems that the original point of my post has been lost?

Treated the mutts now. And the Kitten is still alive and well.... Keeping her away from Barney n Maisie, anyhow.

The original post was to ask whether the toxin in dog flea treatment is dangerous to cats thru ingestion or /and inhalation?

Went a bit tits up tho.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral