Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 4:54pm
can anyone help me out with this, im thinkning of getting some chickens and ive been told there are local bye laws regarding keeping them in residential areas
Posted By: manic28_am Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 4:57pm
No...you can get some. I have three ex battery hens in my back garden. You don't need a cockerel, but if you want one it is a good idea to check that your neighbours won't mind the crowing in the mornings!

Happy to show you pics of my set up and contacts etc. Drop me a PM.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 4:58pm
awesome fast responce

how noisy are layers ? i dont want to upset the neighbours

ive got a small stone shed i can convert for them
Posted By: manic28_am Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:05pm
They grumble and cluck but nothing too bad. Never had any complaints. The noise is actually quite nice.

Shed sounds ideal. How many are you thinking of getting? Three hens gets me about 15-20 eggs a week which is too many for me! I sell them in work for £1 a box.

Are you buying new chickens or getting ex-battery hens?

I got mine from Brish Hen Welfare Trust. www.bhwt.org.uk

Please consider giving some of these hens a future!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:06pm
was going to get 2 or 3, hadnt really thought of a source but may go down that route and give a few a decent home and life
Posted By: manic28_am Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:13pm
You get your girls for free... they just appreciate a small donation to cover transport costs (I gave them a tenner).

Let me know if you want more info.

Andy
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:13pm
i will thanks andy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:42pm
My sister's chucks.
This is Edwina and Maggie is in the hen house!
Sorry to those who have already seen these pics but,Jabber was away when I posted them.

Attached picture RIMG0233.JPG
Attached picture RIMG0232.JPG
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:50pm
cool bezzy, i need to sort a split door to the shed to make it fox proof, want to give the chicks free reign of most of the garden
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:54pm
You do know that they will eat all your plants and grass don't you?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:56pm
even if i keep em very well fed ?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 5:57pm
Oh yes!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 6:33pm
Up until a couple of years ago I kept hens. Just bog standard Isa Browns etc. Nothing fancy. They are great time-wasters ! Wonderful to watch them establish a pecking order (sorry). Easiest thing in the world to keep. Keep an eye out for Red Mites in the henhouse though. I got batches of 5 or six. In retrospect too many really. More eggs than I could sell from the house, or give away to friends.

Eggs straight from the nestbox are a hundred times better than even the best "organic free range" stuff from the shops. Dark, rich yolks. Yummy.

If you are having a fixed, fenced enclosure, it might start off as grass, but towards the winter it will end up like the Somme on a bad day. Amazingly it does recover though - until the next winter.

Keep the hen house as clean as you can. Plenty of sawdust etc. Clean straw for the nest boxes. Go for it ! They all become great characters. Plenty of good info on the net on how to get started.

I'm sure Bezzy (if she's still speaking to me. ha.ha) will agree that they are great things to have around the garden.
Posted By: hoseman Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 7:06pm
our neighbour has three, good sized ones too. Shes talked me into getting some, missus not too happy, oh well, bit of peace and quiet while im in the dog house (henhouse??) then!!
You need to check your deeds that there is no covenant about livestock (or landlord if rented). There is no need to register if you have less than 50 hens, I guess you won't want 12,500+ eggs a year.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 7:56pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Up until a couple of years ago I kept hens. Just bog standard Isa Browns etc. Nothing fancy. They are great time-wasters ! Wonderful to watch them establish a pecking order (sorry). Easiest thing in the world to keep. Keep an eye out for Red Mites in the henhouse though. I got batches of 5 or six. In retrospect too many really. More eggs than I could sell from the house, or give away to friends.

Eggs straight from the nestbox are a hundred times better than even the best "organic free range" stuff from the shops. Dark, rich yolks. Yummy.

If you are having a fixed, fenced enclosure, it might start off as grass, but towards the winter it will end up like the Somme on a bad day. Amazingly it does recover though - until the next winter.

Keep the hen house as clean as you can. Plenty of sawdust etc. Clean straw for the nest boxes. Go for it ! They all become great characters. Plenty of good info on the net on how to get started.

I'm sure Bezzy (if she's still speaking to me. ha.ha) will agree that they are great things to have around the garden.
handbag Indeed they are! Lol
Posted By: lainy Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 8:39pm
We have 4 chickens and we get 4 eggs a day. I know u may not beleive this but they all have a name and when we call them by their name they each come to us. They are fantastic.There names are sage,tikka,paxo and dorothy. the daughter gave them their names haha.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 8:54pm
Hmmmm,bit heartless calling one Dorothy! Lol
Posted By: rockster Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 10th Aug 2011 9:46pm
Maybe there should be a wikichicken section introduced.
I've been keeping them for about three years now.
Yes they all have names.
Yes if you let them on the lawn regularly they will destroy it(I've re turfed ours twice).
Yes you get the best eggs you've ever tasted.
Yes if they get poorly you take them to the vet(very entertaining in the waiting room--unfortuanately vets don't know much about chickens)
Yes they can be noisy(Normally in the early morning)not had any neighbours complain though.
Before I got them a few people said I had to check my deeds and I did and no mention of chickens.
Bottom line is get them.
They definately brighten up the garden.
If you need any advice PM me.
Cheers rockster.

Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 11th Aug 2011 7:26am
many thanks for all the info guys
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 12th Aug 2011 11:49am
Here
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 12th Aug 2011 12:48pm
Covenant in my old place stopped me from keeping pigs, it used to be church land and they didn't want any competition apparently when they sold it on
Good luck with the chooks, great idea.
Was thinking of asking my landlady if I can keep some chickens in the back yard. Not sure but I thought you needed a licence to keep chickens.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: the law regarding the keeping of chickens - 12th Aug 2011 7:49pm
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
Was thinking of asking my landlady if I can keep some chickens in the back yard. Not sure but I thought you needed a licence to keep chickens.
No Spanner chickens are fine,if you have a cock' then you would!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral