Forums
Posted By: manic28_am Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 9:35pm
Hello all,

Some of your experience and knowledge would come in useful. Stella hasn't been herself and after keeping an eye, I today decided to bring her in. She hasn't eaten for at least 24 hours, but did drink water earlier. She had a normal looking poo earlier today. I got her ex-bat nearly a year ago so I reckon she is 2-3 years old.

I have felt her crop which feels soft and baggy. I think I can rule out impacted crop, but not sour crop (although I've not smelled anything on her breath). She did grumble while I was doing this, but nothing excessive.

When she stands, it looks like she has had a vodka as she seems dizzy in coordinating her centre of gravity. She seemed to want to lean forward earlier today.

I brought her in to separate her from my other 2 and to warm her up as she was just standing there like a melon.

I noticed she had a messy bum (pic) and have included a side-profile pic of her so you can see her crop shape and her condition as a whole. She is a big bird anyway, but she has been ruffling a lot.

PICTURES > https://picasaweb.google.com/103203...Gv1sRgCODzooXhhoHXNw#5700201876289981554

Thanks for your time,

Andy
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 9:40pm
you should take her to the vets, that looks serious!
and it sounds that she is lathergic as well!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 9:42pm
With all due respect,have you any experience with hens?
Posted By: Wench Re: Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 9:59pm
Looks like it might be vent gleet. Get her checked out by a vet asap. There used to be a bird vet in Neston but not sure if they're still there frown There's also one at the end of Levers Causeway (can't remember the name, but they used to have a lovely horse called Ben I think, had a back to front L between his eyes). There's always Leahurst if you can't find anyone - they may be able to point you in the right direction smile
Posted By: manic28_am Re: Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 9:59pm
Out of 4 vets I've called three don't want to know. I'll take her tomorrow to any I can find open.

This was only noticeable today so am doing all I can.
Posted By: red40 Re: Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 10:07pm
FYI Manic, I got ex batts last year and spoke to my 'other pets' vet and I know they look at poultry, Allport Vet Surgery on New Chester Road. Failing that Leahurst small animal hospital will definately look at her for you.

HTH
Posted By: manic28_am Re: Poorly Hen - 21st Jan 2012 10:08pm
Thank you wench and red.
Posted By: swinds Re: Poorly Hen - 23rd Jan 2012 10:14am
hiya we had the same thing with one of ours last year - rang around many many vets to help no-one was really interested - i was told its just a hen.........but its the kids pet ....we found a vet tho in oxton.....took her there and they were very very helpfull
Posted By: Wench Re: Poorly Hen - 23rd Jan 2012 2:38pm
Mr Mutch (sp) is the name of the vet who used to be at the end of Levers Causeway. It finally came to me when I was on the loo smack It's been taken over by Mr Straughan - 608 5695 smile
Posted By: manic28_am Re: Poorly Hen - 23rd Jan 2012 8:54pm
Thanks for your help. Glad to tell you she is back outside following two days of tlc. Attention seeking hen for sale. Only kidding, seriously...thanks for your help guys...especially the numbers of vets and your experience.

Andy
Posted By: kevinhit Re: Poorly Hen - 23rd Jan 2012 9:13pm
We used to keep ex bat hens, we made sure they were wormed regularly. One of them had the same symptoms as yours, picked up but deteriorated again. The vet said sometimes this will happen with ex bats. We lost her but the others lived to quite a healthy age. There is a vet, in Seaview road, who is knowledgable about hens. Good luck but dont lose heart, youve given them a better life from the one they came from.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Poorly Hen - 24th Jan 2012 3:48pm
It is good that you care for the hens.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Poorly Hen - 24th Jan 2012 3:55pm
wiki spirit strikes again
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Poorly Hen - 24th Jan 2012 4:44pm
withthat
© Wirral-Wikiwirral