Forums
Posted By: The_Monk stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 1:47pm
i think it would be good and nice to stop members from giving animals away. i think that if someone really wants an animal off someone else then they will pay.

i think giving away is really open to cruelty. i know free cycle doesnt allow this.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 2:09pm
I disagree Monk, if someone needs to get rid of an animal, say they have a new baby and the cat doesn't like it then they should be able to offer said cat 'free to good home'. If a new owner would have to pay it would be a lot more difficult to remove the cat without adding to the strays on the streets or the already over burdened cat homes, then the aforementioned baby may be in more danger.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 2:23pm
withthat
Also prevents people murdering unwanted puppies/kittens ect and keeps our rivers and lakes free of corpses.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 2:38pm
I think the new owners should have a home visit though at least!
Posted By: Silverback Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 2:54pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk
i think it would be good and nice to stop members from giving animals away. i think that if someone really wants an animal off someone else then they will pay.

i think giving away is really open to cruelty. i know free cycle doesnt allow this.

Free to good home seems best to me, you don't know me, I don't know you, who's to say the dog/cat/parrot is mine to sell you?

ETA.

And don't for one second think just because I invite you to view and collect from "my" house that I actually livethere!!

Posted By: Kev30x Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 4:10pm
Im all for Home checks, perhaps a wiki member can have the job of pet home checker?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 4:59pm
Lmao!! Last month some members were crying why sell your pets. Can't win can ye. boohoo
Posted By: MissGuided Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 5:04pm
I tried to put a dead hamster on freecycle once - as a hand warmer. Needless to say, I didn't get any takers... think
Posted By: ponytail Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 5:25pm
Would it not be up to the owner to re-house their pet?
- how about if they "sell" their pet for 10p - just to satisfy the conditions of a "sale" - what good is this?
I gave my cats to a good home with the option of a visit to ensure they would be alright - I never visited as it would be too upsetting. But to have "sold" them - well, I don't put them into a category of "goods". I knew they went to a loving home.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 5:32pm
I realise the problem with giving them away, anyone who wants to take a pet should be able to afford to care for that pet, and the costs associated with keeping an animal, and thus should not be put off by having to purchase the animal initally.

However, I also understand the points regarding the situation etc, if you for some reason, do need to give your animal away quite urgently, and you have a price-tag on that animal, then it may take longer than required to sell the animal. I'm sure most people will only give their animals to a fit and proper person and loving home, regardless of the persons financial scenario.

Maybe Tilly could offer some advice with regards doing checks etc, as she reguarly helps to re-home animals iirc? I tried PM'ing her but she is over her PM limit at present.

smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 5:34pm
Strangely, you can OWN a dog, but not a cat, so how can you sell something you don't own.

If we want animals to have free will why should we decide who they live with ?

Free to Good Home - I think that covers it. If you want to check it's a good home, that's your choice.

A good home is worth more than a wealthy owner.
Posted By: Volly Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 5:35pm
What about a "re-homing" fee to deter freebie hunters who just want a free animal to sell on for a profit?

That way, the said animal isn't actually being sold but not given away free either - obviously only somebody who wants the animal will pay the fee for it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 6:56pm
I'm curious what a "home check" can reveal, it doesn't determine the exercise, love or diet the animal will get, just seems to be a bit of bureaucratic nosiness to me.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 8:15pm
I also don't like the idea of a home check. I would be wanting to re-home a pet, doesn't mean I want someone I don't know looking round my home. Just because I live in an untidy house (I don't) doesn't mean I am a bad carer!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 9:56pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
I also don't like the idea of a home check. I would be wanting to re-home a pet, doesn't mean I want someone I don't know looking round my home. Just because I live in an untidy house (I don't) doesn't mean I am a bad carer!

withthat
Posted By: mb2496 Re: stop members from giving animals away - 12th Jul 2011 11:04pm
All decent animal rescue centres conduct home checks to ensure that the home is suitable for the type of animal being rehomed. The really good ones will want to meet family members who live there too.

May I suggest that instead of selling/donating animals via Wikiwirral, use a well established animal rescue centre instead - they are set up specifically to deal with unwanted/unfortunate cases.

We have rescued a number of animals over the past few years and have found some of these centres/charities to be very good. I can recommend Freshfields (Ince Blundell) from personal experience.
Posted By: Mark Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 6:49am
Why not come up with a Advice List and we can include that somewhere.

Advice for the Buyer
Advice for the seller

Most of do care, so passing on a pet to a complete stranger, i dont think happens that often on wiki.

Wiki cant stop members giving pets away.
Like the for sale forums we do not get involved its between buyer and seller, but there is a Forsale Guide for those who are first timers.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...For_Sale_Rules_Guidlines.html#Post541391

Include a list of rescue centres so there only a phone call away.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 8:19am
Originally Posted by Kevinx
Im all for Home checks, perhaps a wiki member can have the job of pet home checker?
thumbsup
Posted By: puntoar Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 10:21am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I'm curious what a "home check" can reveal, it doesn't determine the exercise, love or diet the animal will get, just seems to be a bit of bureaucratic nosiness to me.

Well said
Posted By: derekdwc Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 10:43am
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee

I must admit I'm a bit of a hoarder and not a tidy up person
Perhaps it may work the other way - your house may be too clean and tidy, "a take your shoes off before you walk on my pristine floor or carpet" It could be an environment where the animal often gets told off often if it leaves muddy prints or has an "accident - number2" in the wrong place.
My wife once took in a dog that must of been terrified by a previous owner and it took a long time for it to settle down although the dog was always frightened to be let out into the garden - crying and pacing up and down to the back door to be let back in - sadly both wife and dog have passed away

Posted By: Tilly Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 1:24pm
All my pus went to people that I know are suitable owners,
I asked them all to fill out a questionaire, one of the questions on it was... ''would you agree to signing a contract stating that if anything was to happen that meant they could no longer take care of the pup no matter how many years had passed by, they would return it to me to find a new home''. Also I agreed to sign a contract stating that ''on the first health check by vet, if anything was found to wrong with the pup i would give a full refund and take the puppy back. all puppy owners agreed to everything without hesitation.
however if...(god forbid) I had to re-home one of my adult dogs,
I would do my own home check, similar to the ones I do for the UKGSRescue.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 1:30pm
Some people who say FOR SALE in vets etc do that to put of unwanted people who want be interested really, I got my two new cats and they were advertised with a price but the lady said it was then you only get really interested people and never charged us.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 1:44pm
Tilly, could you tell us what do you and the UKGSRescue look for when you do a home check?.

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 6:13pm
I can't understand anyone giving a perfectly edible animal away anyway.
Posted By: Silverback Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 6:20pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I can't understand anyone giving a perfectly edible animal away anyway.

I blame the parents, kids today are no longer taught how to slaughter and dress their own meat.
Posted By: Tilly Re: stop members from giving animals away - 13th Jul 2011 8:50pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Tilly, could you tell us what do you and the UKGSRescue look for when you do a home check?.

If the potential owners want a dog to live outside, it can only be a dog that is already used to living outside.

We do not re-home dogs to be used for guarding, breeding or anything other than as a family pet.

We do not place in a family home where they will be left for longer than 4 hours a day at any one time.

We don’t generally re-home in upstairs flats or where there is a communal garden or no secure area to ensure the dog’s safety.

The new owner must agree to have the dogs either neutered or spayed within 3 months.

New owners must also agree that we can keep in touch for the rest of the dog’s life. A follow up visit will be arranged approximately 6 weeks after the adoption, at which time we will take photos.

We do not normally re-home dogs to people who have 2 or more dogs.

We do not re-home our dogs to families who have children under the age of 7 years old, unless children have big dog experience and it has been agreed with Head Rescue Coordinator.

If the new owner already has a dog, we will only usually give them a dog of the opposite sex.

New owners are not allowed to re-home the dog themselves; the dog must come back to UK German Shepherd Rescue.

The new owner must be advised that we will match them to the correct dog.

New homes must have GSD or at least extensive dog owning experience.

The need for insurance is essential as the rescue will not be held responsible for vet’s bills.

New owners must advise us immediately of any change in circumstances which would mean that the dog is not getting the attention etc, that the dog deserves.

If everything goes well at the Home Check and you are able to adopt a dog through our Rescue, you must be made aware that you cannot at any time part with that dog for any reason, unless he/she comes back to our Rescue.

At the time of adoption, there is a donation expected to be paid for each dog. This goes towards the ever growing vet and kennel costs. This is non-refundable.

Adoption fees: £85-250 depending on age of dog. This is non-refundable and is payable on the day of the adoption. This is not payment for the dog but put towards funding to help other dogs needing our help.

Posted By: MattLFC Re: stop members from giving animals away - 14th Jul 2011 3:54am
That is a very comprehensive reply, and I'm sure it will be a great help to those looking to 'vet' (no pun intended lol) anyone wanting to adopt their pet.

The 4-hour rule, whilst understandable, is quite strict Tilly; do you find it has become a major obstacle to people adopting a rescue GSD?

Do you/GSDR offer a similar service, externally, in return for a donation to the scheme? If not at present, is it something you would consider doing for people?
Posted By: Mark Re: stop members from giving animals away - 16th Jul 2011 8:31am
It would be handy to see a

What to do if you no longer want your pet.
As that is what it boils down too.

So
List of Rescue Centres (one option)
(option 2)Things to think about before you give a pet away (checks Home / Personal)

If i was going to get rid of a pet how could you help me do it right which is right for me and right for the pet. And the best efforts to find a new home.

And then the flip side?
If i was going to recieve a pet for free off a friend or family what questions should i be asking to ensure i'm prepared for the addition. Because i dont want to switch sides and now i become the how to get rid of a pet.

It would be good if i could put your points in to 1 sticky post to at the least just make both parties aware.

mark
Option 3 - what to consider BEFORE you get a pet????
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: stop members from giving animals away - 17th Jul 2011 12:01pm
Reference the kitten in a bag, see what happens when you can't give animals away, fly tipping that's what.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: stop members from giving animals away - 17th Jul 2011 12:02pm
You do have a point there Bandy.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: stop members from giving animals away - 29th Jul 2011 5:25pm
I think the do gooders who with well meaning intend, dont want animals given away, should put ther efforts into something else. you need to keep things in perspective, if an animal is going to be made homeless for what ever reason, then a person who is offering a home should be thanked, and applauded not handed a bill of sale and a receipt. Ther are plenty of breeders out ther charging lots of money for animals, if somebody wants to pay, then im sure they would go ther. and as for shelters, yes they do a good job. They also charge about £100 for a dog and about £70 for a cat. I would rather spend that £100 and treats and a nice bed for the dog.

Animal rescue centres are overrun with stray and unwanted animals, you try getting your pet in ther if you can no longer look after it, most will say sorry dont have the room. then some people out of desperation just leave ther pets to stray.

I heard of a guy who took his dog to westkirby or hoylake and tied it to a fence and left it ther, cus he couldnt look after it, and the rspca wouldnt take it in.

So i say again do gooders. its more important that an animal gets offerd a home, and has a chance of a life, than it is to charge for a pet, and have home checks conducted .

I fully understand the thought that if somebody pays for a pet they are more likely to look after it. but im sure the good majority of pet loving folk out ther would not take on an animal with the intention of not looking after it.

I dont think ive ever been given a pet for free, but sometimes i think people have a right cheek charging for a pet thats not neuterd or spade not had any injections and needs worming and fleeing up to date, i would rather spend my money on the animal, than line the owners pocket . thats my humble opinion.

Posted By: Silverback Re: stop members from giving animals away - 29th Jul 2011 5:44pm
Originally Posted by sarahdavo
I think the do gooders who with well meaning intend, dont want animals given away, should put ther efforts into something else. you need to keep things in perspective, if an animal is going to be made homeless for what ever reason, then a person who is offering a home should be thanked, and applauded not handed a bill of sale and a receipt. Ther are plenty of breeders out ther charging lots of money for animals, if somebody wants to pay, then im sure they would go ther. and as for shelters, yes they do a good job. They also charge about £100 for a dog and about £70 for a cat. I would rather spend that £100 and treats and a nice bed for the dog.

Animal rescue centres are overrun with stray and unwanted animals, you try getting your pet in ther if you can no longer look after it, most will say sorry dont have the room. then some people out of desperation just leave ther pets to stray.

I heard of a guy who took his dog to westkirby or hoylake and tied it to a fence and left it ther, cus he couldnt look after it, and the rspca wouldnt take it in.

So i say again do gooders. its more important that an animal gets offerd a home, and has a chance of a life, than it is to charge for a pet, and have home checks conducted .

I fully understand the thought that if somebody pays for a pet they are more likely to look after it. but im sure the good majority of pet loving folk out ther would not take on an animal with the intention of not looking after it.

I dont think ive ever been given a pet for free, but sometimes i think people have a right cheek charging for a pet thats not neuterd or spade not had any injections and needs worming and fleeing up to date, i would rather spend my money on the animal, than line the owners pocket . thats my humble opinion.

How very uncharitable of you. laffin

All these places need the money so the bosses can buy new cars, and go off to foreign countries to check on the health and welfare of the animals in the sun!

In this time of austerity we should all do our bit to make sure the charities visible public face is kept as up to date as possible.
Posted By: FayePlayer Re: stop members from giving animals away - 6th Aug 2011 9:51pm
I think its atrocious charging for a new pet. Not all people have pets to harm or move them on for profit purposes. My mum and I have had four cats in the past and not one have we had to pay for one of them. Animals should not be bought like a piece of meat from the shop, if you didnt love animals you probably wouldnt buy one in the first place. We once got turned down from a cat rescue place because we lived in a council house, so you are not guaranteed with any rescue place. My best friend also has 2 cats and none she has paid for and we love are animals dearly. Me and my mum now only have 2 cats as the other has been missing since first moving to wirral 2 years ago August called Jelly in the wallasey area next to YMCA, a grey tabby short hair, white tummy and white socks. We miss her terribly. All our cats are microchipped so hope she is being well looked after. I will never pay for animals its not fair and not right, i agree with diggindeeper.
Posted By: Tilly Re: stop members from giving animals away - 6th Aug 2011 11:51pm
Originally Posted by Silverback
Originally Posted by sarahdavo

I'm obviously a ''do gooder'' then.. :)I am a volunteer for UK-GSRescue, we are all volunteers here, the donations charged for each dog, goes towards... vet bills... for vaccs, neutering,flea treatment and wormers and emergency care. Kennel hire for dogs that come in that are in danger of further abuse, or too viscous to be put in a home situation straight away, they cost £7 per day per dog..

volunteers pay their own petrol to transport the dogs from one home to another/or go to do 'Home Checks'and dog assesments. all our fosteres pay to feed the dogs in their care..

It's a thankless job but hey ho!! we are just ''do-gooders'' that care about the dogs, our main goal is to see all the deperate dogs find the loving home they deserve, And that is our reward... If we didn't home check anyone we could be guilty of putting a dog in to a worse situation than it came from...
So if us ''dogooders'' put our efforts into something else, who will take care of the unwanted dogs you say the rspca wont take in???
and as for the Arse-pca...Don't get me started on those w****rs

How very uncharitable of you. laffin

All these places need the money so the bosses can buy new cars, and go off to foreign countries to check on the health and welfare of the animals in the sun!

In this time of austerity we should all do our bit to make sure the charities visible public face is kept as up to date as possible.

ARSE-PCA... profits £90 millon and counting..
Posted By: MattLFC Re: stop members from giving animals away - 7th Aug 2011 1:10am
Tilly, I'm not sure if you are on the GSDR board of directors, but as the RSPCA is a charity, they don't make "profits" as the GSDR do, and certainly do not pay shareholder dividends etc, unlike GSDR will do, being a company.

According to Charity Insight, at their last annual returns, they posted a revenue of £129m, and expenditure of £119m - I think you are getting confused between revenue and profit. They held a capital of around 70m in 2008, so presumably the figure you are trying to use as propaganda is the capital held by the charity - I'm sure your friends over at GSDR will be able to advise as to why it is important for business and charity to hold capital, since their business appears to be making them lots of money, so they are obviously quite successful business people. How many directors are they employing now, 3 more taken on just this year?

I know you hate the RSPCA and everything it stands for, because it isnt the RSPCGSD and it helps all animals, not just GSD's, but look at it this way, at least the money that goes to the RSPCA isnt going to line the pockets of a profit-driven company.

wink
Posted By: Tilly Re: stop members from giving animals away - 7th Aug 2011 1:23am
I'm not with GSDR I'm with UKGSRescue
http://www.uk-gsr.co.uk/
and just because i volunteer for them doesn't mean I dont help in trying to rehome other dogs, cats and rabbits. you know nothing about me so don't asume anything...

The money that goes to the arsepca lines the pockets of the big wigs at HQ
Posted By: MattLFC Re: stop members from giving animals away - 7th Aug 2011 1:58am
Originally Posted by Tilly
I'm not with GSDR I'm with UKGSRescue
http://www.uk-gsr.co.uk/

Fair enough, but surprise surprise, that too is a company. You may be a volunteer, but there will be a few "big-wigs" involved in that, who are making a nice living out of it (though admittadly not on the same level as the big-wigs at the RSPCA lol).

wink
Posted By: FayePlayer Re: stop members from giving animals away - 7th Aug 2011 2:48am
Here, here. Well said MattLFC case closed
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: stop members from giving animals away - 7th Aug 2011 12:48pm
GSDR do not pay dividends to individuals, the limited company and charity status are purely to maximise funding and reduce risk. They have no paid staff and expenses are only usually claimed/paid when an individual is excessively out of pocket.

The RSPCA is in exactly the same position as GSDR, they are also a limited company and have charity status.

I'll let Tilly give you the run down on UKGSRescue.
Posted By: GinaDee123 Re: stop members from giving animals away - 31st Aug 2011 10:44pm
this really annoys me! Iv just got a dog 'free to a good home' and have since got her spayed, wormed and flea treated, she has two hour long walks every day, gets all the food attention and love she deserves, she is part of our family and is extremely well looked after, just because people dont want to pay throu the teeth for a new pet doesnt mean they are going to be bad owners!!!!!! Chavs who are willing to pay £100's for 'designer dogs' prob dont have as much time and love for there pets as people like me who are big animal lovers! Rant over!! Lol
Posted By: Pet_Shop_Girl Re: stop members from giving animals away - 1st Sep 2011 6:54am
Most of my animals were rehomes & I love them dearly but we do get people coming in that have got an dog free that was taken on impulse & can't really afford vets bills etc when they come around. Even if it's a token amount paid it makes people think a bit before making that commitment & stops the dogs head being messed up when yet again it's passed on to another owner. If from a specific breed rescue, I feel they offer lots of support to the new owner with a view to taking the dog back if it's having trouble adjusting to the family & advice but that doesn't mean that some organisations don't profit from what they do. I have nothing good to say about the RSPCA, what they portray on TV is nothing like their real practices, but again, that's only my opinion, they get lots of donations, unlike the small local rescues who pick up the slack !!
Posted By: Tatey Re: stop members from giving animals away - 1st Sep 2011 6:58am
Well said GinaDee123. I take my boy for walkies every morning & in grateful return, he takes me to the pub afterwards.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: stop members from giving animals away - 1st Sep 2011 1:07pm
What a lovely little one he is too! Does he buy the pints?
Posted By: Tatey Re: stop members from giving animals away - 2nd Sep 2011 9:56am
Originally Posted by Nobody
What a lovely little one he is too! Does he buy the pints?

Only when I give him his pocket money!
Posted By: Kev30x Re: stop members from giving animals away - 7th Sep 2011 7:45pm
The Monk started this topic and i see that he is giving his 8 yr old black cat away now!!

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ber/574980/gonew/1/Black_Cat.html#UNREAD

POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK? HMMMMMM!!!
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: stop members from giving animals away - 19th Sep 2011 3:40pm
Hey all grin,

I don't believe animals should be advertised 'free to good home' frown - I doubt everyone on here is ignorant to the fate of some of these animals. If they fall in to the wrong hands they are largely used as bait dogs either in dog fighting or for fishing or even breeding if your pet is not neutered (then they dump the dog and sell the pups) (yup, these things happen, I have some images if you'd like to see)! Staffies are so overbred right now that nearly 25,000 are being PTS yearly (this includes staffie crosses), rescues are busting at the seams with them and can't rehome them, infact a lot are turning the breed away.
When you home (lets say) a dog, you have commited to that animal for probably somewhere up to 15 yrs. You have a responsibility to find your pet a safe and loving home!Home check, neuter, follow up!

FREE TO A GOOD HOME: 2 year old child. Genuine reason, I've just got a new puppy so no longer have the time for the child. Also worried the child may bite the puppy. Child is potty trained and up to date on all shots. Needs home by tomorrow or it'll be put to sleep. Thanks!
YOU WOULDN'T DO THIS TO A CHILD SO WHY DO U SEE IT AS ACCEPTABLE TO DO IT TO A DOG/CAT? If you can't dedicate 10-15yrs to a dog/cat, DONT GET ONE!!

Lastly A letter from a dog!

http://www.forum.animallifelineuk.o...15&hilit=a+letter+from+a+dog#p147815

Animals are treated like an old pair of slippers these days, replacable, throw away and it needs to stop! Whilst there are some really genuine reasons for needing to rehome your pets, there are some that are ridiculous - 1/ I'm pregnant! Did you never intend to have children when you got your dog? You have 9 months to rehome your pet, don't leave it till week 38 and then go oops I best get him to the pound, he/she has been your loyal companion till now, they deserve some loyalty back!
Just saying whistle

Rant over! laugh
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: stop members from giving animals away - 19th Sep 2011 4:01pm
In respose to what does a homecheck prove! coffee
It determines whether they have a secure garden, everyone in the household is happy to have the pet, that they are not hoarders of animals, that they look like they have the capabilities of caring for your pet and good intentions. What if they lived in a terrace house with a 6ft x 6ft yard and they wanted to rehome your Great Dane, if you ever felt anything for your pet you would ensure they were going somewhere safe with nice people! oshocked Really people should be contacting rescues and giving them a donation to take on your pet and ensure a good home with follow up checks, neutering and a contract!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: stop members from giving animals away - 19th Sep 2011 4:58pm
I'd love to know the statistics on some of these claims, are these genuine things that frequently happen or perceived possibilities accompanied with scaremongering.

Most chav's with staffs seem to get them from their mate in the pub, not through free adverts. In fact, many of the chav's seem to pay ridiculous money for them, as part of the prestige is being able to say I paid £600/£800/£1000 for this dog, much the same as the gold chain round their neck, wrist or other appendage.
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: stop members from giving animals away - 19th Sep 2011 8:32pm
There is proof if you want it, that it does happen, only thugs have taken it a step further, they now break into your home to steal your dog, take them from cars or outside shops! If you have a pup, or an uneutered expensive breed then you could be a target. I don't wanna blab on as we live in Wirral, and although it has it's fair share of bad eggs there are places that are dealing with these things as a daily occurence. In fact people are posing as dog walkers for pounds and rescues and then not returning the dog! You would be shocked the lengths people go to.
I know because I have a lot to do with animal rights orgs, dog rescues and animal people! smile
Posted By: Tilly Re: stop members from giving animals away - 20th Sep 2011 12:55am
lol!! Bridget you sound just like me. I am always banging on about dogs free to good homes A lot of people just aren't aware of the lowlifes out there. I have just made a new ad on Preloved. even the name of this site sums up the way some animals are treated. http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1034506656/c403e4d4.html
I'm a volunteer for UK-German Shepherd Rescue and used to help with paws and claws small animal rescue in st Helens with rehoming dogs/cats/rabbits etc. Now and again I'm helping out with sponsored walks and fund raising for Birkenhead dog pound. I was one of the people that started the ball rolling to have improvements done at the kennels. I love animals, especially dogs, and especially German Shepherds, I have 3 of them and a GSD x Newfoundland...

There is evidence of people using dogs/cats for bait with their fighting dogs, several have been found mauled to death with their muzzle's taped closed so they cant fight back. The microchip on the dead dogs have been located and traced back to the previous owners who thought their dogs where going to loving homes. One lady made an appeal on pets4homes telling people of the guilt she will have to live with for the rest of her life. Stolen dogs have been found in the same condition too although a lot of them don't have microchips therefore their previous owners wont be traced and they will never know what has happened to their pet..The society we live in today is cruel, These thugs with their status dogs know that they will just get a slap on the wrist and maybe a small fine. The justice system is a joke when it comes to animal cruelty..
Posted By: BridgetMoans Re: stop members from giving animals away - 20th Sep 2011 9:16am
Hey Tilly thumbsup

I hate preloved, so many oldies with out a hope in hell cry I've emailed my thoughts to the powers that be regarding puppy farms, joe bloggs breeding etc.... It all needs regulating, there are just too many pets without homes. (Although Wales have just given planning permission for their largest puppy farm to date)! mad
As for FreeCycle some of them allow pets, but unless its common practice to take live animals and dump them in landfill sites then they do not belong on there. oshocked
I have just joined the facebook page for FOBCK so if anything comes up I'll jump in and help! And the pound at Birkenhead is busting at the seams guys so if ever you wanted to rehome a woofter nows the time (seen a lil yorkie in there)....

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/wirraldogs/DogsView.asp

By the way I'm single, I work, I have a son, I have a dog - it works (my dog goes to a dog minder when I'm in work raftl ) and he loves it!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral